Hybrid View

imperial star destroyer: worth it or not?

ok...it says in my lego catalog (for holiday 2002) that it is the biggest lego set ever made! over 3,100 pices (3104 to be excat) and is over 3 feet long.....etc...it's 269.99 in my catalog and will ship in december...should i ask for it for x-mas?????
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

i wish it was that cheap in canada, that thing looks way too sweet
    i need an ephant mon, who wants to help? :D

Yes, you should. It really depends on if you want that sort of thing or not.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If I had a chance of geting it for X-Mas, then, yes I would ask for it. My family has this thing about buying me more SW though. They somehow think I have everything . Go figure!
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

hmm...and the catalog only has that price till the end of the year...then it probably get's jacked up to 300.00....i think now is an oppritune time...plus, free shipping!
    h
    Sampsonite! i was way off!

Smile Re: Imperial Star Destroyer: Worth it or not?

You should.

There’s different kind of people and there’s different kind of collectors that been asking for years now for different kind of sets that they want The LEGO Group to produce like the mini sets that are soon to be released as well as certain mini figures, vehicles and spaceships.

Let us all keep in mind however that these bricks are being made for and aimed at the younger kids and that it’s this age group The LEGO Group will focus on as it’s there they’ll make the big bucks so lets be happy that they thought about us who want and can afford this big set.

I’m 110% positive that The LEGO Group is well aware of the fact that there’s a whole lot of “older” kids, teenagers and adults, even if we’re just a few % of their sales, that buy, build and collect the Star Wars line and that they look at our wishes as well even if a minority.

Since we all have different kinds of income some of us that buy the LEGO Star Wars line simply couldn’t afford a set this big with a price tag that’s really high but this set is being made for the more “adult” collectors/builders who hopefully can afford this monster model.

A whole lot us that buy, build and collect the LEGO Star Wars line have wished that The LEGO Group would produce a set like this as well as a AT-AT and Jabba’s Sail Barge to name a few but still I feel that a whole lot of us are disapointed with this new release.

A whole lot of us are probably disapointed with the ever so high price tag as some of us can’t afford to buy it but if you think about it this was bound to happen due to a whole lot of factors that most of us probably didn’t realize or didn’t even think about even if it were darn obvious.

A whole lot of us asked for larger or gigantic vehicles and spaceships in “System” scale to use with the mini figures but the facts are that spaceships larger then for example the Millennium Falcon, Slave 1 and the Imperial Shuttle are “impossible” to produce in this line due the size.

I mean, a Rebel Transport, a Rebel Blockade Runner and a Star Destroyer in “System” scale would be simply “GIGANTIC” and the price for them I wouldn’t even dare to think about so it’s best to just forget about larger and gigantic vehicles and spaceship in this “System” line.

Even if we all know what potential the LEGO brick has and that basically everything from the Star Wars universe, when it comes to vehicles and spaceships that is, could be produced and turned into sets they must be attractive in ways like scale, detail, shape and price etc, etc, etc.

Sure, The LEGO Group could most definitely produce a Star Destroyer that’s just 1’ long and with a price tag in the lower range, but would it be attractive enough to be a best seller, but a set like that would disapoint even the kids but that’s my very own personal opinion people.

It’d be the same case as with the old model kit of the Star Destroyer that manufacturer MPC made in the early 80’s, everyone wanted it, but when opening the box and looking at the 18” model version most got disapointed as most details were gone due to the very small scale.

From what I’ve learned over the years most people want good representations of their favorite vehicle and spaceship no matter if it’s made out of LEGO bricks or injection molded plastic as scale, details and shape are a pretty important thing to builders and collectors out there.

If we keep all the above facts in mind the only way we’ll see capitol vehicles and spaceships in LEGO form are in either the “Ultimate Collector Series” or “Sculptures” line as they’re only possible to do as “scale” models and have a price that at least some of us could afford.

I’ll buy it but it’ll be bread and water for a while as it’s rather expensive.

I amongst others have been wishing for years now that The LEGO Group would release more “Ultimate Collector Series” and “Sculpture” type of “models” and we’ve gotten our share as well even if there’s a whole big universe left to be done in these range of Star Wars sets.

So is it worth it you guys ask? If you can afford it I guess it is.

Kindest regards,

Lars ”Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...

What are the chances that this thing will drop in price? A majority of the big ticket SW Lego items have stuck around on the shelves long enough to see some pretty drastic price cuts over the years. Perhaps the same will be true for this vehicle.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

It could be a long wait.... After initiailly being introduced at 99.99 the UCS X-Wing was increased to 149.99, where it still is (at least at TRU's in this area). The good thing about that long wait is plenty of time to save up .
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars