Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jar Jar hate

Jar Jar haters.....no just read........

People that always hated Jar Jar, (For the sake of argument, I'm on neither side), are you happy that GL essentially made Jar Jar the unwitting scapegoat for the SW galaxy's problems, or would you rather he have,

#1. Gone back to Naboo and done something unconcerned with E2.

#2. Gone back to Naboo and become Boss Binks, and, in an attempt at helpfulness, sent 500,000 Gungans to slaughter at the Battle of Geonosis, providing Gungan haters with such memorable lines as "Dissen hurten", and "Owchie!"

#3. Gone back to Naboo and opened a Gooberfish restaurant

#4. Followed Obi-Wan around the entire time in E2, being that his life debt to Qui-Gon had been, well, unfulfilled, and ultimately found himself zapped in the arse with Force Lightning, consideration of Count Dooku.

#5. Insert alternate fate here

Admittedly, I have a strange obsession with things that bother me. Take Jar Jar, for instance. As much as I wish he never existed, part of me would like to know what could've been. What do you wish had happened to J.J. Binks? Please be creative.

#5. Learns the ways of the Force, and becomes a Jedi like his father.
    Dar Basra

He should have been the representative on Naboo, not on Coruscant. He should have been one of the people sitting around with Queen Jamilla.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I just wish that people who dislike Jar Jar could just get past it. They don't have to like him, nor do they have to announce it on a semi-daily basis,... just get past it and enjoy the parts of the saga they do like.

But, I guess some of us are better at accentuating the positive than others... or at least more willing to.
    If I loved Star Wars anymore
    than I already do... I'd just puke.

I was actually incredibly ticked at what I saw as fan pandering by lucas in what he did to Jar jar. I agree with JT, he should have been relegated to a minor role along side Sio Bibble.......

But why?

Can you think of anyone more fitting of being taken advantage of? The blissfully ignorant, the hopeless optimist, the soft-hearted... there is NOT a better character to commit the biggest blunder in the saga... no character more likely to be targeted as it's puppet.

I think it's creative genious on Lucas' part. Disagree if you like, only Jar-Jar bashers could be so cynical and pompous as to think it was meant for them alone.

(...and no he should not have been back with Queen Jamilla on Naboo because 1. they were not Senators and 2. he doesn't represent the same thing Padme does; he represents the Gungans on Naboo. He has his own vote but was given temporary representative authority of ALL of Naboo until Padme could return. Get it?)
    Last edited by TheJediCharles; 12-20-2002 at 05:29 PM.
    If I loved Star Wars anymore
    than I already do... I'd just puke.

to Jedi Charles...

<<imitating Kinison in "Back to School".........."Good answer..., good answer. I like the way you think.">>

Jar Jar...the Martyr

Jar Jar should not have lived past the end of TPM.

The motivation that allowed him to join the story in the first place was his life-debt to Qui Gon.

As written, Jar Jar did not live up to his promise and abandoned his "duty" when the glory of military promotion presented itself.

Instead, what should have happened was that Jar Jar should have gone with the primary heroes into the Palace. At some point in there, he should have thrown himself in the path of the Destroyer Droids so that the rest of the group could continue.

This would have
    A) fulfilled his obligation as set up earlier in the film,
    B) given the character something to actually contribute to the plot besides antics and hijinx,
    and C) made the audience happy that he was dead and that it was done in the context of the story.

Re: Jar Jar...the Martyr

Originally posted by stillakid
    Jar Jar should not have lived past the end of TPM.

The motivation that allowed him to join the story in the first place was his life-debt to Qui Gon.

As written, Jar Jar did not live up to his promise and abandoned his "duty" when the glory of military promotion presented itself.

Instead, what should have happened was that Jar Jar should have gone with the primary heroes into the Palace. At some point in there, he should have thrown himself in the path of the Destroyer Droids so that the rest of the group could continue.

This would have
    A) fulfilled his obligation as set up earlier in the film,
    B) given the character something to actually contribute to the plot besides antics and hijinx,
    and C) made the audience happy that he was dead and that it was done in the context of the story.
    Yeah, but let's face it: no one, including Qui-Gon, took that life debt seriously. He even said, "That won't be necessary," and the only reason he brought it up in Otah Gunga was because he didn't want to leave Jar Jar to be executed (that is what Boss Nass meant, right? ). He felt sorry for him, because it was Obi and Qui's fault that Jar Jar had even gone back after being banished. How could Qui just "throw him to the wolves"? I know others would be capable of doing it, but they're Jedi. They hold a higher standard .

But I like Jar Jar, always have. He was comic relief, albeit annoying relief sometimes. He's stupid...that's what he's supposed to be, and there are enough stupid people in the world - many of which offer nothing to the story of our lives - so why can't the Star Wars universe have a complete and total idiot, too? At least Star Wars is just a movie and entertainment...

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

I like Jar Jar and thought he served his purpose in TPM, but shoulda had a larger role in AOTC. I think it was great what GL did with him in AOTC, but thought he should have had more screen time.