Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Yoda?

Who is Yoda?

Believe it or not, I was asked that question today by a secretary in my office!

I have a cool denim long sleeve shirt which Maul's face on the chest pocket. I wore it today b/c if I don't have to be in court, I'm not wearing a suit - I don't like suits So, I walk into the break area to grab some water and some secretaries sparked up a conversation about Star Wars b/c of the shirt. They said they liked the movies, etc., and one said she'd never seen a SW movie. I asked if they liked when Yoda threw down in AOTC and the one who said she'd never seen a SW movie said "Who's Yoda?"

Now, this lady is nearly 30 and has never seen a SW movie. If she were under 20, that would be acceptable - I GUESS!! I just find it VERY odd that someone from my generation has never seen ANY Star Wars movie given the cultural impact that ANH, ESB and ROTJ had on my generation.

Thoughts?

J

Its not that she hasn't seen a movie, it's that she doesn't know Yoda. I've known girls who've never seen SW, but still are with it enough to recognize an Icon.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Well, my grandpa, who was 60 at the time was doing a crossword puzzle () and Obi-Wan Kenobi was mentioned in a clue. He said "Who the Hell is Obi-Wan Kenobi?" I know he is old, but he would have been about 35 or so when Star Wars came out. I was sort of surprised he didn't have any idea who he was. Oh well, I guess that stuff just happens.
    "Ohnomyfriendthisisamistakeaterriblemistaketheyhav egonetoofarthisismadness!" -Count Dooku, AOTC

I know a bunch of people who never saw the films at all. Plus I know plenty more who didn't "bother with" Episode II after seeing Episode I. But it is rare to find someone who hasn't at least heard of Yoda. Though, having said that, I'd be even more shocked if they hadn't heard of Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker. Afterall, Yoda is essentially a supporting cast member and not the primary hero or villain. That can make all the difference in the world.

Re: Who is Yoda?

Should've told the woman: "The unofficial love child from Kermit and Ms. Piggy."

Then if she says "Who's Kermit and Ms. Piggy?" then ask her what rock she's been living under.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

There many people where I work that haven't seen the OT or maybe just one of the OT films, but have seen both the PT films. One girl told me her and her boyfriend tried to watch ESB & ROTJ (they had already seen ANH & didn't think it was all that great) and didn't like the Yoda puppet. I went back and watched ESB & I see what she didn't like about it. Can't put my finger on it, I just don't think the puppet is as visualy stimulating as the CG version. In fact all my friends who grew up with the OT prefer the PT in every way, but for me even though the PT is visualy superior to the OT, I still love them all.

No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Puppet Yoda vs. CGI Yoda

is there a thread on this yet?

anyway. I'll start by saying I'm 28 so you can figure that I probably favor the puppet version already, and I do, but here's why.

I found that Yoda as represented by the puppet in ESB seemed more calm, wise, and sage; more like a Jedi Master. There was a magnetism to him that made him likable. As you watched his patience and care with Luke, you would find yourself wishing you were Luke so that you could try harder to show Yoda you could do it; learn the Force, lift the X-wing. I'm not sure how I'd describe it but CGI Yoda just seemed a little edgier or creepier somehow. the Puppet Yoda seemed more approachable, friendly, and glowing the the good side of the Force

The puppet also had an earthy-gritty quality that fit perfectly into the Dagobah settings. Perhaps the very design of Yoda's species was done during the conception of Dagobah. (Little green swamp man) this may be why Yoda seems to look a little out of place in other settings to me. CGI Yoda didn't have that touchable textured quality that the puppet does. Dagobah was such a great set, you could really imagine the feel, the smell, the sogginess, and Yoda fit right in.

That said, Yoda is one of my favorite characters (I had a cat named Yoda growing up) and I was glad to see him in the Prequels. I wasn't crazy about the idea of him fighting with a lightsaber, but I have to say that the scene was a lot of fun and I found myself cheering him on in the movie, and none of that would have been possible without CGI.

(oh, and by the way, I dated a girl in College who'd never seen any of the star wars movies, and none of the Indiana Jones flicks either. It really bothered me.)