Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DC Dircet to make Kingdom Come figures - How cool is that?!

I just read in the latest Tomarts that DC Direct is planning a line of figures based on Kingdom Come, the mini-series that rethinks the future of the DC Universe. The initial line (pictured in the magazine) will include Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (in armor) and Hawkman! The second series is set to include Batman, Shazam (Captain Marvel), and Red Robin with the promise of more to follow.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

It was the limited series of all limited series - epic on a scale that stories usually don't achieve. There have been grittier things, maybe more gripping things, but never anything quite this visually stunning. Alex Ross is just completely different from anything and everything else in comics - unbelievable. Those designs deserve the figure treatment, but they better do it right if they want to do those comics the justice they deserve.

How can you ever forget the end of #3, Captain Marvel standing there totally possessed looking, enormous, and ready to kick butt? It's burned into my mind's eye for life. Incredible.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Check out Figures.com for more info on the figures, as well as a nice picture of Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Hawkman. Here's the info as well as a picture and a link.

Mark Waid and Alex Ross's unique vision comes to life...

Mark Waid's and Alex Ross's unique and enduring vision of the DC Universe's dark, possible future will be coming to life next summer with KINGDOM COME ACTION FIGURES.

The first solo-packed wave will include:

*GREEN LANTERN

*HAWKMAN

*SUPERMAN

*WONDER WOMAN

"I've collected pretty much every DC action figure to this point, and as a big fan of quality action figures, these are the finest sculpts I've seen come out of the DC Direct line," says Ross. "It's very exciting for me to see such realistic and vivid versions of the characters. I'm very happy to see how well these match up to what I painted, lo those many years ago."

"I was literally slackjawed at the sight of these," says Waid. "It's as if Alex's paintings have walked off the page."

"Once the sculpts of these figures started coming in, we couldn't believe how well Tim Bruckner translated Alex's work at such a small scale," says Georg Brewer, DC's VP - Design & Retail Product Development. "I think anyone who picks up these action figures will love the level of detail we've achieved with them."

Further waves of KINGDOM COME ACTION FIGURES will include Red Robin, Batman, Shazam!, Kid Flash, and more.

The KINGDOM COME ACTION FIGURES are scheduled to be in stores on July 16 and will be advance solicited in the January issue of Diamond Previews (Volume XIII #1).

Kingdom Come Figures

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdom come figures.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	4672  
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Number one, a big thank you to Jar Jar for adding the further info and link. That is a big help in conveying how cool these figures really are!

Number two, I must again beg all fans of DC Direct figures to write DC and demand Watchmen figures! We were so close and yet so far!

And finally, number three, I thought that this would be a good forum to discuss who else from "Kingdom Come" we might like to see given the DCD treatment. Especially considering the fine level of detail given to the four we have seen thus far.

The big question on my mind of course is, "Where is Magog?! He is only the tragic semi-antagonist of the series! So, in no particular order, here are my picks for the further Kingdom Come series:

Magog
    Norman McCay
    Blue Beetle (armored)
    Power Woman
    Nightstar
    Wildcat III
    Batwoman
    Avia
    Joker's Daughter
    Bat Knight (robot)
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Your welcome. I saw the thread, and remebered seeing the picture and info over at Figures.com. So I tossed it up here, knowing that a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm not a huge DC collector, but these look damn cool.

Speaking of cool, but not a Kingdom Come figure, I definatly have to get my paws on the DC Direct Cyborg Superman figure. Love the detailing and the articulation. I wish they would release these in regular stores though.

Cyborg Superman - Supermanís cybernetically enhanced adversary, is consumed by his desire for vengeance on the Man of Steel! This fig features an amazing 18 points of articulation, measures approximately 6 1/2" tall, and includes an "S" shield base.

DC Direct Superman Wave 1 Figures
    DC Direct Superman Wave 2 Figures

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyborg superman.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	4687  
    Last edited by Beast; 12-06-2002 at 04:07 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thanks again, JarJar. The two series of Supes figures are great, especially the Cyborg. Finally! After all these years the Cyborg Superman from Reign of the Supermen is given the toy treatment! Too bad it will be March of 2003 before we see Wave 1 and (I think) June of 2003 for Wave 2 and the Cyborg! But they are worth the wait!

According to ToyFare magazine (and several other sources that I'm certain I've read even though I can't presently recall them!) Magog should be included with those others mentioned as being proposed for future waves (in fact, I believe he has been mentioned as coming in the second wave!). You might also want to check action-figure.com for more info, and even better pictures! Another fantastic action figure site - my favorite! The page does tend to load a bit slow, so those of you without high-speed connections be warned.
    Last edited by RooJay; 12-10-2002 at 06:41 PM.

Those look fantastic. Ill keep my copies of Previews handy for the next little while until I see the prices and can talk to my comics retailer about them. I think Cap. Marvel should be one of the next few released, along with Magog (who was apparently designed after Rob Liefeld's Cable character from X-Force! Alex Ross is one sarcastic fella).
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Originally posted by jjreason
    I think Cap. Marvel should be one of the next few released, along with Magog...
    jjreason,
    You are in luck as the line up for wave two appears to be:

Batman
    Captain Marvel (Shazam!)
    Magog
    Red Robin
    Kid Flash II (reportedly)

At a guess these should be the average cost for a DC Dirct figure. Depending on the mark-up applied by your local retailer you can expect between $15-20 each. If the first wave is slated to appear in the January issue of Previews, I should know roughly what they might cost by sometime just after Christmas. I will post that info here as I always look to see what DC Direct goodies will appear in the next Previews. I have access to that info (in general) about one to two weeks before the catalog hits the comic shops in the form of a text list of the contents.

I'll go one better:

I can guarantee you that (unless a miracle occurs and DC Direct finally decides to price their figures competitively with the rest of the market - at about 10-12 bucks) the suggested price of these is going to be 15 dollars, though they will commonly be sold at comic shops for as much as 20 dollars. Shop around when they are released!