Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Illogical moments in the OT

Well, since the last thread about this got way off topic, I figured I would start a new one. Only this time to simply discuss the plot problems with the OT without making any kind of assumptions about each others' intelligence or 'true fan' status.

Most of the ones I have to start with come from ANH. Which, if you pay attention had numerous flaws in scene to scene continuity and logic.

First off, is one that was brought up in one of the Saga threads:

Where did Luke and Han stash their clothes while in Stormtrooper disguise? The standard answer has always been under their armor, but that is a physical impossibility for all those clothes to fit under that skin tight body glove that the Stormtroopers wear. That's not even considering where Han and Luke's boots went.

Here's the easiest way to disprove the "under the armor" argument. Take the clothes you wear on a daily basis, to include shoes, and try to fit a surfer's spandex body glove OVER all those clothes and put a pair of leather boots on OVER your shoes. It's not possible, even if it is, it would be extremely uncomfortable, limiting in movement and obvious to a casual observer.

Next is the Sandtroopers' shrinking blasters:

When the squad of Sandtroopers is marching through Mos Eisley's streets they are all carrying large blaster rifles and one even appears to be carrying a bazooka sized blaster. However, when they turn the corner to face the Falcon, they are all suddenly carrying the standard Imperial Blaster pistols.

A clear instance of scene-to-scene discontinuity.

The last example I will present for now, is one that Jargo brought up a long time ago. The iconsistency of the Tatooine homestead sets:

When Luke is in the garage, you can see the cockpit of the T-16 Skyhopper behind him with sunlight illuminating it from above. We all know that the top wing on the T-16 is huge and if the cockpit was level with Luke and Threepio in the garage, then the wing should have stuck out of the ground behind the homestead and been very obvious from the surface. The sets don't match up. What gives?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Yep, the Stormtrooper Armor scene has always bugged me. There is no physical way for their clothes to be under the body glove. Especially things like Han's Vest that is bulky as hell. And the boot issue is a good one. There is no place they could have stashed them, because they are right outside the Trash Compactor. And they wouldn't fit in Chewie's Bandolier Bag.

The other two I don't really have any comments on, right now. Suffice to say that I agree 100% with both of those being huge plot holes that are usually never discussed, or just ignored by people. It's a pure case of placing the OT on a pedestal, and ignoring the flaws. Frankly the flaws in all the movies aren't enough for me to stop liking them. They are fun movies.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

In ROTJ, on their approach to jabbas castle, 3 po notes that "land oand chewbacca never returned from this awful place. Yet....Chewbacca hasn't even arrived there yet...and won't arrive until brought there by leia....

In ANH, after R5-D4 rolls forward and blows his top they cut to a shot of R2-D2 looking on. Right next to him is R5-D4 still fully functional with Jawa's scampering around. Perhaps that is just proof of the power of, "Skippy the Jedi Droid."

In ESB, the entire shot of Vader and Admiral Piett on the Star Destroyer bridge at the end of the film is flipped. You can clearly see that, because Piett's rank bars and the seam of the opening to his uniform is on the wrong side.

In RotJ, Leia is only missing for a short while before the Ewok's capture the rest of our heroes. But by the time they are brought back to the Ewok Village, she has a totally new hair style, and is in a well made and beautiful dress. I don't think the Ewoks could complete such a nice dress in a few hours.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bonda Baba's arm bleeds when it is cut off by Obi-Wan's lightsaber.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I'll go back to the empire beating the Falcon to Bespin in ESB. I have never seen how it's possible. Considering the fact that fett had to tail the falcon to find out where it went, then tell the empire, who had taken off in the opposite direction...
    '
    as for the ewoks JJB....don't underestimate their considerable fashion skills...

The bleeding arm they gave a quasi-explination to. They said that some alien physiologies(sp?) react differently to a lightsaber then humans. That of course doesn't explain how Ponda Baba smooth finlike hand, turns into a furry fingered one after it's cut off.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanx for the info JJB . They'll probably explain the hand changing thing by saying he is really a Clawdite or some other changeling....

How about the two Duros that have different hands in the cantina ???

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

A minor one, but still

When Obi-Wan disables the tractor beam on the Death Star all the readouts are in English! However, in ROTJ, the readouts for the Shuttle identification screens are in Star Wars language (aurobesh or whatever).

You can see Ponda Baba with his flipper hands in a few shots of the Cantina. In fact he has flipper hands when he is pushing Luke around at the bar! The only time he has a furry, five fingered hand is when it is cut off and lying on the floor.

Then there is always the convenient Stormtrooper stupidity. When Luke and Leia are stuck at the end of the Death Star chasm and the Stormtroopers get the door opened just a few inches. Anyone with a brain would have realized that the best thing to do is to kneel down, shoot out Luke and Leia's feet and then disable them from there, once the door is opened. If they didn't want them killed they could have easily used the stun setting we saw at the beginning of the film. However, in the movie, the Stormtroopers don't figure any of this out until Luke and Leia are already across the chasm. How convenient.

Don't even get me started on how Luke just so happened to get the Stormtrooper belt with a grappling hook (if you look closely you can see that one of the Stormtroopers assigned to guard the Falcon doesn't have the familiar cylindrical thing on the back of his belt, he has a grappling hook. The only time we ever see one of those in the films). Again, how convenient.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I know this is OT only, but the grappling hook is no where near as bad as the Ascension Guns- who in the world would carry such a thing besides Bruce Wayne?

I think I should not read this thread further- all of these things will bug me!!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car