I dig the fig, but R2's packaging feels like a bootleg

I've got a bunch of South American POFT2 bootlegs. And for any of you that have ever come across these, man are they made EXTREMELY poorly.

That's not to say that silvery, rehashed R2 is made poorly. It's the packaging. It reeks to high heaven of being made with 21st-century manufacturing costs in mind.

Yes. . .afterall, it is a 'giveaway.'

Like the bootlegs. . .the cardstock is weak, thin, easily bendable. The bubble is probably molded from the cheapest plastic (second to the actual bootlegs). I fear that if I sneeze in its general direction, the bubble will cave in. And you most certainly should not be within 200 yards of any heat source, such as a lit match.

I really appreciate the throwback design - the monotone cardback. However, I will also point out that that two-color (B/W with a spot) is FAR FAR cheaper than multiple color print jobs. But let me say. . .Toy Fair Vader and R2 are probably my favorite carded/display figs in recent memory.

So, all in all, I really dig the fig.

But I can't help not to think that Hasbro's number one and two goals were:
    1. Make a ton of money during a promotion by giving away...
    2. ...The cheapest manufactured toy possible.
    Last edited by TheBigSloppy; 11-07-2002 at 11:54 PM.
    The movie changed my life. It was much better than Cats. I'd go see it again and again and again.

Got any pics???
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Pics of Silver Anniversary R2 or the S. American bootlegs?
    The movie changed my life. It was much better than Cats. I'd go see it again and again and again.

S. American Bootlegs

Ahhh. . .I see. Well, I don't have any scans of them. Plus, I would have to go searching deeper than the Big Dig in Boston (lord knows where they are).

However, give me a few minutes and I will dig up a website with images. . .

If you think the pkg is bad just look at the legs, they are on backwards!

LOL
    May the force be with you.

Here's the link as promised. There is a wealth of visual content, it just takes some time to load:

http://www.geocities.com/wattoswarehouse/Bootlegs.htm

Sith. Yeah, no kidding. Good thing this is intended for display purposes only.

Kerplop! Zing! Bam! Oh R2-D2, not again. . .you spilled another drink on Jabba. . .would you try to be more careful and not fall over.

Talking

Thanks Big Sloppy!