Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

FOTR Extended Edition- review it!

I am curious about the extended cut of the film. It was released at the same time AOTC was at Wal-Mart. they only had the gift pack. Anyway, I am curious about the cut scenes added in. Do they enrich the movie, or do they make it just too darn long? What's been put in that you like, and is there anything you think should have remained on the cutting room floor?
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

i found the box set today, and i'm glad the boodends have some weight to them. i was afraid they would be light and unable to actually "bookend" anything.

jar jar will be here with his review after he finishes the episode 2 audio commentary.

I haven't watched it yet, since I am on the computer. I'm just running the South Park episodes in the background right now. But from everything I have read, it really helps to flesh the film out. We get to know the charecters a bit more, now that we have time to explore who they are and their relationships. I would definatly say that it's better then the basic version. I will be able to offer more after I can sit down and watch it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I've not had a chance to actually watch it, but the two discs of extras look (from the listing of them) like they're worth the cost alone. I went with the collector's set, since it's only $20 more than the regular extended version, and includes the expanded National Geographic dealio. Plus a free Two Towers movie ticket, a $10 rebate (if you got the earlier version as well), and those cool statues!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I haven't even opened mine up yet due to watching the EP2 disc instead, but I'm really looking forward to it. I like that PJ put these deleted scenes back into the movie, but I wish there was an option to toggle them on or off like in the X-Men DVD.

Chuxie, where did you find the gift set for so cheap? I'm assuming you got it for $45 because WM was selling the 4-disc set for $25. Target had it for $70 I think.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

MC, the ammount of minute changes to sections of the film, would make it a pain to have both the theatrical and extended cuts on the same disc. Some of the changes are mere seconds. That's why they did seperate theatrical and extended releases.

Best Buy had the Gift Set on sale for only $49.99. Then take off the $10.00 rebate, if you purchesed the original 2-disc version. And then with the free pass to TTT and it's really a pretty good deal. Plus the bookends are kewl.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Sorry, MC--I meant $20 more than the list price on the "basic" version ($29.99). It was $49.99 at Best Buy, but I had to go to two different BB's to get it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I bought and watched the long version on the 12th and , for me, the additions to the existing scenes and the added scenes gave to a movie that was nearly impossible to improve.

Every 5 minutes from the opening voice over describing the Rings history, nearly to the end of the movie, the scenes are either lengthened, or new scenes are added in. Unfortunately, we also lose a few unimportant bits as well.

I don't believe that the additions give us any more insight as to the disposition of any of the characters, but some of them serve to reiterate certain character traits. And at the very least they add some fun to the movie (once again...not that it needed it, but it is great just the same).

I am loathe to go into detail about the changes, but with a spoiler warning I will touch on some of the smaller ones that stand out to me (there are too many to remember them all after one showing) and were not mentioned a lot before the release.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

When the movie starts with the voice over, as they get to the part where Isildur is floating dead in the water and they show the ring sinking to the bottom of the river, they expand the scene to show him use the ring to turn invisible after being knocked from his horse. He jumps into the water and then the ring betrays him by slipping from his finger and the goblins kill him as he is in the water.

Then we jump to Durin's Door where there is a little added footage of Gandalf's almost comical attempts to open the door with magic and threatening to use Pippin to beat the door open because Pippin asked him what he was going to do then. I got a chuckle out of that. And soon after in Moria when Gandalf and Frodo are speaking about Gollum, it is added in that Gandalf tells Frodo Gollums real name.

And then I will jump to the end of the movie where The Fellowship stops on the bank of the river and Boromir spots Gollum on a log in the water. Unimportant to the overall story, but a very nice addition just the same.

These are just a small example of the many scenes that were expanded in small ways. They added in so many of them that it is difficult for a person to rely on their memory of the movie. So if you have not watched it yet...I think you will enjoy it more if you do not try to see the added footage...just watch it as if it were the first time.
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    MC, the ammount of minute changes to sections of the film, would make it a pain to have both the theatrical and extended cuts on the same disc. Some of the changes are mere seconds. That's why they did seperate theatrical and extended releases.

Best Buy had the Gift Set on sale for only $49.99. Then take off the $10.00 rebate, if you purchesed the original 2-disc version. And then with the free pass to TTT and it's really a pretty good deal. Plus the bookends are kewl.
    Thanks for the info guys. I can't wait until I bust it open and watch it this weekend.

JJB, I was thinking that having the option of toggling the extra scenes out would be ideal in the case where one would want to watch the movie, but not have to sit through another 30 min of extra footage AND not have to buy a totally separate DVD to do it. It works well in the X-Men DVD, but that may be due to the extra scenes being significantly longer than a few seconds.

Regardless, it's nice that PJ was willing to do that for the fans. I would be nice if more directors and producers who made books into movies were as considerate to their hard-core fans.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I went to my WAL MART to buy EPS2 at about 5:30 AM 11/12 and also was putting the FOTR gift set on layaway because us employees get a 20% discount next week (at out store anyway).
    I thought about not holding it on layaway and just let them sit on the shelf and grab it later. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I put it on layaway. There 4 gift sets and 2 4-disk sets left after I took mine. Last night I went to check to see how many were left. THEY WERE ALL GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Every last one.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!