Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Do you do 12" Dioramas? How big are they?

I sort of do 12" dioramas. I don't make backgrounds for them, but I do try and use characters that appear together in the movies (or I exaggerate a little).

Do you do this? What are some of your largest groups of figures?

Some of my larger groups include:

12" Bounty Hunters (the 6 obvious choices).

The Sarlaac Battle: Leia Slave w. R2 Server, Luke Jedi, Han Unfrozen, Electronic Boba Fett (hopefully Lando Skiff and Gamorrean next year - and dang this needs a Weequay!)

Jabba's Palace: Chewie N' Chains, Leia Boussh, Luke Jedi (robed), Bib Fortuna, Boba Fett, Han's carbonite block. I'm going to add a Gamorrean and Lando Skiff to this one as well. Looks like I'll be buying 2 each of these figures.

- Jabba and Oola would be nice, as would the Max Rebo Band, but the band I'm inclined to keep separate for space limitation reasons.

Mos Eisley: I have 2 Sandtroopers (orange and white), Ponda, Greedo, R5-D4, I have the Death Star Droid as "RA-7", and the Jawa. I didn't want to overcomplicate things, so I only have Modal Node member Nalan, because I liked his instrument the best.

Death Star: I have Tarkin, Vader 14", and the Royal Guard, with Palpatine.

Bespin Landing Platform: I have Leia Hoth, Han Bespin, Lando, C-3PO, and Plastic Bark Chewbacca. (Lobot would not do anything for me. I don't need him in a 12". I like having just the heroes here.)

Hanger Battle #1: Black Travel Amidala, Padme handmaiden, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OOM-9, Battle Droid.

Gungan Battle: Capt. Tarpals on the Kaadu, Electronic JarJar, OOM-9, Battle Droid (and I totally want a Destroyer Droid here to make the Trade Federation at least appear to be a threat!)

Galactic Senate: Amidala Senate, possibly Anakin (because I like that scene when he comes to say good-bye), Valorum, Senate Guard, and an E.T. that's from the 80's that's the perfect size! I'd love to add SENATOR Palpatine to this group, as well as some of the other cool characters we've seen involved in galactic politics.

Mos Espa: Here I have Padme Tatooine, Anakin, Watto, Electronic Naked C-3PO, (I need an extra R2D2 - preferably with tools), the Pit Droids, Sebulba, and I'd love to add Shmi Skywalker and a collection of Pod Racers in the 6-to-12 inch size! They are so funny looking!)

Endor Strike Team: Luke Speederbike, Leia Speederbike (soon), I have 2 Scout Troopers on Speederbikes, Han Endor, Original Chewie, Wicket. (I want to have Han fighting a Scout and Luke and Leia on the same Speederbike but then I'd have 2 extra bikes taking up a lot of space! I wished Leia Endor had been released just boxed and without a bike!)

Clone Troopers: I have the Commander, Captain, and 2 Troopers posed like their the Fantastic 4 launching into battle!

Jedi Council: Eventually I want to set up the entire Episode 1 Jedi Council. I would put Shaak-Ti and Coleman Trebdor (the new E2 members) into battle scenes.

Arena Battle: Right now, I only plan on doing 4 figures: two Jedi I like (Ki Adi Mundi, and I'm hoping for a great SaeSee Tiin) versus two Super Battle Droids. - The Super Battle Droid is not that great of figure, and buying more regular E1 Battle Droids or OOM-9's just doesn't thrill me. I have 4 and they never bothered to give them turning wrists or improve them in any way (between OOM-9 and the regular one's release) so I'd prefer not to have a lot of figures I don't think are particularly great. This applies to Plo Koon, who I've handled personally because my friend got him early and I don't think the Plo figure's that great. I'll just get 1 for my Jedi Council scene, I'm sorry to say.

I have a lot more 12" displays, but I think my bigger groups have all been spoken for. Sometimes a display only requires 2 figures like Obi-Wan versus Jango, or something large by itself like Darth Maul on the Sith Speeder or the Dewback with Sandtrooper. Still, the groups can be more fun!!!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

you need to get a camera. i'd like to see all this.

All I've gotten around to is arranging my figures in groups on each shelf. Bounty Hunters, Imperial Officers, Hoth, Episode 2, Episode 1, droids, etc...
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I'm more in line with Exhaust Port. The only diorama-like scenes I have set up are Luke and Leia swinging across the death star chasm, and two mobiles: one with Vader's severed hand w/light saber and the Emperor falling down the death star II shaft while Jedi Luke and Vader (sans hand) with helmet removed are on a shelf above, and the similar scene from EP1 with Obi-Wan leaning over dead Qui-Gon on a shelf above a mobile of Obi-Wan's light saber and Darth Maul cut in half. For some reason the mobiles make me chuckle whenever I notice them moving around.
    It may be the early bird that gets the worm,
    but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

I only have one of each 12" figure, and I just put them in an action pose then it's on to the shelf. I will have to get new shelves though since my other 6 shelving units all won't fit my new theater room properly. Before I had the figures displayed on a shelf according to what movie it was in. Now I will most likely have to make seperate OT & PT shelf displays since that is the only way I'll be able to fit my figs in my room. I should be getting a scanner here in a couple weeks and I'll be sure to post some pics.

I haven't done any customizing, as yet, but I'd sure like to make a command chair for Ackbar and a cantina booth for Ponda, et al.

Originally posted by IG65
    I'm more in line with Exhaust Port. The only diorama-like scenes I have set up are Luke and Leia swinging across the death star chasm, and two mobiles: one with Vader's severed hand w/light saber and the Emperor falling down the death star II shaft while Jedi Luke and Vader (sans hand) with helmet removed are on a shelf above, and the similar scene from EP1 with Obi-Wan leaning over dead Qui-Gon on a shelf above a mobile of Obi-Wan's light saber and Darth Maul cut in half. For some reason the mobiles make me chuckle whenever I notice them moving around.
    These displays with the mobiles I'd love to see a picture of.

Eventually, I'm going to set up Obi-Wan slicing through the split-in-half Maul, but I'm going to hang Maul's upper body with so many fishing lines that he won't be able to move, so he's always facing Obi-Wan. I'm looking forward to seeing that finished, but not the process of doing it. Hanging my ships is more fun!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

those sound really ambitious there, Tycho....
    The closest I have to a diorama with the larger scale figures are kind of "character groupings" like the heroes of Episode One, the classic bounty hunters (I'm anxiously awaiting the upcoming chance to complete THAT one) & my AOTC group.

I've got a third group I kind of rotate according to mood or theme...those figures eat alot of space!

Oh - mine are "groupings" like yours. Aside from the hanging Maul, I normally don't do anything special for my 12" displays - but if you think about it, yours and my figures are displayed in a diorama of sorts, by the very nature of their grouping.

We don't display the 12" Watto with Zam Wessel, etc.

So we do put care and taste into a particular method for how we display our 12" collection!

I'm keeping it in mind though, that some 12" figures have ready-made backgrounds you can put up behind them.

Originally posted by Tycho
    Eventually, I'm going to set up Obi-Wan slicing through the split-in-half Maul, but I'm going to hang Maul's upper body with so many fishing lines that he won't be able to move, so he's always facing Obi-Wan.
    Tycho you'll only need two. Make sure they're lined up properly and then tie them to where they got in a V shape to at least between the shoulder and the elbow. Make sure they're wide enough apart (can be from the cieling or whatever, just as long as they're like: \ / So they can't twist around each other due to gravity making them pull away from each other so the only way Maul would move is if you touched him or the strings but he'd always be facing Obi-Wan.

Also unfortunately I don't have any room for 12" displays.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"