Exclamation Building the 10030 Star Destroyer set Part I

Tuesday the 26th of November 2002:

I started off at 2 PM by cutting the seals on the box open and removed the upper paper tray holding the massive A3 instruction booklet and then I removed and opened up the four boxes and the plastic bags containing the parts and then I did a very basic sorting of them all.

I used the top and bottom of the set box and some smaller cardboard boxes to sort out all the pieces, larger parts in top and bottom of set box and smaller parts in smaller cardboard boxes for easy handling, and at 2.35 PM I was finally ready to start constructing the frame of the set.

First I decided to build both the frame halves at the very same time but when I reached Step 4 in the instruction booklet I changed my mind and went for building one frame half at a time but when I finally had reached Step 18 I started on building the second half of the frame.

I decided to go for that option as Step 19 went onto detailing the sides of the frame halves, or “guts on the outside” as it’s also called in the modeling community, since I wanted to all the time consuming work building the detailed parts for both the frame halves at the same time.

After building for some hours I looked at the first frame half and thought it looked odd and saw that the sides were slightly bent in towards the middle of the frame and discovered that I used two 16 stud “Technic” beams instead of two 14 stud ones in the engine area of the frame.

After fixing that minor misstake I went onto the extremely time consuming work of building the detail parts that goes on the side of the frame halves and I tried different ways of putting them together in order to not get bored and tired handling those tiny little parts galore.

After building for six straight hours and having reached Step 24 where the frame halves had been put together and been placed on the double display stand I decided to take a break and get some sleep at 8.35 PM as I had been working all night and hadn’t gotten to bed yet.

A couple of hours later I woke up and at 11.20 PM I continued building on the frame for the set and 1 hour and 20 minutes later at 12.40 AM the frame was all done as well as building up the very massive engine area of the ship and I had reached Step 36 where the hull is built.

End transmission, Tuesday the 26th of November 2002.

Stay tuned for more.

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...

Wow!!! That's dedicated, much more so than I could imagine myself being. And since I don't have any place to put this thing, I certainly wouldn't have a building space to let the frame sit while I built for days and days.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Exclamation Re: Building the 10030 Star Destroyer set Part I

Yeah, I’m pretty dedicated but not a fanatic though.

Yes a whole lot of space is needed both for sorting out the parts and the set itself so I used my bed for sorting out the parts, had to sleep in the sofa but that’s what I always do anyways as the TV is in front, and the Star Destroyer is placed on the top shelf of my computer desk.

I’m looking at it as I’m writing this and wow is it one “HUGE” monster set.

Now, wonder where I’m going to place the Darth Maul Bust and the Rebel Blockade Runner?

Kindest regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...