Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Sweden’s review of the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

Wednesday the 4th of December 2002.

Since I’ve been so incredibly busy working driving the taxi cab and sleeping I haven’t been able to write and post my review of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” until today...

Anyway, on to the review.

The box:

The “Imperial Star Destroyer” box “IS” labeled “Ultimate Collector Series” and with full color artwork and is “NOT” labeled/called a “Sculptures” series model unlike the “Darth Maul Bust” and the “Rebel Blockade Runner” that LEGO Direct made and released last year.

The box itself is “HUGE” and measures around 58,5 centimeters (23 inches) wide, 50,5 centimeters (20 inches) high and 21 centimeters (8.5 inches) thick looking at it from the front and worth to mention is that there’s additional pictures of the ship on the backside of the box.

This box is unlike the previous releases of the “Darth Maul Bust” and the “Rebel Blockade Runner” boxes rather classy, a qualified guess because of the way it’s done is that it’ll hit retail some time next year, but it’s very fragile as it’s very thin and will easily get damaged.

Another thing to mention to all the LEGO fanatics out there who are completists and into box variations is that the “Imperial Star Destroyer” box is of “US of A” style with piece count and notification that it’s a building toy on the lid just like all the other “US of A” box releases.

A warning:

In my case at least my sample of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” was shipped in a cardboard box just half a inch wider, higher and thicker then the set box itself that resulted in receiving a set box that had been crushed during shipping so this LEGO Shop at Home solution is crap.

Pure crap I might add.

Since I at least know how incredibly rough and brutal the postal service can be and usually are with packages sent it’s bound to happen that your set box for sure will be (badly) damaged so demand that LEGO Shop at Home ship it in a much larger and sturdier cardboard box.

It’s a good thing to do so especially if some of you guys and girls collect opened LEGO Star Wars set boxes in “Near Mint” condition like I do since I feel I got ripped off by LEGO Shop at Home as I received a crushed set box that now has “NO” collectible value at all for me.

Shame on (the postal service and) LEGO Shop at Home. I just have to say that.

The instruction booklet:

Is of course in full color and takes you through the building of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” step by step but please note that caution is needed as there’s a whole lot of pieces to keep track of and it’s pretty easy to make minor misstakes if you’re in a hurry building the ship.

So carefully look at all the drawings of what pieces that are needed for each and every step that you are building on the “Imperial Star Destroyer” or otherwise you might end up missing something vital out and have to start searching for your misstake and where you did them.

The building of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” is divided into first building the two “frame” halves on pages 2 to 29, second the two “display stands” that are being built on and attached to the two frame halves on pages 30 to 39 and third the “engine area” on pages 40 to 57.

Fourth the “lower left hull plate” on pages 58 to 81, fifth the “lower right hull plate” on pages 82 to 104, sixth the “upper right hull plate” on pages 105 to 127, seventh the “upper left hull plate” on pages 128 to 150 and eight the lower 2/3 of the “tower area” on pages 151 to 189.

Ninth the upper 1/3 of the “tower area and the command bridge” on pages 190 to 220, tenth the “Mini Rebel Blockade Runner” on pages 221 to 222 and eleventh the “display sign” on pages 223 to 226 that concludes the building of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” set.

The gigantic 228 pages long A3 sized instruction booklet is in itself a true collectible item but the cower is so very thin that it doesn’t hold the pages that eventually will fall off and worth to mention is that “NO” January 2003 LEGO Star Wars sets are shown off on the last page(s).

Another warning:

As i said in my diary and building posts “Building the 10030 Star Destroyer set Part I, II and III” I managed to find a few but vital errors in the instruction booklet and I’ll bring them up in this review once again in order to collect all the information about the ship in one post.

The error are as follows:

Lower right hull plate (pages 82 to 104) Step 20, page 98.

A magnet that aren’t supposed to be attached until Step 21 on page 99 is already in place.

Lower right hull plate (pages 82 to 104) Step 21, page 99.

I looked at the picture on the left upper corner of what parts that are needed for Step 21 and discovered that one 2 x 12 plate and one 2 x 16 plate is not included on the parts needed picture but on the hull plate progress picture they’re shown already attached and in place.

Lower 2/3 of the tower area (pages 151 to 189) Step 14, page 161.

On the parts needed picture on the upper left corner it’s shown that you need a blue, part# 4274, Technic Pin ½ but you aren’t told how many of them you need but on the progress picture all 22 of them that you actually need are being shown already attached and in place.

The “Imperial Star Destroyer” itself and building it:

I built the “Imperial Star Destroyer” in 20 hours and 50 minutes divided in five sittings, first sorting out the pieces and then building the frame and the two display stands in 6 hours and 30 minutes, second the engine area in 1 hour and 20 minutes, third the two lower hull plates in 3 hours, fourth the two upper hull plates in 3 hours and fifth the lower 2/3 of the tower area, the upper 1/3 of the tower and command bridge area, the Mini Rebel Blockade Runner and display sign in 7 hours and after all those days and hours I were finally done with the beast.

The construction of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” was pretty much straight forward even if I found some minor errors in the instruction booklet but it was time consuming to build all the detail parts that go on the hull of the ship but then again it’s mostly repeated building.

It was quite a experience to build the “Imperial Star Destroyer” as one really gets to see what can be done with the famous building bricks and parts and it’s amazing to see what the LEGO designers have created and what solutions that they’ve used making this monster model.

In my opinion I got a whole lot of (LEGO) model for the 2990.00 (around $299.00) Swedish Crooner I paid for the gigantic “Imperial Star Destroyer” as a “real” model kit version of this size probably would have a $1500.00 to $2000.00 price tag if not even more expensive.

The LEGO version of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” is in my opinion of (almost) model kit quality as the LEGO designers has gotten the most shapes and details as correct as could be done with LEGO bricks and parts and this set is bound to be a true classic in the near future.

I placed my sample of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” on the top shelf of my computer desk where it’s firmly in place for me and guests to view and study and the good thing is that the set is kind of modular so it’s pretty easy to move and transport it if it’s ever needed.

So is it worth the investment you guys and girls ask?

Yes, but even for me who has a job and make my own living the price of 2990.00 ($299.00) Swedish Crooner was “VERY” high as it basically cost 1/3 of what the average Swedish citizen makes in a month working real hard to pay the bills and it took ¼ of my pay check.

However...

I feel sorry for the younger children, teenagers and low incom workers who possibly couldn’t afford a expensive set like this as it’s a work of art that any LEGO or Star Wars fan should have in their collection but then again this product is aimed at the collector who can afford it.

So is there something that’s bad with this set you guys and girls ask?

Yes there are a few bad things.

First:

The two display stands included in the set does their work holding up the massive “Imperial Star Destroyer” but in my opinion at least they’re a bit pathetic and doesn’t make a impressive display for the monster model but I’ll design a new and larger display stand later in the future.

My guess is that it was designed that way to keep the price down.

Second:

The hanger bay on the middle of the “Imperial Star Destroyer’s” belly is just a gaping hole that really needs an interior as it can be seen really well and I simply can’t understand why the LEGO designers didn’t finish off this area of the ship before finally releasing it on the market.

Third:

There’s also a quite visible gaping whole in between the two display stands.

Fourth:

The dome on the belly of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” just in front of the engine area isn’t included in the set but I guess it was left out because of the two display stands and the angled shape of the hull and then again maybe they didn’t come up with a good design for it.

A minor thing that I wouldn’t complain about but that’s worth to make a note about is that it’s possible to see through the ship at the sides, top and bottom etc but it’s not as bad as it was seen on the pictures that were taken I think it was in Germany that were found on BrickShelf.

If one keep in mind how the “Imperial Star Destroyer” was designed and that this was probably the best and only way to do it in order to keep the price tag down this monster model is truly the finest work of art that The LEGO Group has released from the Star Wars films.

The “Imperial Star Destroyer” is according to The LEGO Group 93,98 centimeters (or 37 inches) long and 58,42 centimeters (or 23 inches) wide and since I was curious about the scale I calculated that the model is around 1:1703 scale but that’s just some rough maths I did on it.

There you’ve got it people.

File closed.

End transmission, Wednesday the 4th of December 2002.

Kindest Regards,

Lars “Sweden” Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    Last edited by Sweden; 12-04-2002 at 08:57 AM.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...

Thursday the 5th of December 2002.

Another "Imperial Star Destroyer" note:

From what I can see and understand the “Imperial Star Destroyer” was shipped directly from the manufacturing plant as the brown cardboard box the set was delivered in was marked that it contained the set and my sample was manufactured the 7th of November 2002 at 11.54 AM.

Kindest Regards,

Last edited by Sweden; 12-05-2002 at 03:21 AM.

Thursday the 5th of December 2002.

Yet another "Imperial Star Destroyer" note:

Some fun facts about the “Imperial Star Destroyer” for fan(-atic)s:

When lifting off the lid of the set box the massive instruction booklet is placed in a cardboard tray for safe transport of it and all the parts come in plastic bags divided in four really large white and numbered boxes 4194437 (12), 4194439 (10), 4194477 (14) 4194478 (14).

Kindest Regards,

Friday the 6th of December 2002.

Even another "Imperial Star Destroyer" note:

I do have a old camera but it’s not really suitable for close up shots of the “Imperial Star Destroyer” but more suitable for medium and long distance ones and I’ll see if I can take some nice pictures of the set but go to the following link for some really great pictures.

Virtu Halttunen’s 10030 "Imperial Star Destroyer" construction photo-documentation:

http://tols16.oulu.fi/~mhalttun/stardestroyer/

Kindest Regards,

Exclamation Re: Sweden’s review of the 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

Friday the 6th of December 2002.

I’ve seen over at the “From Bricks to Bothans” website and forum that people have asked the question how long it did take to build the “Imperial Star Destroyer” so I thought I’d follow that question up on this forum as I find it to be a very interesting question worth a answer.

As I said earlier on in this post it took me 20 hours and 50 minutes divided in five sittings to build it and that might seem like a very long time but I were in “NO” hurry at all to finish off building it as I really wanted to enjoy the experience and study what the designers had done.

In my very own opinion it seems like some people are into “Speed Building” as they finished it off in 7 to 10 hours probably wanting to see it built up as soon as possible and tell people about it but remember that it’s “NO” contest at all so building time will be very induvidual.

So if any of you get the “Imperial Star Destroyer” take your time and enjoy building it!

J1000m, I know you read this so thank you for mentioning my post at the “FBTB” forum.

*You better run as I’m a subject “NOT” to be brought up*

Ha, ha, ha... Just kidding with you so mention me as much as you want to. Ha, ha, ha...

Thank you once again.

Kindest Regards,

No problem, the *runs away* sig is because of the admin presence over there - they'll kick you off for not liking a set...

BTW I've been kicked off over there with this username, so I guess I just blew my cover.

*stays at SSG*
    - HkChicago

Sunday the 8th of December 2002.

To quote Snake Plissken in Escape from New York: “A little human compassion.”

HkChicago, I know what you mean when you say “they’ll kick you off for not liking a set” but I won’t go into that as I’ve seen some nasty posts about me over there and as I’ve received some not so nice e-mails from them so I’ll leave it alone as I don’t like people like that at all.

I won’t even bother with them so let them have their religious play ground shall we.

Anyway, posting may not be so incredibly frequent at this LEGO forum but the topics are free from the ever so typical and boring “You’re simply the best, you’re simply better then all the rest and you’re simply God almighty!*” posts and are of interesting quality that I truly enjoy.

*Think of the music of Tina Turner*

I don’t really know any of the people at this forum but I think they’re more then okay as there’s no arguing and back stabbing going on and the moderators Sir Steve, Mr. ACPin and Mr. JediTricks seems to be very likable guys as they’re fair and not judgemental on here.

As I do work a whole lot driving the taxi cab that take up so much of my life and time and have a wonderful girlfriend, a quite large family and friends that I want to spend most of my spare time with the slow posting rate at this forum suits me just fine as I got the above life.

However, I do try to contribute to this forum as much as I possibly can especially with my reviews of the sets, and I got some articles I’ve been writing coming up as soon as possible, in order to get things going at this incredibly user friendly forum for LEGO Star Wars fan-atics.

*Thinks it’s a good decision that HkChicago stays at Sir Steve’s Star Wars Guide.*

Kindest Regards,

I agree completely with your review.
    This is by far the most impressive and challenging lego set i have ever put together, but also making it the most rewarding.
    It took me about the same amount of time to put it together but in three sittings, (I was sick this weekend). I loved opening it up and taking out this war and peace instruction book.

I agree that they needed to finish the hanger and also add the sensor ball at the bottom, but the detail to the rest of the ship is amazing. My biggest concern is the fact that it has no playable value. Heck moving it from one place to another is a difficult challenge in itself. I can't understand why they would put movable turrets on it since there is no way a child can probally even lift it. Lego used a bit to much technology when they decided to go with the magnets to hold the wedges together. I remember back in the day when lego had bending pieces almost like flaps. my ion cannon falls out and so does one of the engines.
    The last problem I found is that the shield generators are two different pieces. the top piece is correct yet the bottom piece is a moon rock. I know it seems like a lot of complaints but for $269 they could have made them match!

All in all a fun model to put together. It looks beautiful anywhere you put it and is an awsome collectors piece to own. I have been waiting for this piece ever since I found out about it and it did not let me down. The time put into constructing this amazing ship more than well makes up for the cost as it is challenging, fun, entertaining, and amazing. I can't wait to dig out my micro machines Millennium Falcon and attach it to the back of the command deck!

10/10

Darth Metalmute
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Wednesday the 11th of December 2002.

Darth Metalmute, thanks for your kind words about my review and I agree with you too.

Yes, it’s by far the most impressive and challenging work that The LEGO Group has done and released and that I’ve put together and I totally agree with you that it was the most rewarding one and I truly hope that we’ll see more sets like this before the license ends.

It’s really cool to hear others like you who could afford buying a set like this and then therefore could make comments about this monster model as I always like to hear what others have to say as well as getting really good quality conversations going on here at the forum.

I don’t think you’re complaining though as I totally agree with you on what you say.

For a “model” as expensive as this set was one would expect that they would have included a hanger bay and a “sensor ball” on the belly of the ship as it’s so incredibly clearly visible when looking at it but as you say all the other details are truly amazing for being LEGO parts.

I also agree with you on the “shield generators” as the bottom pieces being “moon rock” parts and that’s something that The LEGO Group could have fixed easily but they actually don’t bother me that much as they’re a bit cowered by the other parts unless you look really close.

Yeah, it has no playable value but then again it was designed, made for and aimed at the collectors who wanted more of a model kit display piece then a “System” set scale version and then again a version in that line wouldn’t have been possible for several good reasons.

I totally agree with you once again that the movable turrets are useless as it’s not a playable “System” set for children and in my case as well the ion cannons and one of the main engines keeps on wanting to fall off and that’s a bit annoying in my humble opinnion but I’ll live.

Yes it’s a challenge to move the Imperial Star Destroyer from one place to another but it’s a very good thing that the LEGO designers went for the modular design on the set as it makes it easier to move and transport the model in case it’s ever needed or wanted in the future.

I’ll give the Imperial Star Destroyer 9 out 10 points and not more for the above reasons.

Kindest Regards,

Wednesday the 11th of December 2002.

Some corrections about the scale of the Imperial Star Destroyer that I found out:

According to a post that Mr. Adrian of the “Brick Frenzy” website made over at the LUGNET website the dimensions of the Imperial Star Destroyer is actually a bit larger then the ones The LEGO Group officially announced and I’ll go for them as I didn’t meassured it myself.

Lenght: 99,06 centimeters or 39 inches.
    Width: 60,96 centimeters or 24 inches.
    Height: 43,18 centimeters or 17 inches.

So the scale of the Imperial Star Destroyer should be around 1:1615 and not 1:1703.

While on the subject of Mr. Adrian go check out his awesome website out at:

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/

Also check out his incredible “Nebuchadnezzar Hovership” from The Matrix:

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/space_neb.html

A must see is his hilarious “Vader’s new weapon,” an Illustrated Star Wars story:

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/space_isd.html

There you go people.

Kindest Regards,