Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why didn't they re-release the Naboo Fighter?

In the vintage days, the toys would cross over from one movie title to the next, driving some completists crazy but giving a better shot at missed-opportunities to those who just jumped on board. Plus, most of the vehicles really were in the sequels the toy packaging was claiming to be - the X-wing should have come in "SW", "ESB", and "ROTJ" packaging because it WAS in all of those films.

However, the Naboo Fighter, which is a fine toy on its own and was actually in Episode II did not get re-released. Figures like Captain Typho and Padme CA can actually fit in the toys, they're costumed to fly this ship, yet if you didn't buy a Naboo Fighter 2 or 3 years ago, these new figures have nothing to pilot. If Hasbro wanted to make it different, they could have added a different paint job, fixed the cockpit seat/floor to hold Ric Olie (Padme CA and Typho fit wayyyyyy better in the Naboo Fighter than Ric there) by removing the lip at the battery hatch, even add the removable controls that came with E1 Anakin Pilot. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me, they probably didn't sell a TON of these from Ep 1, why not at least re-box 'em?

Yes, I know it seems like hypocrisy for me to say this when I'm against it for older figures like Greedo and Momaw Nadon, but I don't see it that way - the older figures from a few years ago could be done better now instead of just using those same molds, but the vehicles are a different issue than figures IMO - they often don't need as much updating as the figures and should be offered with more retailer/manufacturer faith behind them instead of less which is what we're currently seeing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I dunno about that, but even so, seems like a day late and a dollar short to me. The film's biggest buzz with new audiences was back in May of 2002, not who-knows-when of 2003, they should have put it out the same year the movie came out I think.

Plus, I'm sick of elusives... pardon, I mean "exclusives"; and too often the exclusivity takes the fun out of toys for the less hardcore collectors.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It'd be nice if they offered this ship re-packaged with a pack-in figure like Celia Imrie and/or an assortment of interchangeable astromech heads (green R2-A6, etc.).
    Last edited by kdp100; 10-25-2002 at 07:36 PM.
    "Afterlife, aftershave - don't hold with any of it!" - Sir Henry Rawlinson.

I think the massive amounts of Episode 1 vehicles that hit rock-bottm clearance was the primary reason we didn't see this ship in 2002. Who's going to buy a new Starfighter in Saga packaging for $30 when the vast majority of collectors could find the old one at TRU or Walmart for around $8? But even collectors stocking up couldn't clear the shelves.

Yeah, I bought mine for 10 bucks. The Naboo fighter was a shelf warmer, that's why they haven't reissued it. Doing it as an exclusive might make sense, so it doesn't end up clogging the shelves in all the stores again.

I'd buy it as an exclusive, if they make a few changes to the toy to make it better. First, ditch the electronics. Then take the time to actually chrome the bottom. Then re-tool the Ric Olie figure into a generic pilot and give him a cloth coat. Slap it into a box and I'll buy one.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I got mine for $6.99 at Sears! Anyhow... the coat thing... I know it's not exactly movie accurate, but I used the trench coat from the Endor set for my Naboo pilot. It looks pretty cool.

Will pass on this if it is reissued as i already have one. I need no more pilots or pilot dressed figures now that I have Padme, Typho and Ric. It's a nice toy, but I can can KINDA see why they didn't chrome the bottom. That chips off so much easier than the paint they are currently using for the chrome parts.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

i bought one 2 weeks ago for my pilot padme for 7$ online! Unless this one has something really nifty (ie. removable r2 unit and landing gear) ill probably pass on it
    Jango Fett- Schmango Fett

I think that most collectors and kids would pass on any re-issue of the Naboo fighter UNLESS it comes with an exclusive figure and is substantially retooled.

Let's face it: The Naboo fighter ain't no X-Wing. It does not have the design and "coolness" of an X-Wing. That's why it will rot on the same shelves that the EP1 version did. Additionally, the Droid Fighter ain't no TIE Fighter; same reason it rotted on the shelves.

I've actually seen UK Driod Fighters and Naboo Fighters at the local KB Toys here in Oklahoma. Don't know why they would do that, but they have. (I'm sure the ones that rotted on the UK shelves were brought over here to see if they can get any "Gee, look at the funky writing" sales.)

J