Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Gimmicks in our regular 12"? NOOOOOO!!!!

Much of the Saga line of 4" figures has been about action gimmicks, but with regular 12", we've been excused from such crassness... until now? SW.com has a listing up for the 2003 wave of 12" figures including one very disturbing listing:

Anakin Skywalker (with Slashing Lightsaber Action)
    True, this figure has a replaceable robotic arm, 2 lightsabers, and a new constipated face - but is the regular 12" line ramping up for desparate action gimmicks? That's what the 12" Joe line did with their Street Fighter offshoot!!! I hope they don't compromise the figures, but I fear they will.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's not the first time that gimmicks have appeared in the 12" Line. Remeber the 12" Luke Skywalker w/ Slashing Lightsaber and Han Solo w/ Quick Draw that were exclusive to Europe? I remeber quite a few people around here that were upset that they didn't release them here. The talking 12" figures could be considered gimmicks also, if you really want to think about it. Anything that wasn't standard to the line could be considered "gimmicky".

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

why am i not suprised.

if they want gimmicks on a 12 inch figure, it needs to be in a separate line, like the electronic figures.

i've pretty much given up on hasbro. all i ask is for a decent head sculpt and costumes. if the gimmick body is anything like those in the 4 inch line, i'll just swap it out.

now that i think of it, electronic qui-gon and maul did have a kind of knob on their back that let the figure swing his saber. but i just pulled their heads off anyway.......

I don't have a problem with Hasbro adding an "action" to a 12" action figure. What I do not like is getting another Anakin released within a year when there are plenty of other charachters in AOTC that I'd like to see.

I dont mind actiony (LOL I'm making up words today but who cares its Friday) type figure as long as they dont get to cartoonish, or as long as they dont start painting clothing on them like the new 12" carded GI Joe wanna be figures. Although I would like to see the 12 line stay more like the 12" figs of the past, life-like faces and costumes etc.
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

I would prefer that the line would work towards providing the best "figure" not the best toy. The 12" line seems to be geared more towards those interested in the display possibilities not a toy with some dumb action flip or other karate chop.

<--- 666th post! Pretty scary stuff.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I have always hated the gimmicks. Still do. 'Nuff said.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Gimmicks aren't the problem for me.
    You see, you could easily change the head onto a better body &
    BAM, instant improvement.

What I DON'T get on this *new* Anakin figure is.... Why didn't
    they add his CLOAK!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

>: (

*SS*

The biggest problem will be the that the prices will most likely increase to cover their new junky features. Even if we exchange the bodies we'll be forced to pay for it.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.