Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

another discrepancy

We were driving home from the Bronx today and the kids were watching The Empire Strikes Back in the minivan and my wife and I noticed yet another discrepancy, possibly. When Luke is leaving Degobah and Yoda and Obi-Wan are trying to convince him not to, Obi-Wan mentions how he doesn't want to lose him to the Dark Side like he lost his father and then Yoda says something to the effect that there is another. Referring to Leia probably, but wasn't Obi-Wan in the room with Padme when she gave birth and where they divied up the kids? Wouldn't he have known there was another?
    Order66

excellent traders; Val Da Car, Dark Marble, Commtech and info from KidHuman
    Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

Maybe Obi-wan was just being dramatic. Or sexist. Seriously if I have to come up with some explanation it'd be along the lines that Obi-wan scarcely knows Leia - he knows of her but he doesn't know her. He didn't even get around to meeting her in ANH. And perhaps it took someone stronger in the force than him to actually detect her force sensitivity from across space. Although as a sidenote I think Obi-wan was a cooler jedi in the prequels than Yoda - afterall he was seen to defeat 3 foes to Yoda's 0 (Yoda had 2 fights and 2 draws)

Obi-Wan knew of Leia, but Yoda, I guess, was just reminding him, or saying that Leia could still hold some potential if Luke failed.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

yea but wouldn't Obi-wan assume that since there was a twin and she was from the father who was created by the midichlorians that she would possess and abnormally high amount herself, well you know what I mean. And doesn't she send R2 with a message to specifically find Obi-Wan, so she knows about him.
    Order66

Looking for: Master Replicas Darth Maul .45 scale full lightsaber & a 12" Grievous

None of the dialog from that scene suggests Obi-wan is unaware of Leia's identity. Obi-wan said "last hope," not "last Skywalker" or "last force sensitive type person." They'd been grooming Luke for this big confrontation, and the kid was about to put their big plans in jeopardy, so instead of letting Obi-wan bring the situation down with his usual pessimism, Yoda puts him in check by reminding him that they still have a plan B.

Just look at how the "twin sister" discussion plays out with Luke in Jedi. Obi-wan handles all the exposition with confidence, like he's definitely in the know. Doesn't sound at all like he's giving a second hand account of how she was hidden, like he'd just heard this all for the first time from Yoda, and now he's passing on gossip to Luke.

I'd be the first to point out goofy inconsistencies between the trilogies, but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them. I hear traffic sucks in the Bronx, so maybe less eavesdropping on ESB while driving the family around wouldn't be a bad idea.

relax yourself kid, I listen to it 4 or 5 times a trip so if you dont like what I point out and my point of view then peruse somewhere else. ok?
    Order66

I don't think it's a discrepancy per se. Like others have already said, Obi Wan was probably just so focused on Luke that he forgot about Leia. Bail Organa took Leia with him, but Obi Wan took Luke. And he kept an eye out on him. So he was hyperfocused on him. Yoda just reminded him like Mr. JabbaJohnL said.

I think if the prequels established anything, it's that Obi Wan had blind spots.
    Galactic Barn Burner

Quote Originally Posted by Devo
    Although as a sidenote I think Obi-wan was a cooler jedi in the prequels than Yoda - afterall he was seen to defeat 3 foes to Yoda's 0 (Yoda had 2 fights and 2 draws)
    Actualy, Obi got his *** kicked by Jango (draw) and Dooku (twice)....Anakin saved him twice and Yoda once
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone
    Actualy, Obi got his *** kicked by Jango (draw) and Dooku (twice)....Anakin saved him twice and Yoda once
    I think Dooku's fighting style was just the wrong style for Obi Wan. Yes, Obi Wan beat Darth Maul, Grievous and Anakin--but they all tended to fight in an aggressive, out of control style. He beat them in moment's of recklessness, when they all let their guard down or did something stupid. Against jedi types, Obi Wan seemed to be an expert of the Muhammad Ali rope-a-dope style of hanging in there and then WAMMO! delivering that miracle blow.

Dooku was extremely strong, but he also fought with control. He didn't really make dumb-arse mistakes, maybe because he was older and wiser. Also, Obi Wan never fought Dooku alone. Anakin was always there, and I have a nagging feeling that Anakin kind of overwhelmed Obi Wan's fighting style whenever they fought Dooku. He just didn't fight as well.
    Galactic Barn Burner

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone
    Actualy, Obi got his *** kicked by Jango (draw)...
    If it was a draw with Jango then I'd say he didn't really get his ### kicked... or if you do want to say that then Jango also got his ^^^ kicked by Obbers as well.