View Poll Results: Which Type Of Action Feature Is Most OK By You?

Voters
709. You may not vote on this poll
  • Count Dookus lightsaber slashing attack

39 5.50%
  • Han Solos quick-draw action snap

19 2.68%
  • Anakin Skywalkers Tusken-punting kick

8 1.13%
  • Jango Fetts spring-fired ball of fire

43 6.06%
  • Chewbaccas electronic droid-in-a-bag

293 41.33%
  • Clone Captains tripod spring-fired cannon

127 17.91%
  • I cant stand any of these features!

180 25.39%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Which Type Of Action Feature Is Most OK By You?

Action features started appearing in our figures since 1999 when the Deluxe Figures Hasbro offered for Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul, featured lightsaber moves you could activate with a button on their back.

In favor of the features, the button was unobtrusive and the sculpts offered some cool though pre-posed sculpts of the main combatants.

To be sure though, the figures' articulation and balance to stand on their own saw sacrafice.

In 2002, action features hit as the standard for all Collection 1 figures.

Kit Fisto had the least visible snap-back lightsaber swing, while R2D2 had real lights and sounds.

The Force could be accessed through magnets, while many figures had quick-draw features, spring loaded weapons, and Anakin even had a lightsaber that extended out of a hilt molded to his arm.

The Destroyer Droid blew apart and could be reassembled with battle damage, while Count Dooku had lightsaber moves and Yoda could levitate himself in battle.

Now it appears that Mace Windu will be offered with an action feature knob that plugs into his back, and might be larger than his entire torso.

These action features are so diverse, that they are almost uncomparable to each other. Some work, others do not.

Please think of your favorite figures with these kinds of added features, and vote for the style which is the most OK by you. Then let's discuss it as we look towards the 2003 action figure line.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I voted for Droid in a Bag, although I never really thought of it as an action feature. To me, it's just another way to create an figure of a character at a particular moment in the story. The other features, to me, detract from the overall likeness of the character. While it might be interesting to have a figure drop kick an accessory, it's really only fun the first time then the novelty is gone. Even when my kids play with some of these things, the same is true. Cool for a few minutes, then easily forgotten about. Overall, action features just aren't worth Hasbro's time.

I don't really mind any of them. I think most of them work well, and don't ruin the sculpts. The kick action on Anakin is a tad lame though. They should have just gave him saber swinging action. I'm not going to vote right now though.

I would have voted the quick draw feature, on Zam or especially Padme: Pilot. Pilot Padme's quick draw doesn't ruin her sculpt or articulation. Unfortunatly Tycho chose the absolute worst figure to represent the quick draw catagory.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 11-18-2002 at 02:07 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

There have been so many "weird" changes to figures that it is really hard to recall them all. I remember when Obi-Wan, Vader, and Luke came out with buttons that you pushed for "light-up" sabers. This made these figures bulky and rather ugly. The Fireballs and "Force Sticks" shooting out of figures are cool and add some "play-value" to children -- but I believe Collectors dont like these -- they take away from some of the articulation. Small buttons that allow the figures to swing the sabers and such are acceptable, as long as they do NOT effect these figures fitting inside certain vehicles. Lights and sound effects within R2-D2 are GREAT -- as are "blow apart" droids. In 2003 -- I would like to see figures have better articulation, cloth capes, and NO weird apendages sticking out of figures!
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......

I voted "I can't stand the features" as that was the best answer that fit my thinking. However, it's quite extreme for me as I think Hasbro did a very good job trying to hide the levers, thumbrollers, etc that make these features "act"

The reason I don't like action features or could just do without them is that I don't use them. I put my figures in dioramas and there they stay unless I put them in different scenes.

I do think that "button" on the back of bespin luke really detracts from the coolness of the figure BUT I really like the threepio light up eyes and r2d2 sounds and lights, so I guess those kind are ok
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Question

I was wondering why the rocket-firing R5-D4 wasn't on this list, or are we all trying to forget him? I would have definitely voted for that as the best!

No, seriously, I voted for the Chewbacca Droid, becase it is a feature that add's to the authenticity of the figure without taking anything away from it's overall looks, or posability. But honestly. . . these toys are geared towards kids who actaully play with them, so as cheesy as a action-feature may seem. . . the kids probobly love it. Cool poll, though.
    Star Wars : The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) World Champion

Even though the Cannon isn't really an action feature as much as it is a cool accessory (as is the Threepio in a bag), I voted for the cannon. I am SO not looking forward to seeing Mace Windu with the throat lozenge on a stick feature that's coming out next year.

More articulation, fewer action features and action poses!!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Bobafett07728 -- We ALL just ALMOST had forgotten R5-D4 -- but NOOOOOOO -- you had to go there and pull him out ofthe trash!!
    HAHAHA!!

The C-3P0 with the light up eyes was GREAT -- but could have been ALOT better if he would have come with all the parts to build him.

Stillakidd -- Im with you -- The figures that I do open -- usually just sit there. I have no need for the wheels and buttons.
    JediBoulton --

Definately the clonetrooper.

Jango's missle is hard to fire.
    I decided to come and rescue you.
    Anakin To Obi-Wan
    AOTC

Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
    Even though the Cannon isn't really an action feature as much as it is a cool accessory (as is the Threepio in a bag), I voted for the cannon. I am SO not looking forward to seeing Mace Windu with the throat lozenge on a stick feature that's coming out next year.

More articulation, fewer action features and action poses!!!
    I thought this Mace was in the Deleted Scene of ATOC.

"This party is over -- I have a real bad cold and my cough drop just got shoved through my back!"
    JediBoulton --