Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computer Questions....

I hope that maybe some of you on this site can help me with a few computer questions. First, when I go from my desktop to load AOL (I'm running win 98 and loading AOL 7.0) it always is "updating AOL data base". I spoke with AOL several times and all they keep telling me is to reload 7.0. Well that doesn't help and I can't download 8.0 because I only have 48 MB RAM-you need at least 60MB for 8.0. Second, alot of times when I'm on SSG I get disconnected from AOL. This only happens on this site. I can goto yahoo, E-bay, and "other SW" sites nad not get disconnected. Could it be the SSG server??? I apperciate any help. Thanks, Jedi Drew.
    Anakin: "Where are you going Master?"
    Obi-Wan: "To get a drink!! A Molson XXX!!"

Did you uninstall AOL before you re-installed AOL?

Also, AOL has a timer that will sign you offline if you do not respond to it. If you spend more time here than anywhere else, that could be why.

I can't think of any way the server would effect you being disconnected.

Of course, you could always leave AOL, that would be the best thing to do.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I run 8.0 on DSL and the same thing happens to me as far as AOL updating. I just chalked it up to AOL being a larger program now. I believe it will always do that but you will need more RAM and a faster processor to speed it up to the point of not being aggravating. I am running 512k of ram and a P4 2.2 gigahertz processor and it still takes a little time.

As far as getting booted off of SSG...my only guess is that there is a compatability problem with your system and SSG's server or someone here at SSG doesn't like you. J/K

Test out some of the SSG sister sites if they are on the same server (I don't know if all of Action Online's 'sites ARE on the same server or not) and it should help to give you some idea. Good luck...I know how aggravating it can be.

(edit) And interestingly enough. It has been so long since I saw the AOL idle timer (and I am idle online a lot!) that I forgot it existed. Until I wrote this post. Now I just got it again for the first time in nearly 2 years. Even my fiancee leaves the house and forgets to turn off AOL and it never gets shut down.
    Last edited by Darth Cruel; 10-29-2002 at 12:10 PM.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

most likely the disconnect is a complete coincidence. i highly doubt that there is any reason that SSG would kick you off aol...

i really hate aol. plain and simple. at work, the computer is hooked up to the dsl, and you still have to sign on and all that junk. at home, my cable is on instantly when i turn on the 'puter, and it's also a lot faster... and i don't have any estraneous programs running to make things run slower (i.e. the aol program itself...)

as for RAM, everyone should be running with at least 128 Mb. (Darth Cruel - i hope you meant 512 MB )
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    Did you uninstall AOL before you re-installed AOL?
    That's the first thing that ran through my mind as well.

No offense to anyone here but I'd get rid of AOL. I hear of SO MANY problems people have with it, to me it doesn't seem worth it at all! If you have to get dial-up, try eudora or netzero...these are about 10 dollars cheaper than AOL dial-up
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

i also hear that earthlink is quite good too, on the dialup front... and they apparently have a lot of features that help the user's browsing experience, thus making the logon program WORTH the extra strain on the system!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. I did un-install 7.0 but I still have 5.0 on my system. I don't know if I should get rid of it? Do you have to keep 5.0 to build onto 7.0?? I'm no computer expert. I even had Ameritec/SBC come out and check my line and they said there is no problem. Anymore suggestions??

P.S. I would go with another ISP but I don't want to change my E-mail address. Maybe I'll try netzero. How much are they a month????

Yeah, delete AOL and get another service provider. Freakin' AOL, I hate it so much!!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Originally posted by Jedi Drew
    Thanks for all the help guys and gals. I did un-install 7.0 but I still have 5.0 on my system. I don't know if I should get rid of it? Do you have to keep 5.0 to build onto 7.0?? I'm no computer expert. I even had Ameritec/SBC come out and check my line and they said there is no problem. Anymore suggestions??
    get rid of ALL aol and start a fresh installation w/7.0 if you are going to keep it and make sure to jot down your settings, password, et. al just in case.

I believe netzero is $9.99 a month AND you can still use AOL instant messenger. I think lots of people who have aol use it for that and don't realize that you can use it on ANY computer with any ISP and browser !

There's also another ISP floating about on commercials for 9.99 a month as well, I just can't remember if it's netzero or a different one.

Someone mentioned earthlink above too. I have Earthlink DSL and had their dialup before hand....actually now that I think about it, I think I've been with them since they came to be, anyhoo, they are pretty trustworthy.

But alas, the choice is yours my friend and good luck in your endeavors to decide that perfect ISP hehe
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!