Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So was Dooku gonna kill Obi and Anakin or what?

After he defeats Anakin, Dooku de-ignites (?) his lightsaber and stands there for a second before sensing Yoda and turning around. Why wasn't he on his way over to chop them up? He certainly intended to cleave Obi-Wan, before Anakin jumped in the way.

Re: So was Dooku gonna kill Obi and Anakin or what?

Originally posted by Fulit
    After he defeats Anakin, Dooku de-ignites (?) his lightsaber and stands there for a second before sensing Yoda and turning around. Why wasn't he on his way over to chop them up? He certainly intended to cleave Obi-Wan, before Anakin jumped in the way.
    You're right! I hadn't really noticed that. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

I can hardly wait for the twisty answers to this one...

Remeber that Palpatine/Sidious has been keeping a close eye on Anakin. Palpatine has been mentoring him, being someone that Anakin can talk to about things. He's likely told Dooku to ensure that no harm comes to Anakin. That's why Dooku looks disapointed at cutting his arm off. Here he's been hearing how this boy is supposed to be the future, and he's so easily defeated.

As for Obi-Wan, well Dooku does still have respect for Qui-Gon's memory. That's why he tried to get him to join him. He realized though, that killing him might end up being necissary, after he refused to join. Not to mention, there was no future chance of him joining, after seeing his true side be revealed in the arena.

Let's also remember, that Dooku just had a long duel with 2 different people. Maybe he wanted to take a breather. Obi-Wan was incapacitaed and Anakin was unconscious/ in shock. Why worry about two people that are no longer a threat. Dooku is a noble villian, not a cold blooded killer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Maybe he was going to do the thing that ALL villians in movies do......

and explain their entire evil plan, attach them a giant sundial, which when the sun focused on it at high noon, would cause the light to burn through a rope, which is suspending an axe over their heads!

But that darn Yoda had to go and foil everything!!!
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Remeber that Palpatine/Sidious has been keeping a close eye on Anakin. Palpatine has been mentoring him, being someone that Anakin can talk to about things. He's likely told Dooku to ensure that no harm comes to Anakin. That's why Dooku looks disapointed at cutting his arm off. Here he's been hearing how this boy is supposed to be the future, and he's so easily defeated.

I had briefly considered this angle, but thought better of it in terms of Palpatine's "big picture." Being a Sith and all, it would behoove Palpatine to NOT let Dooku know that he has interest in Anakin. Afterall, Dooku is just one of the many pawns in Palpatine's plan. Once the wheels of the Clone War have been set into motion, there is no need for Dooku any more.

I predict that in Episode III, we'll see Dooku make a play for the throne which will give Palpatine the excuse to send Anakin off to hunt the would-be new Sith lord. If Dooku is already aware of Anakin's potential and Palpatine's true intentions for the boy, then Dooku has every reason to fear for his life during AOTC and would have little reason to continue being Palpatine's patsy.

Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
    Maybe he was going to do the thing that ALL villians in movies do......

and explain their entire evil plan, attach them a giant sundial, which when the sun focused on it at high noon, would cause the light to burn through a rope, which is suspending an axe over their heads!

But that darn Yoda had to go and foil everything!!!
    LOL! Plus, what's with the big fancy saber-twirling before he strikes? He knows you're a good swordsman, just dissect him already!

Originally posted by JarJarBinks

As for Obi-Wan, well Dooku does still have respect for Qui-Gon's memory. That's why he tried to get him to join him. He realized though, that killing him might end up being necissary, after he refused to join. Not to mention, there was no future chance of him joining, after seeing his true side be revealed in the arena.

Let's also remember, that Dooku just had a long duel with 2 different people. Maybe he wanted to take a breather. Obi-Wan was incapacitaed and Anakin was unconscious/ in shock. Why worry about two people that are no longer a threat. Dooku is a noble villian, not a cold blooded killer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    My thoughts exactly.

I agree with that, too. The look on Dooku's face after he chops off Anakin's arm is mixed with weariness and (in my opinion) regret. It seems that his old Jedi nobility hasn't been driven from him fully.

While Sidious might be monitoring Anakin from a distance he would not be so dumb as to instruct Dooku to not kill him as a possible candidate as a Sith. Why would Sidious essentially let Dooku know who is his most likely replacement? Also, why wouldn't Dooku if he did know make SURE he killed Anakin so he'd not have a chance to do the same to him to get his position. That whole notion is not only false, it doesn't even hold water.

On that subject, FAR too much credit for every potential for treatchery is being misdirected towards Sidous/Palpatine. We've just been amazed to see how capable he's been from time to time that some of us just can't help but turn every compass towards him as if there wasn't such a thing as evil in that whole galaxy before he was born. Lucas is a master at not only great writing, and weaving an interesting web, and subtile linking from this to that, but the urge to link EVERYTHING is getting a bit overblown, especially when it comes to making it look like Palpatine does everything to Anakin as if Anakin isn't in control of his own actions. That's not only false and not intended, but it's also totally missing the point about what Anakin's story is meant to convey as a lesson to learn; the lesson isn't "don't let people control you," it's "control yourself."

But, on the question at hand, too much is being read into that moment. It's just a shot to establish Christopher Lee's expression as he notices Yoda walk into the room. Nothing more. If Yoda hadn't showed up, he was 1 second away from either stepping forward to whack them or just get on his ship and escape as he was attempting to do from the start, whatever suited his fancy.
    If I loved Star Wars anymore
    than I already do... I'd just puke.

Perhaps like what Ki Adi has said, "he is a political idealist, not a murderer."

I do not think that he really wanted to kill Obi Wan, if not he wouldn't have just grazed him with his sabre or else Obi Wan would have joined the ranks of those whose arms got chopped!
    "It was just a little story outline with bits and pieces," -- George Lucas