Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R4-M9 instead of R5-D4?

Just found this at theprivateuniverse:

DIAMOND UK OFFER NEW HASBRO UK Figs....
    MaTTriX (Sub Editor) Tuesday, October 30th 2001 - 09:55:22 AM

Got my Weekly Previews update Emailer from DIAMOND UK last night and scanning through it I found

"Star Wars Episode 1 Figures
    Rush released in time for Christmas - some brand new Star Wars figures. Choose from FX-7, Queen Amidala, Rebel Trooper, Imperial Officer, Snaggletooth, Eeth Koth, Teebo, Bo'shek and R4-M9. Available November."

Now most of this we knew about but the New is the R4-M9 ( I assume it is another R2 repaint ?) and I thought Teebo was coming with the AT-ST ??
    Diamond will have only printed what Hasbro UK have offered them. Shows what great info Hasbro UK are given to work with.
    Very interesting no? Are we getting the cone headed astromech after all? Has all the bleating in forums all over the net finally got through to hasbro? And where the heck is R5-D4 then? I want my resculpt R5 and then they can release the R4 droid
    Last edited by Jargo; 10-30-2001 at 02:45 PM.

Any new droid, repaint or not, is welcome in my book.

But...I was looking foreward to R5-D4. So in a way, I hope that this is wrong. OR even better, if we end up getting both!
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

I agree with Starfig 873. I was really looking foward to a resculpt of R5-d4 ...that's not to say I don't want the R4 droid, heck, I hope Hasbro releases both. As far as I'm concerned, this news is seemingly coming out of nowhere. AND, we all know how reliable Diamond can be when reporting Star Wars news!

This guy also thought Teebo was coming out with the AT-ST. So his sources may be a little screwy.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I posted this report with bleary eyes this morning as I supped my first cup of tea of the day sitting sifting through the sites for early news.
    Diamond are the people who whipped up a frenzy with the report about the preview figures, which turned out to be the rebel fleet trooper wave.
    This, in my opinion, after mulling it over all day is most likely misinformation. there is heaps of official information that states how we're getting R5-D4 in that wave. I can't see Hasbro releasing a marginal droid before a resculpt of possibly the worst POTF2 figure ever released but still a droid who played an active role in the original movie and won his way into the hearts of many through his EU story too.
    I'm going to discount this report and say it's complete bunkum. There - I've put my head on the block and called diamond out. Let's see what the guys at hasbro have to say about it over the next few days.

To say that Diamond's toy listings are often replete with errors would be an understatement. I worked for many years for Diamond at one of the distribution centers that went by the wayside when Marvel Comics nearly destroyed the industry a few years back. All but my last couple of years were spent in one form or another in the customer service capacity. A good deal of my time was spent fielding questions about the many inaccuracies.
    Given the volume of vendors/publishers/manufacturers that Diamond uses and the subsequent volume of information that must be provided well in advance of release (Diamond's catalog is published a minimum of two months in advance of the release of anything listed) it is a miracle that anything is accurate! However, toy companies seem to be the worst about providing the proper information in a way that Diamond's copy writers can understand and properly convey. I saw this happen far too often. R4-M9 seems a rather obscure (though accurate) call number to be mistaken for R5-D4, so perhaps this portends something down the line. We can only hope. This would not be the first time that Diamond had jumped the gun on a future release, mixing that name in with the names of others that were genuinely part of the release.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Looks like we are getting R4-M9, this was posted over at "The Pirate Universe". Hasbro has confirmed R5-D4, so maybe we are getting both, all praise the great Hasbro if this be true.

R4-M9? Confirmed!
    Pete [Editor] Tuesday, October 30th 2001 - 01:15:05 PM

I have been awaiting a green light to post news on this previously unmentioned Astromech droid... But as Diamond have beat me too it, I wanted to confirm it.

This is R4-M9.

http://fan.starwars.com/TPU/files/r4m9.jpg

It was actually suggested to me this figure wasn't going to be released until Feb/March of 2002. If it is November however that's fine with me. It could be an error on the part of Diamond, we wait and see.

On a customising note, I am delighted to see this Astromech being made, it's saves a lot of hard work trying to sculpt that cone shaped head.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thumbs up

It would be really cool to get a cone head droid. And i think Paploo is coming with the At-St, and Teebo will be carded.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

If we are going to get an R4, what wave will he come with I wonder? Perhaps there is one more wave out there after the BoShek wave before AOTC? Maybe with Ephant Mon?

You never can tell with Hasbro though. And Paploo is coming with the AT-ST, Teebo will be carded with the Boshek wave.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by Amanamatt
    I was really looking foward to a resculpt of R5-d4 ...that's not to say I don't want the R4 droid

I was also looking forward to the resculpt of R5-d4 as the 1st one really is cra*.
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious