TRU commercial store looks so clean

I don't get this, for over a year now, Toys R Us has been filming almost all its commercials at the store by my house, Los Feliz TRU right near Glendale, CA, and I've even been there during filming of a few by accident - they film most while they're open and give advance warning a week in advance or so (there was no back-half to that robotic Geoffrey for last year's thanksgiving-themed ad, yet all the dinners in the shot were real). So how come whenever I see these commercials the store looks so neat and clean and efficient and well-lit? This is the same store I visit all the time, it perpetually has candy wrappers and opened toy packaging and dust all over the floor and shelves, the products are a scattered mess and the pegs are sloppy and torn up, and nearly every section is dark and dank and noisy. And don't get me started on the skylight.

I know a few of you are regulars of this store too, so you know what I'm talking about. So is ILM spending their spare time cleaning up the shots? How do they pull this off? I just saw one right now that looked ridiculously well-kept both outside and in, and it's not from when they first opened because the side of the somewhat-recently-added Best Buy is in the outside shot.

Just crazy thoughts from your friendly neighborhood JT.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

We've been in TRU stores around the US and none of them are very clean. The cleanest ones we've been in were at Gurney MIlls right outside Chicago and just one of the TRU's here in our home state.
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

It always seems that they are more concerned about pushing product through the doors than anything else. Yeah, I understand that they only make money when stuff sells but everything else seems to go to hell as they try.

This is my second year as a seasonal worker at my local TRU unloading the trucks and it's a total cluster. There is never room for everything so stuff is just stacked every place. With that new stupid floor plan they just stack junk in the main floor path in bulk. If you are really looking for something you MUST call or ask an employee if they have it since a lot of stuff doesn't make the floor right away. Because of inconsistances in employees managing the stock area (usually due to being rushed to find something) it's nearly impossible to know what you have in stock and where it is. As Christmas approaches trucks start arriving daily and are quickly unloaded and pushed to the floor. No one knows what exactly whats going to be on the truck until its unloaded.

I have to believe that there is a better way to run this type of business. It would be better for the employees and customers would have a better shopping experience.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Re: TRU commercial store looks so clean

Originally posted by JediTricks
    I don't get this, for over a year now, Toys R Us has been filming almost all its commercials at the store by my house, Los Feliz TRU right near Glendale, CA, and I've even been there during filming of a few by accident - they film most while they're open and give advance warning a week in advance or so (there was no back-half to that robotic Geoffrey for last year's thanksgiving-themed ad, yet all the dinners in the shot were real). So how come whenever I see these commercials the store looks so neat and clean and efficient and well-lit? This is the same store I visit all the time, it perpetually has candy wrappers and opened toy packaging and dust all over the floor and shelves, the products are a scattered mess and the pegs are sloppy and torn up, and nearly every section is dark and dank and noisy. And don't get me started on the skylight.

I know a few of you are regulars of this store too, so you know what I'm talking about. So is ILM spending their spare time cleaning up the shots? How do they pull this off? I just saw one right now that looked ridiculously well-kept both outside and in, and it's not from when they first opened because the side of the somewhat-recently-added Best Buy is in the outside shot.

Just crazy thoughts from your friendly neighborhood JT.

Two words: Film crew.

First, I'm actually surprised that they'd shoot in a real store. Almost always, these are sets or dummy stores built specifically for commercials. For instance, there is a mockup McDonald's here in LA that people pull into all the time by mistake.

Anyway, since they are shooting in your store, the Production Designer probably swept in there with a swarm of Art Dept. people and P.A.s and cleaned it up pretty well. Then on shooting day, a forty-footer filled with lighting and another with grip gear arrived to take the place of that horrible fluorescent look. By the time the camera was set up, the place was as homey as ever.

Then when wrap was called, they put it all away, flipped the overheads back on and let the usual band of miscreant employees and shoppers back onto the floor to continue their humdrum flatlit and shabby lives.

UK TRU's need health and Safety called in - they're disgusting!
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

Re: Re: TRU commercial store looks so clean

Originally posted by stillakid
    Anyway, since they are shooting in your store, the Production Designer probably swept in there with a swarm of Art Dept. people and P.A.s and cleaned it up pretty well.
    Having done this for a living for several years ... and having swept up and otherwise "sanitized" many a filthy Los Angeles location ... I can attest to this. Besides ... that store's not the worst around by far, it's still somewhat new.

I thought this only happened at my TRU.The one in Gainsville is nice(probably the only nice TRU in FL)However,the one near me is disgusting,I dont know how they stay open...

..Anyways.I was thinking last time I went in,that TRU is really a scary/dangerous place.The new layout provides more places that are dark,hence to hide.I'd be worried that a child molester/sicko lurking around in my store.Just think of all the little kids that run through without their parents.Frightening really.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

EP, sounds like a disaster and even worse than what I pictured in my head of what goes on back there. Maybe the company should look at this as one of the main reasons they're failing, they have so many crazy ideas of how to put a band-aid on these days that it's a wonder the whole store isn't Animal Alley or whatever they call that barren section right by the door that nobody seems to ever buy anything from.

Stilla, this was a big-deal store for them back when it opened, they built it from the ground up as the one of the very first Concept 2000 floorplans (oh how I pine for that crappy floorplan now that we're with Concept 3000) in their fleet and it had a different feel than their other stores thanks to the wider floor and airy (though often dismal) skylight, maybe that's why they film there instead of on a soundstage or a mockup. I know it looks nice thanks to "the magic of the industry", but I've been there right before and right after shoots and most of the time it doesn't seem as clean as when it's on the tube. Maybe it's magic elves.

plasticfetish, it's not that new anymore, it's 5 years old now. As soon as they went to the current Concept 3000 floorplan (after Ep 1 came and went, so about 2 years ago), the whole store went to pot and never recovered. It attracts a bad element because of its location and from being so dank inside, and this leads to some real messes. For example, on the latest TRU commercial about black friday sales, they showed the Barbie section with customers moving through aisles of perfectly-alligned matching boxes; yet when I had to venture into the very same labyrinthian Barbie section for my niece's birthday last week, it looked like a pink bomb had gone off. BTW, pity poor Ken, I had no idea what Mattel had done to him of late.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.