Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maul, Dooku, & Tarkin

Originally at the end of Menace, I thought the reason for killing Maul was to make way for Anikan since there can only be two. But, in Clones, we have another Sith Lord, Dooku.
    Did we really need Dooku?
    Would it have not been so much cooler if Maul would have escaped in Menace to show back up in Clones. Split Dooku's character in two parts. Have Dooku's political character be played by a younger Tarkin and have the physical part of Dooku be played by Maul.
    Maul acts as Tarkins protector and/or enforcer the way Vader does in Hope. It creates a rematch between Obi-Wan and Maul, but Anikan's recklessness causes both he and Obi-Wan to be taken out of the fight. Then Yoda would have had to face Maul. Yoda would defeat Maul and make him look that much powerfull, and Tarkin escapes with the Death Star plans.
    It always seemed that the Death Star was Tarkins pet project anyway. It would make sense for him to be involved from the beginning.
    On that subject, I think characters like Tarkin & Mon Mothma should have been in the prequils. I think Bail Organna should have been established more as well by now. I just don't think one more movie will show us all the things we want to see.
    What do you guys think?
    "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose."

well it's too late to change it now, although you could maybe ask lucas... j/k
    but seriously, I would've loved to see Maul a bit more and the tarkin idea is nice too but I still like it the way it is now, cause dooku is pretty cool too IMO
    Until The End Of Time...
    - Tupac Shakur, RIP

Thumbs up Good theory you got there!

I'm with you on this. I always thought Maul was a very under used character. He had the potential to be the"VADER" of the PT, but all that got wasted.

I too think Tarkin should have been the one to get the plans for the DS and not DooKu. Don't get me wrong, I like the character of DooKu, but was he really needed?

We learn more about DooKu's background in 5 mins of AOTC than we did about Maul in a 3 hr. film.

Maul should have been carried over into AOTC like you said, and I see the rematch between OB-1 and Maul going in Mauls favor, and the rest could be played out just like the DooKu duel. Ob-1 is downed, Anakin get's his arm chopped off trying to help, and Yoda steps in to KICK MAULS BEHIND.

All the while, Tarkin is sneaking off with the plans to the DS......

Would have been sweet..IMHO!

Only thing that might make the DooKu character even more cheesy is if he turns out to be Anakins daddy.......never know, GL has done crazier things with the story line.
    " I think I have the SITH sense...I see DARTH people!"

If GL was gonna do that then he really needed Maul to talk alot more in TPM, and then alot in AOTC. I didn't like Maul much because he never talked. It's a cool idea, but I don't see Anakin OR Obi-Wan losing to Maul, Anakin was pretty darn good in his fight against Dooku. If Maul died in AOTC then wouldn't Anakin have to turn at the end of it or the beginning of Ep. 3? I never expected to have a whole movie full of dark side ani but it sure would be cool!

Anakin wasn't all that good against DooKu, really. Can you say CHOP-CHOP...I knew that you could.

And after all, Maul was trained his whole life in the dark ways, so I could see how he would defeat both OB-1 and Anakin.

Anakin wouldn't have to turn right away. No one turned after Mauls death in TPM.....

If Maul was in AOTC and defeated by Yoda, that would leave the door open for yet another dark character to be introduced, to fill the void while we see Anakin starting to turn.

The way it is now, we get the same tired, old geezer of a Sith in EP III.

Again, the idea behind the character of DooKu is cool, just not a cool enough Villian, for me I guess.

Can't wait to see DARK ANAKIN.
    " I think I have the SITH sense...I see DARTH people!"

My thought is this: Tarkin is an old adversary of Dooku. (I'm sorry, that's the plot of all those Dracula movies with Lee and Cushing-Sorry)

Anyway, Tarkin is an agressive associate of Dooku's who gets (takes) the plans from him in EIII. He explores them and presents them to the Emperor Tarkin also has the connections and drive to get the thing built. Dooku did not have the "organizational ability?" to do it. Not because he was lazy or anything, but he had other objectives.

Tarkin was more focused onto Military force. Dooku was into ruling the galaxy by any means necessary.

I also think Dooku is a better villain than Maul. Maul didn't say much. He was basically a killing machine. Dooku had all those dorks from the Commerce Guild and Trade Federation, and Banking Clan on his side. I doubt Maul would have been able to persuade all those factions to meet with him and be on his side.
    B.M.D. 2/29-4/22 Remembered, Loved, and Missed -ALWAYS

Me fail english??? That's un-possible

Hello......My name is Boba Fett......You killed my father.......Prepare to Die!! -Boba Fett to Mace Windu in Star Wars
    Episode 3 - Return of the Princess Bride

Still Hatin' the Evil Empire

I have to admit Freedom, that even though I have a strong affinity for Dooku, your idea not only seems like it would've been really cool, but it also seems like it might've made more sense. The only real problem I have with that is that I'm not certain Tarkin would've had much of a power base at this point in the story; at least not realistically. I don't know - maybe it could've been made to work, but it is, as was stated, too late now. What we've been given works well enough for me.

Originally posted by DahrJin
    Anakin wouldn't have to turn right away. No one turned after Mauls death in TPM.....
    If noone turned to the dark side after Maul died, then when the hell did Dooku become a Sith? AOTC was 10 years after TPM. The clone army was created 10 years before AOTC, and Jango was hired by Tyranus - Dooku's Sith name - so Dooku had obviously become a Sith by that time, either that or Tyranus just happens to be another Joe Schmoe who likes guys in uniform.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Actually, if you look at what Maul does in TPM, it really has nothing to do with making room for Anakin.

First and foremost, he's a device for moving the plot forward. By Finding the rogue Naboo ship, the story is moved along to it's conclusion.

Secondly, he is there for Obi Wans benefit. Maul kills Qui Gon, which drives Obi Wan into his rage. Obi Wan draws from the Dark side to defeat maul. It is the defeat of Maul that causes the council to elevate Obi Wan to the status of Jedi Knight. The man did something NO other Jedi has even thought of facing....he duelled, and defeated a SITH LORD....even his Master could not do this...

...so... Maul is actually in TPM to Advance Obi Wans story.

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    Actually, if you look at what Maul does in TPM, it really has nothing to do with making room for Anakin.

First and foremost, he's a device for moving the plot forward. By Finding the rogue Naboo ship, the story is moved along to it's conclusion.

Secondly, he is there for Obi Wans benefit. Maul kills Qui Gon, which drives Obi Wan into his rage. Obi Wan draws from the Dark side to defeat maul. It is the defeat of Maul that causes the council to elevate Obi Wan to the status of Jedi Knight. The man did something NO other Jedi has even thought of facing....he duelled, and defeated a SITH LORD....even his Master could not do this...

...so... Maul is actually in TPM to Advance Obi Wans story.
    I agree with everything but Obi-Wan drawing from the Dark Side of the Force to defeat Maul. Sure I think he did draw from the Dark Side in the short battle after Maul killed Qui-Gon, but after Obi-Wan fell into that pit I think he realized the only way he would survive was by returning to the light side.