Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

new Anakin and Padme and their new bodies

i received the new anakin and padme today from the UPS man, and after taking them out of their boxes, i looked them over for about 5 minutes and then began the process of pulling their heads and clothes off.

Padme

the barbie body she comes with is just horrible. it has no pose-ability, and is so skinny it makes her head look even bigger than it really is. i swapped it out with a LOTR arwen body and it is much better. i thought i'd never get the hands through the sleeves, and i'm amazed i didn't tear the fabric, and the shirt was too short, so it had to be sewn to her pants! this is an OK likeness of natalie portman, a lot more accurate than the previous padme "dolls". the head should of been a lot smaller, but is no where near as big as the prototype photos we saw.

if hasbro had used their jane body on this figure, along with a smaller head with molded hair and not painted her face so pale, it would of been a 100% better. i'll probably get another padme when they come out at retail so i can make the "ripped" shirt version, just because i'm a sucker

Anakin

anakin comes with the same body as the european exclusive luke skywalker with "saber swinging" action. but this feature, which is actually just a post on anakin's lower back is useless since his clothes are so bulky.

i pulled anakin's head off and put it on a spare blue box body i had because the skin tone matches well, and the GI Joe body is just too short. again, hasbro included the orange undershirt that just looks horrible, so i replaced it with a "defense of naboo qui-gon" shirt and it looks much better.
    the removable arm on the anakin figure is fairly useless since it pops out at the slightest tug, so having anakin on a newer, better articulated body is a big plus, and the loss of use of the mechanical arm is no big deal.

this version of anakin dosen't sport as huge a mellon as the previous anakin, but isn't as good a likeness(not that the first release was so great). as good as the jango and dooku
    sculpts are, this sculpt is a big let-down. and i'm not too crazy about a second anakin in his jedi garb. this means we'll probably get yet a third version if/when the anakin/swoop bike are released.

overall, these figures leave a lot to be desired. only stinkers like all three chewbaccas and the original vader keep these two new figures from claiming the title of "worst figures ever" (without modifications). with the changes i made to better bodies, my opinion of these figures increase a bit, but they could of been so much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ani padme.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	4701  
    Last edited by derek; 12-08-2002 at 10:04 AM.

Dude, that Anakin looks like Ray Park.....

I dont like the Anakin head sculpt at all. I thought it wasnt that bad until I saw this pic. The sculpt itselfs isnt bad but IMO it doesnt look like Hayden at all. The outfit is cool.
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

Thanks for the pic derek. Sadly, you just saved me $40 because there's NO way I'm buying either of these turkeys. So far, I only have one 12"er from AOTC, Dooku, and until the SBD goes on sale, it looks like it's going to stay that way for quite a while. I used to consider myself a big collector of SW 12", but Hasbro has beaten that out of me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Padme looks like a bobble head.

And Anakin is too ridgid in the face, neither look very good. Glad I won't worry about picking these up, I'm just trying to get a few select 12"ers if any at all.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Padme looks like a dude, if you know what I mean.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I think Anakin looks a little like Michael Rappaport.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Anakin looks like a game show hostHmm..I think I'll just pick up the Anakin that was released in April..or wait until next year.Something better HAS to come along(Maybe the one with the removable arm will be good?).
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

That picture represents one of the prime reasons I never collected the 12" line. The heads are too big for their bodies and are usually really bad likenesses to boot. It is amazing to me that they can create such good reproductions on a 3" scale yet screw the larger versions up so badly on a consistent basis. Honestly, how is that possible? Unless of course they're going for that f'd up look.

Well yes Stillakid, HasBlow goes for the F'd up look on every other wave. The Zucky wave is great for Hasbeen, so maybe, just maybe we will get another great wave soon.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)