Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Talking Star By Star

Picked it up last night. All I can say so far is wow! I haven't started reading it yet, but it's 606 pages long. I might be done in time for Ep. II.
    Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

Warning: BIG Star By Star spoilers ahead!

Don't say you weren't warned.

Spoiler in
    -------------
    Not a bad read so far--I've got about 50 pages left to go. I'm beginning to wonder how they decide the plot of upcoming novels. Do they have a dartboard with everyone's name on it and throw darts to see which character(s) die?

I'm more shocked by Anakin's death from a storytelling perspective than his death as a character. He's been so built up in the past few novels that it's a letdown to have him go out like he did. And hasn't Han been through enough in the NJO?

With Anakin dead and Jaina fallen (though I doubt that will last even to the end of the novel), Jacen might be the galaxy's last hope. Well, him and Vergere, who's obviously a deep cover Jedi operative from the old school!

Coruscant about to fall, and Garm Bel Iblis a sure goner? Borsk showing backbone just before the inevitable defeat?

Can't wait to finish this. But I hope he NJO doesn't go on too long, or it'll just be Jacen Solo all by his lonesome in this big ol' galaxy!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Gaaah!! You TURD! I didn't want to know that!! Arrgh! I guess you did say SPOILER. But, man.....darn it all. Well, now I HAVE to read this. I was going to put it off until after I had read Fellowship of the Ring again, but now I think I'll have to go grab this and read it.

(sigh) first Chewie, and now this. Any chance he might come back? No? Well, I suppose you can't have both Ben Skywalker and Anakin Solo running around as heirs to the Vader legacy in future books so ONE on them had to go. Mark my words, Han and Leia will be dust before this series is over. Just giving you all fair warning...
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Sorry, EP. But it turns out Anakin's only the tip of the iceberg.

I'm really surprised the final battle over Coruscant wasn't edited after the September 11 attacks. I think a lot of folks have overreacted with the intensity of their edits, but I really didn't want to read detailed descriptions of exploding skyscrapers. But at least that was less weird than the Yuuzhan Vong using ships full of hostages as kamikazes. Of course, they are religious fanatics who'd rather sacrifice and destroy than convert or coexist, so it is fitting, from a certain point of view.

I'm feeling pretty torn on the NJO. On the one hand, they've been (with the exception of Balance Point and, to a lesser extent, Rebirth) great reads. On the other hand, they're way too dark for Star Wars, they make Palpatine's rule seem less evil by comparison, and, well, does anyone else think it's really beginning to push the limits of plausibility? It's one thing for a nutso group from another galaxy to come in with the intent to conquer and end up causing some serious damage. But for them to acheive almost total conquest in less than two years? And what's with all the groups outside the Republic (the Hutts, the Empire, the Corporate Sector, the Corellians, the Hapans, the Chiss) joining in for one battle, then going home?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Having time to dwell on it, I have come to the conclusion that as history repeats itself (especially in Star Wars) this series will end with Han, Leia , and Luke sacrificing themselves (DEAD.) which will allow the next generation to come to bear. Jacen will be the Obi-Wan character. Ben Skywalker will be the Luke character. And after a long period of dormancy, Anakin will return cobbled together with machine parts and being a very angry Darth Vader character. Any takers?
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

There may be spoilers here, so read at your own risk.

Well once I started to read this book, I couldn't wait to finish. I can't belive Anakin is dead!! but by the way this book ends who knows, It seems like the author, name?, just wanted to keep writting. I hope the next book picks up right where star leaves off, otherwise they'll be backtracking to answer questions. I don't like that, It's an easy out. I was really hoping that vergere could have saved anakin, Yeah I know that makes no sense if his cells literaly burt themselves up??? whatever, and why didn't he just use all that lovely glowing force to heal instead of sacrifice!!

Speaking of Vergere, i heard that she was in some pre episode one books? So does that make her the oldest living jedi in hiding? Maybe in all her wonderful years she learned of some wonderful way to bring the dead back.. anyways after reading the book it feels kinda like the 'empire strikes back' of the series. Which means there still is a lot to be told.

I can't type anymore I'm to upset that the author stopped writting about anakin!!
    Your signature here!

Vergere is a Jedi in Rogue Planet (between TPM and AOTC) who has gone missing. Obi-Wan and Anakin are dispatched to find her on a world where bio-engineered spacecraft are grown. A mysterious force from outside the known galaxy, who detest all things mechanical, tried to steal the biotech of this world, and Vergere was fascinated by them. She went with them when they left, hoping to establish diplomatic channels.

How she ends up, though. . . . Either she's a great bluffer, or her Jedi self only pokes through a separate personality occasionally.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So she is the oldest jedi alive since yoda was supposedly the last, but died.
    ...spoiler...

I think she's great bluffer. At the end of star she some of her mystical tears drop on Jacen's shoulder and he ask "Vergere were you-" But she cut's him off and says "Yes Jacen." "I was crying for you." I really thought she was gonna say that she was a jedi. But who knows, I guess thats why I keep reading these terribly depressive NJO books.
    Your signature here!

So far, she's cured Mara Jade Skywalker, healed Jacen (thanks for pointing out the significance of that scene--it completely slipped by me!), overlooked sensing Jaina in the voxyn lair, and defeated Tsavong Lah at dejarik by using a very sneaky move. She also apparently forgot her ruse briefly when she was holding Anakin's lightsaber, wielding it like a seasoned pro (until Jaina's attack brought her to her senses).

As for the oldest, I suppose it depends on whether Vima da Boda is still alive. Wasn't she like 200 or so in Dark Empire?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I read the first book introducing the Yuuzhan Vong to the SW universe. Could you guys tell me which books to read next? I'm not interested in reading the side stories at this time.