Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Anybody watchin' Firefly?

Damn Fox straight to hades! Once again, Fox has a good, break-the-mold, not-entirely-mainstream show on their hands (2 actually counting John Doe, but that's a different issue) and they bury it in the dregs of their schedule on Friday night. Why not just air a test pattern or infomercials in its place, may as well be honest about it. I think Firefly is pretty good, definitely one of the few shows for Fox that is entertaining enough to return for, yet I can already sense the sword of damocles hanging perilously above it -- a la Dark Angel, The Lone Gunmen, Futurama, and Family Guy. If I could say one thing to Hollywood, it would be to boycott Fox until they start nurturing new series better rather than the current policy of the 13-ep heave-ho. While I don't know the crew of Serenity is getting keel-hauled and I certainly hope the show lasts a long time, I won't be surprised if it gets the axe by May.

That said, tonight's show was really solid and did a nice job of building just a tiny taste of the overall story rather than an overwhelming amount. One thing I really liked was that River isn't just a zombie here, she's creative and resourceful when the need arrives. Also, the bounty hunter - while bearing a few slight similarities to other sci-fi mercenaries - was a very interesting character and reminded me of someone we'd meet on "The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr." rather than just a generic hunter/killer.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

5 days is all it took from writing the above till Fox cancelled the show. There are only 4 eps left, including tonight's 2-hour episode which is actually the pilot ep that didn't get aired till now. Then, after tonight's ep, the show goes on a break for a little while, comes back and finally airs the last 3 eps.

According to AICN, the show is being shopped to the other networks, with UPN being the most likely candidate. Fox shouldn't be allowed to have new series, especially sci-fi series, without a 2-year promise to the viewers. These Fox programming clowns clearly don't recognize the importance of BUILDING a core audience - greedy bastages want it all dropped in their lap within 5 eps or the show gets the axe.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I for one loved the show. Just watched the 2 hour pilot tonight and it was very good. Gave you a better understanding of many of the characters that couldn't be gotten from the later episodes. The show is much better than Enterprise and, dare I say it, Farscape.

And you're right. Fox has a way of killing great shows:

Sliders
    The Lone Gunmen
    The Visitor

Just pray that Sci-Fi doesn't pick up the show and suck all the life out of it as they did Sliders.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

I think Firefly and Farscape are so different that I couldn't really compare them, I like 'em both.

Last night's 2 hour ep of Firefly was pretty good, it made a good foundation, I watched it twice just to catch details I missed the first time around.

As I understand it, Sci Fi channel is no longer going to be producing new original programming, which is why they killed Farscape. What's really weird is that the last season of Sliders, which didn't even have Jerry O'Connell, had its ratings go UP, yet SFC cancelled it anyway because they had already spent the allocated money for it on Farscape, expecting Sliders' ratings to flatline.

At least Sliders got 3 seasons or so out of Fox like Family Guy, Futurama and Titus; Briscoe County, Dark Angel, Lone Gunmen, Space Above & Beyond, Firefly, and so many others didn't even get that far thanks to crappy Fox programming execs.

No more original programing from SFC?

Fox has a bunch of idiots at the wheel. I still can't believe they canceled Futurama or Lone Gunmen.

I guess they were hoping to equal the success of X-Files with Lone Gunmen (sorta like Angel from Buffy). There was never anyway that was going to happen.
    May the force be with you.

Well I loved Freaky Links and they did away with it. Go figure..
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

I was a "Nowhere Man" fan myself (UPN).

I was also a big fan of "Kindred: The Embrace" and I was severly disapponted when it went off the air, not to mention "Dark Skies" which had a REALLY good premise, but was murdered by the writers.
    May the force be with you.

I agree- FOX sucks. I loved Dark Angel, and they end it on a sort of Cliffhanger, and never explaing half the things in it. That's why I never watched Firefly or John Doe. I can just see going along with John Doe, then they will can the show without ever explaining who he is. What a load of BS. They also ruin their Comedy shows like Futurama and Titus by canceling them prematurely. Maybe they should remember some past history lessons, like how low Star Trek was rated, or that Seinfield was one of the lowest rated new shows during it's first season. Sometimews you need to look at the potential and quality of the show. If it's a good show, people will find it. That is if you give them time to. $@%# Fox.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

You know what else I hate? When Fox puts on a series that they cancelled before they ever aired it, like the live-action "The Tick".

Firefly on DVD

Thought I'd bring back this old thread to life. Just got my DVD copy of Firefly yesterday in the mail and man am I happy! I am stoked that I have every episode on DVD now plus extras. This set is definitely worth what I paid for it.

I'm a big deleted scene fan myself. The 3 scenes cut from the pilot sure added a bit to the premise of the show.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000