Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Anybody watchin' Firefly?
    Yes.

As a matter of fact, I ordered Firefly: The Complete Series and Serenity on Black Friday, based on endless recommendations (and Whedon's work on Toy Story and Avengers). I had an inkling I'd probably think it was at least okay, and didn't know I'd be getting a blu-ray for Christmas that I could use to stream them for free from Amazon Prime on a decent-sized screen, but, eh, oh well.

Finally started watching yesterday. I've torn through the first two discs so far, and am having to constantly tell myself not to start the third until I get some work done. This is a pretty amazing show. I'm already a bit saddened that it'll be ending altogether soon (well, for me, since I still haven't seen half the series and the movie).

I'm glad to see that there are graphic novels; even if they're not full-on additional seasons like with Buffy, there's a little beyond the series when I'm done. (Unlike Pushing Daisies, which was supposedly being continued by DC Comics--we've even seen artwork!--but has been in a sort of black hole since the initial announcement.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Yes.

As a matter of fact, I ordered Firefly: The Complete Series and Serenity on Black Friday, based on endless recommendations (and Whedon's work on Toy Story and Avengers). I had an inkling I'd probably think it was at least okay, and didn't know I'd be getting a blu-ray for Christmas that I could use to stream them for free from Amazon Prime on a decent-sized screen, but, eh, oh well.

Finally started watching yesterday. I've torn through the first two discs so far, and am having to constantly tell myself not to start the third until I get some work done. This is a pretty amazing show. I'm already a bit saddened that it'll be ending altogether soon (well, for me, since I still haven't seen half the series and the movie).

I'm glad to see that there are graphic novels; even if they're not full-on additional seasons like with Buffy, there's a little beyond the series when I'm done. (Unlike Pushing Daisies, which was supposedly being continued by DC Comics--we've even seen artwork!--but has been in a sort of black hole since the initial announcement.)
    Glad to hear you're digging it. The good thing about Firefly is it's rewatchable, you pick up more on a second viewing and can enjoy it within a short timeframe of a first viewing. The bad thing is that there's so few episodes and the movie doesn't really hold up (at least IMO).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Serenity was good, but way different tonally from the show. It seemed like Firefly run through a "sci fi blockbuster" filter. I especially missed the twangy theme music.

I was glad that, while many dangling threads were resolved (hooray for Simon and Kaylee!), just as many weren't (Inara and Mal, in particular). The true origin of the Reavers was the biggest shock I've seen in the overall storyline, but I'm not 100% sure how River knew about them--was it something she'd accidentally picked up from one of the VIP observers, and it weighed particularly hard on her conscience?

I understand that Those Left Behind was mostly a lost episode from the second season (or second half of the first season), with bits of at least one other tossed in. And most of Serenity (up to the discovery of Miranda) was the underlying arc from the second season. Too bad--as decent as the comic was and as good as the movie was, they would've both benefited from being stretched out some.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Serenity was good, but way different tonally from the show. It seemed like Firefly run through a "sci fi blockbuster" filter. I especially missed the twangy theme music.

I was glad that, while many dangling threads were resolved (hooray for Simon and Kaylee!), just as many weren't (Inara and Mal, in particular). The true origin of the Reavers was the biggest shock I've seen in the overall storyline, but I'm not 100% sure how River knew about them--was it something she'd accidentally picked up from one of the VIP observers, and it weighed particularly hard on her conscience?

I understand that Those Left Behind was mostly a lost episode from the second season (or second half of the first season), with bits of at least one other tossed in. And most of Serenity (up to the discovery of Miranda) was the underlying arc from the second season. Too bad--as decent as the comic was and as good as the movie was, they would've both benefited from being stretched out some.
    I really didn't like Serenity much, your take is on the money, and I hadn't realized it but the lack of the theme music was a big deal too.

Pretty sure River did pick up from the observers, but that is clumsy. They also changed Mal's character a lot to give him more edge and anger, and they made Simon an action hero by rebooting the rescue of River.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, technically, it wasn't a reboot/retcon of the rescue. Simon likely downplayed how exciting it was when retelling it.

I noticed Mal was a bit edgier, too. His going off on Simon early on and treating him as if he was still a passenger rather stood out like a sore thumb; I also thought it had been made crystal clear in the series that, no matter how much Jayne doth protest, Simon and River were there to stay.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Simon downplayed the fact that he was directly involved at all then, as originally he only paid others to rescue her and smuggle her out.

Seeing Serenity in the theater was such a crushing thing because of how different Mal was. Yeah, losing Inara was a bummer for him but his behavior was a big 180, that going off on Simon thing is right on the money.

So, um, not to sound bitter or anything, but how the hell is it that Heroes is coming back and not Firefly?

Maybe all the "Bring Firefly Back!" petitions should somehow be combined in one or something. I have no idea how Fox can be this clueless.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Firefly is very expensive to produce and never had any success on TV, while Heroes is dirt cheap to produce and had ratings and critical success that let the second through fourth seasons coast off the quality of the first. Firefly is a niche audience series, while Heroes had a broader spectrum of interest and was more approachable. Too bad about everything from the season finale of the first season on going down the toilet.

Wow! Did you guys see the illustrations of Malcolm Reynolds in the new movie that's coming out in December of next year? They're amazing!

Oh, um.... Wait....

I've just been told those are Han Solo from Episode VII. I guess he figured Mal didn't need the brown coat, being canceled and all.
    Tommy, close your eyes.