Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Great work Swaffo!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

whooo hooo!

man, you was looking for that for the loooooongest time!

way to go swafman!

we want a full critique once it arrives!

way to go!
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

thanks, guys!

I shouldn't've spent that much $ right now on something so selfish, but as you noted, I've been looking for one of these for a very long time. I promise a full report as soon as it arrives, which may be as soon as the end of this week.

GSJ, I didn't mail your tape yet 'cuz I didn't wanna make a separate trip to the post office if I needed a money order for the Zaap, but since that was paid over the phone, I'll get your tape out asap.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

"ze Zaap, she has arrived."

A write-up will be done as soon as I get back from indulging in NYC yummies.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

OOPS!

GSJ, can you please move this to the pre-existing Zaap thread. My bad. Sorry, man.

(I dood it for him - JT)
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

JT - thanks, "dood"! 8^)

Well, before I pass out (only had two hours sleep with 600 miles driving since 07:00 AM Friday), here's some observations on the Zaap. Sorry, but for $100.00, I just can't afford to make this one an opener. Maybe some day......

But, from a peering-in-the-window perspective:

The VaderTIE is the smaller version.

The 'pewterization' really POPS the detail work on the sculpts, particularly on the 1/3 of the inner surface of the VaderTIE's "wings" where the fuselage mounts to them. I strongly recommend adding some grayish paint wash effect to this wing surface on any regular painted VaderTIEs in your collection to bring out that great detail work.

The figures look great, too.

Speaking of the "wings" on the VaderTIE, I just compared the Zaap version to five others (3 large & 2 small versions) from my collection, and the Zaap's wing panels are mounted opposite from every other one I have. The Zaap has its right-side wing mounted on its left plyon, and vice-versa. You can tell by the extra raised "bar" of detail on the upper-center-rear of the outer surface of the wings. On the Zaap, this raised detail bar is on the lower-center-rear.

The pewter finish is kinda chintzy-looking on the lower-forward portion of the main fuselage of the x-wing, like it was applied too lightly, but then there are stray glops of it in a couple places. Still, it pops the engine detail work very nicely on the nacelles aft. They could've used a bit more of the black in the detail lines in the wing-tip laser cannon cylinders.

But enough nitpicking. It's a great displayable! It's number 0355 of 4800. It has both Japanese and English writing on the bottom box panel, but all other box panels are all English. The box is in nice shape. The side panels are not the die-cut perforated window type. They're the solid, non-cutout type. Notably, the artwork on the side panels, where it displays a photo showing an action feature of the ships, has been re-shot with the pewter models. I think that showed a nice note of quality and pride in their product & packaging.

If you have any other questions, lemme know.
    Last edited by SWAFMAN; 11-18-2001 at 10:12 AM.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

not a zaap

though there is another auction for one here

the reason why i am posting here, is for this auction here. it's an individually numbered at-as/landspeeder kaybee exclusive 2 pack. this one is number 0002!

the only other numbered 2 pack that i have ever seen up for auction on ebay, is one that was included with all the other numbered ships, that i had won over 2 years ago. (each of the ships in that auction were numbered 0048)

what's also interesting, is that the seller indicates that this particular numbered package was limited to a run of 1500. i had always assumed that the run was 2500, the same as the other numbered classic ships.
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

I was about to bid, but....

upon seeing R2's bid already in place, I respectfully stand down. R2, if the bidding goes higher than you are willing to pay, and you have DEFINITELY decided to bow out, please post here and let me know. Only at that time would I ever I consider placing a bid.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

AHhh, I also won't place a bid on it even though it is the only #ed AF I still need. I'll keep an eye on it though and if R2 gets outbid I'll have to through down a bid (as long as Swaffy doesn't beat me to it).

Later,
    S43

lemme clarify MY position...

Even if R2 gets outbid, I'll wait for her to state definitively that she has opted-out of the auction, as we all know it is sometimes prudent to place your final best bid at the last possible second.

I, too, was outbid on the Zaap. But thanks to the honor and restraint of the regulars here on the forum, I was given the opportunity to rebid on a later day and subsequently win.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}