Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Custom 12" Darth Vader

Hello, I am new to this board. I have never really liked the 12" Darth Vaders that Hasbro have come out with. I have been patiently waiting for Marmit to bring out that long rumored Darth Vader but I have gotten tired of waiting. I have decided to take matter into my own hands and create my own movie accurate Vader.
    It took me a bit of time to finish him but now that I have, I am quite satisfied. I have a website that his pictures of him as well as pictures of him next to the Hasbro versions. The link is:

http://mmhand.50megs.com/index.html

Let me know what you think!

I have never collected 12" figures, mostly because of financial constraints, and I'm generally uninterested in most of the ones out there, except the droids, but I must say, your work is quite impressive. Good job!

Welcome . I honestly can't tell what the difference is between the custom, and the 4 Vader's I have sitting on display are. Maybe I'm just blind, but could you explain in detail exactly what you did if you wouldn't mind?

The helmet redesign looks very nice, those comparison shots are very telling.

I'm not sure I agree with you on the shoulderpads though, not that Hasbro's are any good mind you, but these look like sporting equipment.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

He kind of reminds, size wise, me of the 12 " electronic Vader with removable helmet.
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

I am jealous of anyone with the talent to do customs like this. Very good work!
    My wife treats me like an ATM machine. She pushes my buttons until I give her money.

Mini-rock, I did a few modifications that in my opinion made a huge different. I am obsessed with Vader figures so any small improvement is a huge difference to me. All of the parts I used were from the Removable Head Vader and Vintage Vader. The body is from rh Vader and the helmet and shoulder pads are from vintage vader. I padded the body so that he looks a little more impsoing and strong. The chest piece fits alot better now. I cut off the velcro on the cape and added a chain. I got the vintage vader helmet and painted gloss over it so it would shine more. I cut the shoulder pads off the vintage vader and replaced the ones on the rh vader. In my opinion, the biggest improvement was the helmet as I absolutely hate the ones that came on the other ones. It you know of a vader that has a more movie accurate helmet then pleas let me know.

JediTricks, the shoulder pads were the hardest part to do. I had to use a soldering iron to remove them from vintage vader's arm. I agree that they are not perfect but man, those little pads on the Hasbro versions were horrible. I mean they didn't even cover his entire shoulders.

Jedi Master Silas, his body is a modified version of the electronic RH Vader so they are similar in size except that the helmet is larger on my custom and makes him look much larger.

Darth Cruel, thanks for the compliment. You would be surprised at how little talent this stuf requires. This is about my fourth custom and its really pretty easy. Loose Star Wars 12" figures are really cheap on ebay right now and so I have had alot of fun experiemtning.

Very nice. I love the Vintage Helmet. How much did the Vintage Vader go for on e-bay?
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

hanks for the explenation. I can se the difference in the helmet now that I've looked a little closer, but the rest is hard to make out due to my crappy monitor. The helmet does look good though.