Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

high priced basic DVD's

anyone know why some basic, single disc DVD's are so expensive? two films i've wanted to buy, "copland" and "apollo 13" sell for over $30 bucks each. i just saw "apollo 13" today for $36!!!

with DVD's usually being priced to sell ($9 to $20) why are movies like these so expensive?

Depends on the studios. Universal (Apollo 13) can occassionally be high price wise. Paramount is similar. My suggestion for you, would be to order Copland and Apollo 13 online. You can find them alot cheaper that way. By the way, the MSRP for Copland is only 14.99, so somepne was trying to rip you off. And Apollo 13 has very nice extra features, unless you get the DTS version, which is barebones.

Apollo 13
    DVD Features:
    Theatrical trailer(s)
    Audio commentary by director Ron Howard
    Audio commentary by Jim Lovell and Marilyn Lovell
    Original documentary "The Lost Moon: The Triumph of Apollo 13"
    Extensive exploration of the special effects explained by Robert Legato and Mark Forker
    Comparison of the movie's key sequences with NASA footage
    Bill Paxton's home movies of going to space school
    Behind-the-scenes footage
    Widescreen anamorphic format

Copland $10.79 at Deep Discount DVD
    Apollo 13 $14.27 at Wal-Mart.com

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 11-20-2002 at 09:29 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

thanks jar jar.

did apollo 13 come out a while back when dvd's were priced higher? any word if it will get the special super duper re-release?

Apollo 13 was released on DVD, back on 2/24/1998. It has alot of special features, so I doubt that they will double dip it. Also, Universal is not well known for doing double dippings anyway. And when they do, it's usually because a sequel is coming out. I don't see Apollo 14 coming anytime soon. So, I think it's safe to assume that this will be the best release it will get. After all, the current version is already anamorphic.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Paramount is so bad at pricing their DVDs. When Better Off Dead came out last summer it cost me around $20 from buy.com. It has one disc and no features except for chapters.

I'd like to get Tron, but it's been around $20 since it was released. I'll get it if it goes down to $15.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Tron is worth it, even for $20.00. It's 2-discs, and has a load of special features. I wish that they would give the Black Hole a Special Edition along the same lines.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I too find it hard to spend more than $20 on a "bare-bones" DVD. This problem I come across usually when trying to update my VHS collection to DVD, and the DVD is an older one, with no special features, and no new plans for a "Special Edition" release.

Case in point, I was seeing Hudson Hawk around town for about $16-$20. The DVD has no features what so ever, but I just wanted the film. I ended up buying it after last Christmas for $9.99 at Wal-Mart. Good Enough.

Unless its a 2+ Disc Set w/ loads of GOOD extras, I don't like to pay more than $15.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    Paramount is so bad at pricing their DVDs. When Better Off Dead came out last summer it cost me around $20 from buy.com. It has one disc and no features except for chapters.

They do the same with their Star Trek DVD's. Man, those things could be SO much better but they come with absolutely nothing! And they're always priced over 20, even at Walmart???

You guys/gals notice that most of the cool sci-fi/fantasy flicks are always way over-priced (unless you get 'em when they first come out) compared to many of the main-stream dvd's
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Yeah, I did notice that. Like my "Lifeforce" DVD, for example; some cool features and extras I wasn't expecting, though nothing I'd consider "Special Edition" (despite what it said on the top of the box )

Its a basic Sci-fi movie, but I bought it at Suncoast for around $30 I believe. Now, it is Suncoast, so overpriced is the standard. But I couldn't find the DVD anywhere else, and they were asking about the same online. Same with movies like Stargate, Krull, and all the other cool Sci-Fi's that aren't extremely popular.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I got the Special Edition of Stargate for under $20. Where did you see Stargate for such high prices? Wolfwood, you should buy from deepdiscountdvd.com. I buy all of my dvd's there, and they have that Lifeforce DVD you speak of for $9.36
    Back and more bearded than ever before