Where to buy set of vintage figures?

I'm considering collecting the vintage figures, and am wondering the best way to go about it. I've seen Brian's Toys advertise the complete set of 96 figures loose w/ weapons for $2,400. I don't have a good idea of what a complete set would be worth, but based on the prices of their modern-era toys, I'm assuming I can do better elsewhere. Unfortunately, I haven't found anywhere else offering a complete set of loose figures. Anyone know of a place offering a complete set? Or would I be better off buying some inexpensive lots on eBay to knock out a big chunk, and then fill in the holes by bidding on individual figures.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I see sets on Ebay all the time, sometimes it's only the first 79, or 77, but They are definately there and for way cheaper then Brian's Toys. I think Ebay is for certain your best bet. You can look for set of POTF after that, or pick them off one by one. That's what I would do.

My math may be a bit off, but Brian's Toys looks like it's charging a premium to save you the effort of finding them all on your own. There's something to be said for that...if you have the money to spend.

If you don't, you'll probably get away for less money by finding them one by one. Most of the older figures can be gotten in decent condition for around $10 bucks a piece or less. The later ones (POTF, the ones with the coins) are harder to find and cost significantly more. You'll end up paying anywhere from $70 to $150 per figure depending on who it is and the condition. If you can find somebody with 2 or 3 or more figures that you want, try offering them a "package deal" for less than what it would cost for each. You get away for less and they dump their stock quickly. In most cases, it's pure profit for them anyhow, so don't hesitate to try to talk them down.

Good luck!

I'd definitely stay AWAY from Brian's Toys! Unless of course like Stillakid said you have money to burn....like if you are a billionaire or something....Bill....Bill Gates, is that you, you tricky dog! Why I oughta.
    But seriously, I'd consider ebay and keep checking the classifieds here on SSG, for sale...sometimes people sell their whole collection at one time OR go to

www.toysaregus.com/collectors.html

he might have some suggestions on the site
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it.

What!! Your going to get a set!! I am the only that feels this is bad. Get the one by one! That's the fun of collecting them. Going to toy shows, comic shop. Walking in and finding that figure you need. Looking at it, judge if its to your likeing.
    I guess its just be. Have the fun of collecting them was looking for them. I even stay away from ebay unless its a really hard to find item but that's just me.

darin
    Relive Star Wars! See it, as it all happened! Only at The First Star Wars Website! (www.firststarwars.8k.com)

Definitely have a good look at pics of the figures, or ones your friends have before laying out the cash. They're nothing like today's models - nothing like them. There needs to be a sense of nostalgia you'll feel in owning them otherwise the newer versions are superior in nearly every way. Of course there are a very few exceptions, in my opinion Bib Fortuna and Biker Scout were better back in the day.

Good luck though, Im envious.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I gotta go with Banky on this one, for me, it's all about the journey.

But I suppose if you are feeling nostalgic and want a complete set of mint figures without the "hassle" of hunting them down, Brians' has a good reputation for selling quality figures...at a price.

I am far too cheap to buy at those prices. My most expensive figure is a MINT complete loose vintage Han Solo Carbonite. I paid $45.00 for him.

Besides, what would I do once I had everything? Star Wars is my primary collecting habit! Aside from the new Commemorative Transformers (and there's only a few of those) and Movie Maniacs (at a rate of about 5-6 a year) I don't really collect anything else.
    May the force be with you.