Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone seen "From Hell"?

I thought it was pretty good, except for a few things. My biggest question was, why is John Merrick, aka "The Elephant Man" shown in this movie? Aside from the fact that both of these cases took place at the same time in London, one has nothing to do with the other. Anyway, it's not a slasher movie so much as some people might expect, it's more about the plot and the "theory" the Hughes Brothers use to explain the murders. I couldn't believe this, but these people sitting next to me brought a kid that couldn't have been more than three to this movie. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that? Anyway, I thought it was okay, has anyone else seen it and if so, what do you think?
    Last edited by Fulit; 10-28-2001 at 12:13 PM.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

A mom and her three under-six kids came to see it yesterday afternoon at my theater. I really wish there was a way to not sell tickets to bad parents, because I'd've used it...

I thought it was okay. A lot of it was contrived, but still the movie was overall good.

I SO want to see this movie! Johnny Depp is so awesome. He's one of my favorite actors, up there with Harrison Ford and Sean Connery. I'm even being Edward Scissorhands for Halloween! He he he!
    http://www.geocities.com/madscientist2787

I think this is a rather enjoyable movie for 'ripperologists' or a fan of such things. Merrick may be in the movie because of the comic book. I don't know this for a fact, but possibly.

i liked this film. and to top it off they had a conspiracy theory involving the "government". can't go wrong there.

hey fulit,

check out the "from hell" website. i don't know the address, but it should be easy to find. they'll direct you to jack the ripper sites that delve into the potential suspects and separate fact from fiction.

I haven't seen this flick yet, but when I went to see South Park: BL&U, there were parents who brought little kids, some so small they needed booster seats, and this was the 10pm show no less! I have a feeling they didn't get the message part of the film.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    From Hell: I liked the film, but thought they could have done away with the "love story" angle of it. How many movies would be improved if they didn't have a silly love subplot. And it refused to end. Like after they had resolved the Jack the Ripper story, they should have rolled credits, but instead the movie keeps going with the..well, I won't spoil it, but theres more movie after the movie "ends" Lame.

Children in movies: I work in a theatre and it happens all the time, but on the flip side, a women came out of Training Day with her small child (Good for her!) because it was too violent and wanted to go show her child something else AND WE HAD NOTHING PLAYING FOR KIDS. Seriously, the least offensive movie we could suggest to her was Zoolander. And I wouldn't take my three year old in that. Whatever happened to PG films? Good thing Monsters Inc comes out next week.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I haven't seen the movie yet,but being a father of a 4 and 11 year old. I monitor what movies and shows they watch. Like the movie Starship Troopers. It came out looking like a movie that every kid should see but after I saw it there was no way I would let my kids see that.My wife wouldn't even let me see the shower scene. So to the people who allow thier kids to watch what ever they want without monitoring it
    "I have a bad feeling about this".

"Just when I remembered what it was,I forgot where I put it."

Hey EP, I heard Zoolander was made by some 3-year-olds.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It ticks me off also when they make "kiddie" as opposed to "collector" toy lines for strictly R rated films. I mean, look at the Starship Troopers toys, or the Kenner line from Aliens. These toys, with their sound effects and action features and stuff, are clearly aimed at little kids. They haven't seen the film, being under 17, so they don't buy too many of them. The collectors who ENJOYED the movies get stuck with all this "Glow-in-the-dark, missile-firing platypus Alien" crap. It really cheeses me off that this ALWAYS happens to sci-fi films. Even Mars Attacks! I would really have liked a line of figures from this movie, including some of the human characters (hey, who wouldn't wanna get a Jack Nicholson figure, or Sarah Jessica Parker and the dog with switchable heads?), but instead we got three little aliens with sound effects. Silly toy companies! Science fiction is NOT just for kids!
    http://www.geocities.com/madscientist2787