Exclamation Thoughts and facts about LEGO Shop at Home…

A Note before reading this post:

Some of this "could" be read in part in some of my previous posts but I do this in hope that LEGO Shop at Home will read this and change their “VERY” complicated pre-order policy and system so this might be boring to read but if interested please continue reading this post.

And I “DO” know that The LEGO Group read the posts we make. Good and bad ones.

Another note dated Thursday the 14th:

On request by yours truly I’ve asked the other two previous posts about this topic to be deleted completely from the forum as I felt they were a waste of good space and therefore I re-wrote the whole topic so that it’d be better, more informative and more well written.

For the latest information scroll down to November, Thursday the 7th 2002.

Now, on to the topic of the post.

In the previous posts “Shop at Home and pre-order problems” and “10030 Star Destroyer News!!!” I’ve mentioned, what now seems to be a “VERY” touchy subject, the problems I’ve had and still have with ordering the “Star Destroyer” and I’ll collect all information here.

October, Wednesday the 2nd 2002:

I got home to my apartment late in the evening after spending time with my fiance Eva Marie at her place across town and got online on the Internet and discovered that Mr. Tim Saupé on his website “From Bricks to Bothans” announced the upcoming release of the Star Destroyer.

As understood Mr. Olsson got excited about the very much cool news.

October, Thursday the 3rd 2002:

I got online on the Internet and logged on to the LEGO Shop at Home website and made a pre-order on the 10030 Star Destroyer and then a order on the 10026 Naboo Starfighter that were in stock and a few minutes later I’ve received order confirmations on both these items:

(10030 Star Destroyer)

“LEGO Order Confirmation

Thank you for placing your order with LEGO Shop At Home. A summary of your order appears below. If you have any questions regarding your order, please have your order
    number ready and call us at 00 800 5346 2222 to speak with a customer service representative. If calling from Austria, please call 0800 293 896. For Australia and New Zealand: Australia Telstra - 1 800 881 011 Australia Optus - 1 800 551 155 New Zealand - 000 911 At the prompt please enter the following free international number: 1 800 835 4386

Alternatively, you may e-mail your questions to us at: shop.at.home.europe@lego.com Our customer service hours are: 9am to 9pm (Central Europe) Monday – Friday 5pm to 9pm (Sydney) Monday - Friday, and 7am to 11am (Sydney) Tuesday – Saturday 7 pm to 11 pm (Auckland) Monday - Friday, and 9am - 1pm (Auckland) Tuesday - Saturday

In stock items are shipped within 24-36 business hours after they are received.

Order Number: (Not shown)
    Order Information:

Ship To:
    Lars-Olof Olsson
    (Street adress not shown)
    (Zip Code not shown) Sundsvall
    SWEDEN

QTY ITEM/DESCRIPTION/SEK AMOUNT

1/1003046/Star Destroyer/2,990.00

Products 2,990.00
    Postage & Handling 140.00

Order Total 3,130.00

(10026 Naboo Starfighter)

“LEGO Order Confirmation”

Same as 10030 Star Destroyer except price and shipping.

October, Monday the 7th 2002:

Being tired and all that after working hard as usual I got online on the Internet and checked my e-mail account and discovered a e-mail from LEGO Shop at Home but being fuzzy wuzzy I placed it in the trash can thinking it was just another order confirmation from LEGO.

October, Monday the 28th (not quite sure that it’s the correct date) 2002:

By coincident I went through the e-mail I had placed in the trash can and discovered this:

(The un-read e-mail from LEGO Shop at Home dated October the 7th 2002)

“Hello dear LEGO Shop at Home customer,

Thank you for your order from LEGO Shop at Home. Your order is at the moment put on hold. Your order is put on hold as we weren’t able to make a reservation for the total amount of your order on your (VISA) card. Please call us as soon as possible on 00800 5346 2222 Monday to Friday 9 AM to 9 PM or on 020 597650 Monday to Friday 9 AM to 5 PM, both numbers are toll free. Please don’t send any e-mail to us regarding this so we can send your order as soon as possible to you. If we don’t hear from you within 14 days your order will be cancelled and deleted. Kindest regards, Your LEGO Direct Team.”

To explain what the above e-mail means here’s the LEGO Shop at Home pre-order policy:

“When a customer place a order on a pre-order item LEGO Shop at Home makes a reservation for the total amount of the order on the customer’s (credit) card to see if the customer CAN pay for the order and then it’s cancelled after two to three business days.

If we aren’t able to make a reservation for the total amount of the order on the customer’s (credit) card we send a STANDARD e-mail to the customer explaining that the item is in stock and that the customer must contact us within 14 days or the order will cancelled.

We take this action even if the item isn’t going to be released for another four to six weeks.”

Well... As more then 14 days had past and I completelly had forgotten about their plain and simple stupid pre-order policy and system, that I also encounter last year, I feared that my ordered was cancelled and that I wouldn’t get 10030 until next year after the price gone up.

So I called LEGO Shop at Home and their toll free number here in Sweden to check if my order had been cancelled and deleted and to file a complaint about the pre-order policy and system but all I got was the standard “I can’t answer that” and “I’ll make a note” speach.

Oh well... Knowing that there was no idea at all to argue with the LEGO representative who couldn’t do anything at all anyway as the person belonged to the “foot” people I said I’d get back to them when my (credit) card could be charged for the total amount of the order.

Of course my order had been cancelled and I was no longer standing in line for the 10030 set.

At this time their pre-order policy and system were really annoying me.

November, Thursday the 7th 2002:

Since I wouldn’t receive my pay check from my employer until the 25th this month my ever so cool and ever so kindhearted father “Leif” was kind enough to let me borrow the money to be able to pre-pay for the 10030 Star Destroyer until I’d get my pay check and pay him back.

So happy go lucky I went to my bank and put 3200.00 Swedish Crooner in my bank account and a little later in the day I called the toll free LEGO Shop at Home number here in Sweden and told them that they now could make the “reservation” for the total amount of the order.

I was told by the LEGO representative that my pre-order for the 10030 Star Destroyer now was “activated” again but that I had lost my place in line and when I asked what place I had I was told that it was “classified information, only on a need to know basis” so I let it rest.

So this happy camper thought everything was okay now. Or was it?

Later in the evening I logged on to the Internet and dropped by Mr. Tim Saupé’s “From Bricks to Bothans” website and discovered the “official” announcement that the 10030 Star Destroyer were being shipped already to customers in some countries here in Europe.

Just like last year when the “Darth Maul Bust” and “Rebel Blockade Runner” was released way ahead of the “officially” announced release date the 10030 Star Destroyer got a early release as well and my hopes were high that I’d hopefully get it within a week or less.

November, Friday the 8th 2002:

I checked my bank account and discovered that some “UNKNOWN” source had made a reservation for the odd sum of 3102.00 Swedish Crooner but knowing that LEGO Shop at Home did exactly the same odd thing last year I knew that the sum was for the 10030.

November, Monday the 11th 2002:

Before going to work and drive the taxi cab on the 9 PM to 7 AM night shift I got online on the Internet and checked my e-mail account and discovered that I had received the following e-mail from LEGO Shop at Home regarding the 10030 Star Destroyer I’ve ordered:

“Hello dear LEGO Shop at Home customer,

Thank you for your order from LEGO Shop at Home. Your order is at the moment put on hold. Your order is put on hold as we weren’t able to make a reservation for the total amount of your order on your (VISA) card. Please call us as soon as possible on 00800 5346 2222 Monday to Friday 9 AM to 9 PM etc, etc, etc.”

At this time I truly wondered what LEGO Shop at Home was doing with my order...

November, Tuesday the 12th 2002:

So incredibly darn tired from driving the night shift I got home from work at around 8 AM and decided to stay up until 9 AM and call the toll free LEGO Shop at Home number here in Sweden to check what the heck was wrong now with my order and now I was really annoyed.

And of course things only got worse... Sigh...

A note: I must add that the following isn’t the LEGO representative’s fault in any way.

So I called LEGO Shop at Home and was told by the LEGO representative that they couldn’t make the reservation for the total amount for my pre-order of the 10030 Star Destroyer and that it wasn’t them who had made the reservation for the odd sum as it was 3102.00 Crooner.

Now I got really confused and being tired from working it didn’t get any better...

I tried to explain to the LEGO representative that it must be them who had made the reservation of the odd sum of money as I hadn’t ordered anything else from anyone and that LEGO Shop at Home did the same odd thing with the “Darth Maul Bust” pre-order last year.

But no, I didn’t get through... I was told that they hadn’t made the reservation for the odd sum of 3102.00 Swedish Crooner on my (credit) card as the order was 3130.00 Swedish Crooner and I was told to call my bank but I said that they don’t give out information over the phone.

At this stage I were about to loose my temper real bad... But I held it back...

I told the LEGO representative that I had been working all night and that I now as this was a very important thing for me to check up on wouldn’t get any sleep as I had to go to my bank in person and ask them who had made the reservation as they don’t do it over the phone.

Eventually we got off the phone and after just a few minutes the LEGO representative called me back to confirm that LEGO Shop at Home “HADN’T” made the reservation for the odd sum of 3102.00 Swedish Crooner on my (credit) card and boy was that great news or what?

We got off the phone and after a few minutes more the LEGO representative called me back a second time and I was told that they had cancelled the reservation for the odd sum of 3102.00 Swedish Crooner but that it’d take two or three days before I’d see it in my bank account.

They hadn’t made the reservation for the odd sum of money but they cancelled it???

Jesus... I didn’t get that at all at that time...

Being tired and basically feeling like wanting to pass out I went to my bank to check up on things and to my great pleasure I was told by my bank that they couldn’t see who had made the reservation for the odd sum of money on my (credit) card until it was actually charged.

Great... Will someone hit me in the head so I’ll pass out... Sigh...

On request by yours truly my bank cancelled the reservation for the money but informed me that if the part making the reservation didn’t check up on things I could be charged “TWICE” and that would mean that my bank would charge me for abusing the limits of my VISA card.

“Oh what a wonderful day this turned out to be...”

After that I went to my fiance Eva Marie and called the toll free LEGO Shop at Home number here in Sweden and talked to the LEGO representative trying to sort this entire mess up but I basically got nowhere at all and I must say that LEGO Shop at Home has messed it up badly.

I make a pretty good living driving the taxi cab but 3130.00 Swedish Crooner is a whole lot of money to pre-pay for a item that isn’t going to be released for another two months and I told the LEGO representative that LEGO Shop at Home better not do anything so it’d disappear.

The answer I got from the LEGO representative was that they could cancel the order and delete it completely if I were that careful with my hard earned money and that I could get back to them on December the 3rd when the item’s available and make the order then.

Since I knew that the price for the 10030 Star Destroyer would go up next year and since I knew that the demand for the set were high I wanted to get it in time at this lower price in case LEGO Shop at Home couldn’t ship it this year so I said I wanted my order to still be active.

So LEGO Shop at Home will try and charge my VISA card again on friday the 15th.

While on the phone I told the LEGO representative that customers here in Europe had started to receive their orders on the 10030 Star Destroyer but the answer I got was that they had “NO” such information and that the set weren’t going to be available until December the 3rd.

Really now???

A little later in the evening I got back to my apartment and logged on to the Internet and once again I dropped by Mr. Tim Saupé’s “From Bricks to Bothans” website and discovered that the forum member “Sjaak” in Europe had sent in some really nice pictures of the 10030 set.

But according to LEGO Shop at Home it’s not available until December the 3rd. Weird.

Oh well... Lets hope The LEGO Group look over their organisation some day in the future...

November, Wednesday the 13th 2002:

The 10030 Star Destroyer is being shipped to customers here in Europe as we speak but today I still don’t know wether I’ll receive the 10030 Star Destroyer or not and it’s around six weeks since I ordered it and my VISA card has been messed with once by LEGO Shop at Home...

To sum things up:

“A very long, long, long time ago there was this saying amongst business men (and women) that the customer’s always right but that’s something that died a very long, long, long time ago and I truly wonder if I’ve made a misstake doing business with LEGO Shop at Home...”

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    Last edited by Sweden; 11-14-2002 at 03:44 PM.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...

Exclamation Re: Thoughts and facts about LEGO Shop at Home…

November, Friday the 15th 2002:

“It’s 3.30 PM here in Sweden and finally this whole story is about to reach a closure.”

At the time of writing this post it’s about 15 minutes ago I got off the phone after calling LEGO Shop at Home here in Sweden and finally the whole mess is sorted out and all questions are finally answered so here’s the final installment in my article about LEGO.

I called the toll free LEGO Shop at Home number here in Sweden and asked the LEGO representative if they had tried to make a new “reservation” on my (VISA) card for the total amount of 3130.00 Swedish Crooner for my order of the 10030 set and the answer was yes.

I was glad to hear that the so called “reservation” for my order finally had gone through without any problems at all and I also got a explanation to why it didn’t go through the first time and that it was because of a minor human error working with the advanced order system.

I was told that they finally had gotten the information that the 10030 set indeed were in stock and was being shipped to customers here in Europe who had preordered it but that the stock was limited as they only received one shipment at the time from the manufacturing plant.

The first shipment they had received of the 10030 set was already sold out and shipped to the customers who had preordered and prepaid it and they had received a second one but the LEGO representative was unsure wether or not I’d receive mine with this shipment of sets.

Since the LEGO representative couldn’t see if their second shipment of the 10030 set was already sold out and shipped to the other customers standing in line before me I was told that I’d at least receive it with the third shipment right after December the 6th if not much earlier.

The reason to why LEGO Shop at Home here in Sweden hadn’t received the information that the 10030 set were in stock was from what “I” understood simply because of the fact that the warehouse department “hadn’t” informed LEGO Shop at Home that the item was in stock.

Well... At least I’ll be receiving my sample of the 10030 Star Destroyer set real soon.

To sum things up.

“It’s totally clear to me that there’s a lack of organisation within The LEGO Group and its different departments and that one doesn’t know what the other is doing and vice versa and that’s something I truly hope they’ll look into to avoid situations like this for the customers.”

A big “thank you” to the LEGO representative for being ever so kind. You know who you are.

Kindest regards,

All in good time, this too shall pass. *breathes slowly*

It's always a cause of frustration when dealing with service reps whether on the phone or in person when it feels like they don't care much about their customer.

I've often heard these famous words "All of our stock for the Star Wars toys are already out there in the pegs." when asking store personnel about if they've gotten the latest wave of figures. On the flipside, I've also met knowleadgeable personnel who knew that I'm a collector and have actually gotten out of their way in finding at the stock room the figures I wanted.

It all evens out in the end and I've learned to chill out when things don't go my way because sooner or later I'm able to find the stuff that I needed. What's important is that you get it in the end and it's much more rewarding when you don't get stressed out in the process.

Just my 2c.
    ACPin
    SSG Dioramas Editor
    ACPin Star Wars Webmaster

Exclamation Re: Thoughts and facts about LEGO Shop at Home…

Ever so true about most you say ACPin.

During my 34 year old life I’ve had two types of experience when it comes to dealers.

The common dime in a dozen salesman and/or clerk:

I’m looking for the SONY 36” Wide Screen TV...

Ahhh!!! You’re looking for this SONY 36” Wide Screen TV for $3400.00!!! Ahhh!!! But I’ve got a 99 Gazzillion inch Wide Screen Plasma TV for only $9999.99!!!

*The dork shows off the pure waste of money un-developed plasma technology.*

Ahhh!!! That’s a must have!!! Ahhh!!! Lets finish this sale!!! Ahhh!!!

Mister do you think I’m an idiot or what?

*I leave and Mister full-of-it looks just like a UFO.*

The ever so rare salesman and/or clerk that actually knows what he’s selling and that also are interested in the product and what the customer wants and need:

I’m looking for the SONY 36” Wide Screen TV...

Okay. It’s a very good choice for a large WS TV. There are slightly better ones but they’re more expensive. The difference between them are small however. Thinking about building a home theatre or?

Yes I am. First a new TV. Then a receiver and speakers.

That’s cool. You’re getting very far with this WS TV.

Yeah, I knew what I wanted in the begining though but I had to ask you. Got it in stock?

Let me check... Hmmm... Yes. It’s actually a pre-order item but I do have one in stock.

And what’s the price for it? One store wants $3400.00 and another $2800.00 what price can you give me?

It’s a discontinued model now. It’ll be replaced with a new one next year. How about $2600.00? That’s the best price I can give you.

You got yourself a deal Mister.

This is actually a true story about when I bought my new TV that I had been working so very hard to be able to afford and it’s a typical example of what you can encounter going to a store buying a TV, fridge, freezer or a owen etc and serious stores “ARE” very rare these days.

Okay, everything was solved after “JUST” six weeks when it comes to my pre-order of the 10030 Star Destroyer set from LEGO Shop at Home but $313.00 is still a whole lot of money for most people in this world and there’s no excuse at all for them to mess around with my $.

And so they did and it could have given me a world of problems with my bank account.

The thing is that LEGO Shop at Home “HAS” a very complicated pre-order system at least here in Sweden and that The LEGO Group “IS” a somewhat un-organized toy manufactuer that truly need to look over how things are within the different departments in the future.

And it’s un-organized when one doesn’t know what the other one is doing and vice versa.

However, once again a “Big Thank You” to the LEGO representative for all the help I got as the powers responsible for the mess didn’t do anything at all clear things up.

You know who you are and a big thank you again.

That’s my 2c.

Kindest regards,