Thread: EP IV on VHS

Question EP IV on VHS

Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me. I have a VHS copy of Star Wars from 1982, I bought it from a video rental store because at the time that was the only place you could buy it. The guy didn't even want to sell it but no joke I rented it three weeks straight!! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it might be worth? I know I paid like $100 for it if I remember correctly. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance!

$1-2 tops. First it was a rental so it was watched thousands of times which degrades the picture image greatly. Like cassette tapes, magnetic tape storage degrades over time as well. So you have a 20 year old VHS tape that has been watched tons. Both of those factors make your tape basically worthless.

Perhaps if Star Wars hadn't been released on VHS a million times since 1982 then it would still be a rarity and still worth your original $100. If anyone wants a copy of the film they can walk down to the local Walmart and pick up a copy.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Actually, if I recall Steve Sansweet's price guide book that this is worth an ok amount. Is it a drawer case, and not your typical VHS tape box? That's the rarer first version that is worth a decent amount. Of course, like Exhaust Port said, if it's been watched to death and the box is in bad condition, it's not going to fetch any big numbers. I can't find my book right now, but I believe this is a picture of it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star wars.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	4230  
    Last edited by Beast; 10-15-2002 at 04:55 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yes it is in a drawer case, the original. What is interesting to remember is this was the first VHS relese and has not been changed like all of the other versions. Yes it was a rental but only for about two weeks before I got my hands on it. Yes I'm sure I watched it at least 200 times (I'm a geek and lost count at 330 something but a lot were in the theatre). Anyway thanks for the opinions......

Originally posted by biscuit02
    What is interesting to remember is this was the first VHS relese and has not been changed like all of the other versions.
    The first VHS re-release was before the Special Edition OT were released in the theaters. Those first OT VHS tapes were of the original version.

I know I'm new here but what are OT's? I can tell you there were differences in each version relesed on VHS. I have seen them enough to the point where I can tell you where they made very small changes most people wouldn't even notice, like changes in how one scene schanges to another. It may be because of some sort of remastering even on a small scale but each relese is different.

JarJar, If you ever happen to run across that price guide I would be very greatful if you could tell me what it says! Thanks again to everyone!

OT = Original Trilogy

The sets released in 1995 are the original versions.

Ok, OT makes sense now.

I hate to disagree but not they are not EXACTLY the same

Other than being digitally remastered (i.e. cleaned up) what is different about that version and an '82 tape?