View Poll Results: Are you dressing as a Star Wars Character for Halloween?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 36.71%
  • No

100 63.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First, I think you some of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves.

While I myself lean more towards a skinny person, I know first hand that going to the gym every day is a hard habit to form, and many other people have special challenges and difficulties maintaining a certain weight or appearance.

However, no one who likes Star Wars should be discouraged from having fun and dressing up in costume!

That's just being cruel to too many people, older - not to mention younger - to make them feel more discomfort at not having the ideal body type. I agree they should get into shape or seek medical / surgical assistance in doing so, but that cannot be accomplished before October 31 and may not be affordable for them before Celebration 3.

So why are you raining on their parade if they want to fantasize they are an Imperial Officer or a Jedi Knight? They aren't the real deal - these are fictional characters. Say they are going as a Navy Seal or Desert Storm Veteran - or even a Trekker as a Starfleet Officer: there are a lot of people who cannot qualify for the military or the space program and ARE in shape. Even if an olympic athlete dresses as a Navy Seal (and could feasibly qualify for the real deal) they are wearing a fantasy costume for the same reasons a real Navy Seal might dress as an Imperial Officer for Halloween. You'd hope the latter knows the difference between fun and reality and doesn't try to use their professional weapons like they're playing with the Death Star!

So ease up on people who do not conform to 'movie star body types' -because that's why George Lucas hires movie stars (movie extras) to play these parts and Robin Gurland doesn't do casting calls at Jenny Craig Centers!

Lastly, I'll admit that people, especially our ladies, should take a little more restraint in choosing whether they are the body-types for the Slave Leia or Arena-Damage Padme costumes, as those styles reveal deliberate quantities of skin - quantities which are supposed to be limited by the costume, and not over-expose' by the diameter If you want to wear one of these costumes, I suggest you make it a goal now to be able to fit into this style NEXT year, or the year after, and work towards it.

But in general, if most people are dressing up as an Imperial Officer, Clone Trooper, or Jedi Knight, give them some slack for their body type and all-due-appreciation for the effort they put into creating their costume.

Meanwhile, of course the Rebel Alliance, the Ewok Warriors, the Gungan Army, the Twi'lek Diplomatic Service, Dexter's Diner, Jabba the Hutt's Slave Services and many other facets of the Star Wars Universe accept and display examples of many heroes and villains alike, who are of many different body types. Jek Porkins is perhaps only the most famous heavy-weight hero.

Hasn't anyone thought of going out as the Reek or the Nexu? There's another idea.

I myself don't yet own a Star Wars costume and I think my work in this year's elections will force me to resign from going to Halloween parties this year and I'll have to wait a year before I delve into this. So I totally envy anyone who has the opportunity to dress up, feel free, and have fun!

No one should be embarrassed for posting their picture here and everyone should be glad to see our fellow fans having a good time. So everyone go on and have a Happy Halloween!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I don't celebrate Beelzebub's holiday.

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

HILARIOUS!

I know what you are talking about! I think sometimes starwars actually ruins the brains of some folk to the point that they actually think they live in "a galaxy far, far away!" and therefore forget all other common sense traits, like a "quick look in the mirror" to check for human presentability. I'm one for "each to their own" but sometimes people are just ASKING FOR IT!!!!!
    HEE HA HA HEE HA HA

YEA!!!!!! Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons comes to mind in the THE FLASH costume. My friend who I have spoke of (and if you click on my Custom Magic Card link below to see The Guardian card you will get a picture of him) that weighs nearly 400 pounds, had a typical outfit. He played the SW role playing game and went as his SW character which was a Dark Jedi. He bought one of those cheap Grim Reaper costumes at WAL MART as his cloak. The thing barely fit him and it was stretched tight over his gelatenous form. He is only 5'6" and the thin nylon-like cloth was dragging on the ground. It was sad. You never see these folks playing an actual "FAT" SW character like a Hutt or Droopy McCool.
    Heck they won't even acknowlede that they look like Jek Porkins in a X-Wing pilot outfit, its always Luke or Wedge. Pathetic and gutbustingly laughable.
    Last edited by scruffziller; 10-28-2002 at 01:52 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I would like to clarify that I was not speaking of anyone's weight, I was speaking soley of home-made costumes and people who dress crazily!

As I read the post, I had one person in mind that I always think of...we called him the crazy scientist. We saw this man everyday on the Ferry to and from work and let me tell you, it was like he came right out of a movie....he wore (not always, but often) two different shoes, half of his shirt untucked, baggy trousers and his hair was literally a foot tall in all directions, just like Einstein but taller. And this guy had money too, as the Island was a small place and everybody knew everybody's business, so it's not like he couldn't afford clothes or get his hair cut. So like I said in my above post, some people are just asking for a bit more scrutiny than others but not because of their weight!!!

Weight has no significance to me whatsoever! I love short, tall, large, thin, skeletal, rotund, etc. as I myself am sporting a bit of a belly since I quite smoking about a year ago and being a woman, that is THE hardest area to get rid of the weight! God forbid that just because you are overweight people think you shouldn't be able to dress up, but there are ways of doing it so that you can look your absolute best! Anybody, any weight can dress like crap yet anybody any weight can dress well, whether it be a costume or for everyday life.

I personally hate spandex and I don't like seeing ANYONE in it...NO ONE! It doesn't leave enough to the imagination and pretty much whoever is wearing it, well basically you are seeing them naked, just with different colored skin!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I probably should have quoted bigbarada moreso but since you were commenting on his I just decided to use your post. About the weight thing, I am 300 pounds myself, but I would never put on a costume that would try to be someone else if it was visually repulsive because of my weight. The thing that is funny here is the denial people try to obtain and push the envelope.
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by scruffziller
    I probably should have quoted bigbarada moreso but since you were commenting on his I just decided to use your post. About the weight thing, I am 300 pounds myself, but I would never put on a costume that would try to be someone else if it was visually repulsive because of my weight.
    I think we posted at the same time, 'cause I didn't see yours until just now DOH!

Originally posted by scruffziller

The thing that is funny here is the denial people try to obtain and push the envelope.
    and that goes for spandex sporting people! It outta be outlawed I tell ya...outlawed!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic

and that goes for spandex sporting people! It outta be outlawed I tell ya...outlawed!
    Except for hot women who would put it to good use.
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I'm being Anakin, home-made costume (except for the Hasbro braid, belt, and saber). I don't have a digital camera but I might be able to get pics on soon, however the costume's not even started!!!

Halloween 2002

I'll be going as Jedi Knight Nas-Ric Tenretni.
    I've been a Jedi Knight for the past 4 years. The costume is home made. My mom sewed the cloak/robe by customizing one of the patterns deisgned for religious icons. She made the sleeves longer and wider.

The main tunic was a Karate Gee that we dyed and tweaked a bit, then I wear a pair of sand colored pants, and spats to look like brown knee high boots.

Ever since I was a young kid, I have had a home-made costume. I've been:
    A Jawa
    Tusken Raider
    Jedi Knight
    Luke Skywalker
    Darth Vader

Non Star Wars Characters
    E.T.
    Sylvester the Cat
    Batman

I could go on and on. My mom is an exceptionally talented woman! She can look at a character and make the costume (like the Tusken Raider). She looked at the 12" Doll, felt the fabric, and then with in a month, I had my own Tusken Raider costume. Only thing missing was a Gaffi Stick.

Happy Halloween everyone, and STAY SAFE

Until the next time....
    MTFBWY!
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing!" - Lord Darth Vader

Taking my son Luke out, he's going out as Boba Fett from AOTC. My wife did a nice job on his costume. I'm getting in costume to take him around. I'm going as Boba's father, Jango. This was Luke's idea, I was going to go as Obi-Wan again.
    "I'm a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett

LET'S GO PENS!!!! LET'S GO PENS!!!!