Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    I found Throneroom Vader and Luke at Walmart in Garland off I30 and Beltline rd. Yesterday. and to add -- it was the error Luke -- with the glove on the "left" hand. It looks like Dallas is starting to get a few new figures here....Ephant man -- WHERE ARE YOU?!?!
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......

Tarrant County Find - Finally!

I found the Geonosian War Chamber Screen Scene set at the Target in Arlington this week! No Jedi Council unfortunatly. Bubba Fatt had told me he had seen one of each there last week but they were gone by the weekend. The bubble was somewhat crushed but since I am opening mine it did not matter. Soon Dooku will be on eBay as I don't like the new one any better than the first and I just don't do duplicate characters if there is no significant costume change.

Bubba Fatt has tried this in the past and hopefully we can try again now. Would the DFW area collectors like to start a club or collecting group? I think that there are a lot of us who never find what we are seeking and those who find things in abundance and leave the rest behind for others. If we could develop a coordinated network we might be able to help each other find thost illusive figures and vehicles. And if we played our cards right, we might be able to promote such a club at the Dallas ComiCons in Plano and Richardson. It worked for a fledgling comic reading club that started in June or July of this year.

Since Mrs. JediCole and I have sold at those shows for years, I can tell you that I am always amazed how few people who consider themselves serious Star Wars collectors read the toy magazines or visit this or other collecting sites. Most only know what is new when they see it at an outrageous price at a dealer table. and have no clue what is coming in the near future. Another aspect of such a group would be to give presentations at the local shows to help showcase some upcoming items and grow the group membership.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Count me in -- That would be great. I am moving to McKinney in two weeks. I will be able to get info on Rockwall (for a time being), Mckinney, Dallas (Target @ Cityplace and TRU at Walnut & I75 -- maybe also Zeus Comics if they continue to stock SW stuff), Plano (parts of), Greenville, and maybe Commerce Tx. I have met Mr. and Mrs. Jedi Cole at the conventions and they are almost ALWAYS there -- This would be a great oppertunity to get some things that we have not found and also communicate on the new things that are comming our way.
    JediBoulton --

Quote Originally Posted by JediCole
    Bubba Fatt has tried this in the past and hopefully we can try again now. Would the DFW area collectors like to start a club or collecting group? I think that there are a lot of us who never find what we are seeking and those who find things in abundance and leave the rest behind for others. If we could develop a coordinated network we might be able to help each other find thost illusive figures and vehicles. And if we played our cards right, we might be able to promote such a club at the Dallas ComiCons in Plano and Richardson. It worked for a fledgling comic reading club that started in June or July of this year.
    How well did it work in the past?? Did it last for awhile?? Or was it disbanded from the inside like the Bounty Hunters' Guild?? I'm all for this idea of having a collectors club here in DFW, but given the nature of most of us, we tend to stay to ourselves to keep others from getting the toys we want before we get it. I mean, most of us want to get the stuff first for us. Then after that, we're ready to share and help others out. I'm just being realistic and practical here. Having a club is cool if it will benefit all the members, but if its only gonna work during the time of plenty, then's its every collector for himself. Sorry if I'm a bit skeptical. I've been observing posts from different websites and I see how people collect. No one, I mean, NO ONE, will share a hard to find action figure to somebody else unless they already have it. Sometimes, they don't even want to do that. I've seen people keep all the hard to find items in doubles or triples.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I just want to point it out so that we can all see it 'in a certain point of view'. But if it will work, I wouldn't mind being a member. I would like to meet other fellow collectors out there. Perhaps share some pointers on how and what to collect. I've been doing this since 1994. Thanks for a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by fishyfett
    How well did it work in the past?? Did it last for awhile?? Or was it disbanded from the inside like the Bounty Hunters' Guild?? I'm all for this idea of having a collectors club here in DFW, but given the nature of most of us, we tend to stay to ourselves to keep others from getting the toys we want before we get it. I mean, most of us want to get the stuff first for us. Then after that, we're ready to share and help others out. I'm just being realistic and practical here. Having a club is cool if it will benefit all the members, but if its only gonna work during the time of plenty, then's its every collector for himself. Sorry if I'm a bit skeptical. I've been observing posts from different websites and I see how people collect. No one, I mean, NO ONE, will share a hard to find action figure to somebody else unless they already have it. Sometimes, they don't even want to do that. I've seen people keep all the hard to find items in doubles or triples.
    Fishy makes some very valid points here, and no offense was taken, at least on my part.

Though part of the purpose of such a club might be to encourage cooperation amoung collectors in the search for hard to find Star Wars figures, ideally it would not be the sole purpose. But I will address that aspect first.

A prevailiing theme in the years that I have been on SSG is the cry for greater collector solidarity. I recall so many posts (not necessarily from anyone in the target area of this projected club) where people complained that no one ever helps out their fellow collectors. And yet when Dingodad (reffered to earlier by his former screenname, Bubba Fatt) tried to encourage the local collectors to rally behind the banner of cooperation, only myself and one other SSG member even bothered to reply! Of course that all goes back to fishyfett's concerns. And naturally none of us has unlimited disposable income to risk on finding something and holding it in hopes of prompt reimbursement, so that too is often an issue. However, there is a prevailant perception that SSG is the only way to inform your fellow collectors of what has been found locally. A club would serve the purpose of creating an email network of local collectors and a mass email could be sent to all by the individuals fortunate enough to find something locally. At least that way the information would reach other locals on a direct and more timely basis. At the very least that might provide someone out there a fighting chance at something they really wanted. And if you can swing the extra expense for a few days to a couple of weeks, you could feel justified in picking up an extra or two to provide to fellow club members at actual cost. But that is just part of the equasion.

The other purpose of the club, and I feel the most important function, would be to foster a sense of community amoungst local collectors. To allow all of us an opportunity to meet with those who share a passion for Star Wars in plastic form. To arrange trades whenver possible, and to help spread the word about things that SSG members know, but so many casual (and even loyal) collectors know nothing about. Things like upcoming releases, where to find exculisive figures, etc. I've honestly encounted an endless stream of people over the last few years who consider themselves collectors yet never pick up a toy magazine or visit a toy website for information on Star Wars figures and toys. And as a result they tend to marvel at things they never knew existed, or mistake genuine Star Wars figures for cleverly made customs or knock-offs. And though I do sell Star Wars toys (as part of a much more vast inventory of collectibles new and old), I always encourage people to be patient and not pay top dollar for the new stuff especially. In fact one of Dingodad's friends was eying the Imperial Forces TRU set at our store and I told him franky that he should exhaust the possibility of finding it at a TRU before he bought it from me at my meager mark up. And this was a collector who had no idea that this set even existed!

It is to that end that I want to promote this type of club. Especially given that, with the Dallas ComiCon we are blessed in the DFW area with about four to five comic and toy shows ever single year! And we even get Wizard World in our own back yard this year. And it is at the ComiCons that I most often encounter those collectors who would benefit most from such a group.

Hopefully this has shed some light on the whole concept. I am only too painfully aware that the greatest struggle such a group faces is consistancy. That the group does not disband almost as soon as it begins. But so what? At the worst we may all make a few new friends and keep in touch without the benefit of a structured club. At best we may become an important force in the local collecting community.

Who's with me? (Dingodad need not reply as I already know his answer.)
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Quote Originally Posted by JediCole
    Fishy makes some very valid points here, and no offense was taken, at least on my part.

Though part of the purpose of such a club might be to encourage cooperation amoung collectors in the search for hard to find Star Wars figures, ideally it would not be the sole purpose. But I will address that aspect first.

A prevailiing theme in the years that I have been on SSG is the cry for greater collector solidarity. I recall so many posts (not necessarily from anyone in the target area of this projected club) where people complained that no one ever helps out their fellow collectors. And yet when Dingodad (reffered to earlier by his former screenname, Bubba Fatt) tried to encourage the local collectors to rally behind the banner of cooperation, only myself and one other SSG member even bothered to reply! Of course that all goes back to fishyfett's concerns. And naturally none of us has unlimited disposable income to risk on finding something and holding it in hopes of prompt reimbursement, so that too is often an issue. However, there is a prevailant perception that SSG is the only way to inform your fellow collectors of what has been found locally. A club would serve the purpose of creating an email network of local collectors and a mass email could be sent to all by the individuals fortunate enough to find something locally. At least that way the information would reach other locals on a direct and more timely basis. At the very least that might provide someone out there a fighting chance at something they really wanted. And if you can swing the extra expense for a few days to a couple of weeks, you could feel justified in picking up an extra or two to provide to fellow club members at actual cost. But that is just part of the equasion.

The other purpose of the club, and I feel the most important function, would be to foster a sense of community amoungst local collectors. To allow all of us an opportunity to meet with those who share a passion for Star Wars in plastic form. To arrange trades whenver possible, and to help spread the word about things that SSG members know, but so many casual (and even loyal) collectors know nothing about. Things like upcoming releases, where to find exculisive figures, etc. I've honestly encounted an endless stream of people over the last few years who consider themselves collectors yet never pick up a toy magazine or visit a toy website for information on Star Wars figures and toys. And as a result they tend to marvel at things they never knew existed, or mistake genuine Star Wars figures for cleverly made customs or knock-offs. And though I do sell Star Wars toys (as part of a much more vast inventory of collectibles new and old), I always encourage people to be patient and not pay top dollar for the new stuff especially. In fact one of Dingodad's friends was eying the Imperial Forces TRU set at our store and I told him franky that he should exhaust the possibility of finding it at a TRU before he bought it from me at my meager mark up. And this was a collector who had no idea that this set even existed!

It is to that end that I want to promote this type of club. Especially given that, with the Dallas ComiCon we are blessed in the DFW area with about four to five comic and toy shows ever single year! And we even get Wizard World in our own back yard this year. And it is at the ComiCons that I most often encounter those collectors who would benefit most from such a group.

Hopefully this has shed some light on the whole concept. I am only too painfully aware that the greatest struggle such a group faces is consistancy. That the group does not disband almost as soon as it begins. But so what? At the worst we may all make a few new friends and keep in touch without the benefit of a structured club. At best we may become an important force in the local collecting community.

Who's with me? (Dingodad need not reply as I already know his answer.)
    I see your point of view, Cole, and I'm ready to join the Dark Side......er.....sorry...the club if it's gonna be a solid group of concerned fans. You can count me in. And speaking of finds, I just got the lone 'Blue' Carkoon Fett at Target in RSQ Mall. I love this blue variant, so I will return the green one back. If anyone wants a Carkoon Fett and don't care whether he's wearing a blue or green flightsuit, let me know. You can have it for retail price, plus tax. Otherwise, he's going back to Target. FYI- the green Fett is a running change. Hasbro won't be issuing the blue ones anymore. If you see a blue Carkoon Fett, grab him. Plus the color scheme looks better. Good luck.

Just thought i would let you all know -- check out www.scifiexpo.com

C-3P0 is comming to Dallas !! WOW -- Please check it out

Also Warwick Davis is comming also !!!

This is GREAT!!!
    JediBoulton --

Hey, I figured I'd check and see if any local guys had found the Clone Wars 2-packs, and I found this whole DFW thread! Right now I'm in Denton, and the Wal-Mart and Target seem to be getting the new/old stuff in. Han Hoth (blue), Chewie, Anakin with that cheap "robe", Carkoon Fett, and the treadmill Padme wave are here, so if you need any of those, I can try to grab them. The Target had a bunch of Rebel Troops and Imperial Officers, but I don't know what heads they had. Just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

My fellow DFW collectors. I found 2 Clone 3-pack w/ greentrooper and 1 jedi 3-pack onbase (NAS/JRB, Ft. Worth) during my USAF Reserves tour there. I picked up the greentrooper and left the other 2.

If anyone of you DFW fans are still looking for either Jedi or Green clone 3-packs, please let me know. Since I don't see too many military folks collecting SW, those two might still be there when I come back Monday. They're $9.85 ea. And no sales tax!! So, let me know and we'll hook up together somewhere in Ft. Worth. Or if you live in the Dallas area, I can meet you here as well. Later.

Thanks, but I'm good. I picked up a green and a jedi pack at TRU a few weeks ago. But thanks for the offer.