Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does anyone box or study martial arts?

I was very curious to see if anyone boxes or studies any form of martial arts. I've been boxing for two years and I dabble in shoot fighting, and basic Kung Fu. My husband is an accomplished martial artist. He studied Hun Gar, Tai Chi, and Chi Lin. I'm just curious as to what styles some of you all might study. Is anyone into strength training? Body building?
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

in grade school i did about four years of tae kwon do, i studied jujitsu shortly, and in college i learned some tang lang quan - praying mantis kung fu - from a graduate architecture student. i definitely want to join a praying mantis school near where i live. i just need money first. i really have this strange pull to that style. plus i got monkey arms, so the reach helps with that style plus, every once in a while, i get the feeling that the mantis is my sort of "spirit animal" - one summer i encountered three of them in one month, and that was during the time that i was searching for schools... i eventually found one nearby, and am just waiting to gather up enough funds...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

NINJA!!!
    Banana!?!
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

Well, I did Tae Kwan Do for a couple months when I was in grade school. But, I have been playing hockey since I was 5, and I found out the fine art of hockey fighting beats at least up to blue belt in Karate. My younger brother was a blue belt....it didn't help him much.

Banana!?!?
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Whenever I've found myself in an unavoidable physical confrontation, I find resporting to a poke in the eye and a swift kick to the ole family jewels just as effective as 5000 year old mystic arts..

I use to take some form of martial arts a really long time ago. I also use to shadow box, but I kept waking up on the floor with a bloody nose.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    Whenever I've found myself in an unavoidable physical confrontation, I find resporting to a poke in the eye and a swift kick to the ole family jewels just as effective as 5000 year old mystic arts..
    actually, eye pokes are part of praying mantis... when the guy was showing me the "use" for the moves i was learning, i suddenly got it... i was like "oh, i see what's going on here..." and he said (with a little trouble with his english...)

"yes, it is very.... uh, bad..."

"dirty fighting!" i replied...

"yes, dirty fighting. yes." he responded. i thought that was pretty funny!

however, the fighting part of it isn't what draws me to it... i'm very interested in the spiritual side of it, and the fact that it's one of the best work-outs, especially for someone like me, who feels that just sitting there "pumping iron" is boring and a waste of time. for me to get in shape, i need something that is interesting, that i'm learning WHILE excercising. and learning to defend myself while getting all of that is just icing on the cake.

still, how many of you that studied some form of martial arts started because of how cool "the karate kid" was? i know that was my initial reason!

I just watched Pumping Iron on Cinemax, I think it was Friday night,....and man, I have never felt so small and fat (if that is even possible) in my entire life.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

well, see, that's the thing with the body builder set... they have all that mass, but probably don't know what to do with it... that's the difference between "strength" and "power" - strength is pretty straight foward, but power is the effective use of strength, and that's what any good martial arts will teach you - how to best utilize your strength for the most economical defense and reaction.

plus, most of those guys can't even tie their own shoes!

I have been taking Shotokan, a Japanese form of karate for 8 years now, and I still am. It's proved helpful quite a few times, although I am starting to get bored with it. But I'm not going to quit, though.
    "Ohnomyfriendthisisamistakeaterriblemistaketheyhav egonetoofarthisismadness!" -Count Dooku, AOTC