Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stargate Universe: who is watching this?

I'm curious who is watching this show, if they were a fan of the franchise beforehand, if they watched BSG or Lost beforehand, and what they think of Stargate Universe right now.

I must be frank, I have been with this show since the beginning and there hasn't been much I've liked about it. I stick with it hoping it'll get better and I like some of the actors, but it feels to me like it's stuck in a loop. They even made space aliens and spaceship battles boring in the last 2 weeks, that's really something unique to be able to claim. There's nothing Stargate about it in concept, in action, or in fun (of which this series has none). It feels like they just wanted another BSG with a cheaper cast and less sets, then wrap a little of Lost in for good measure. And ultimately, I find SGU to be a downer every episode, it's drab and unhappy and the score is torturously miserable at every moment, and the characters are dismal and somewhat generic.

But that's just 1 man's opinion, what about others?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't have anything to add. I loved the original movie, and found every incarnation of the TV show to be average at best, and gave up long ago.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm a fan of the Stargate franchise JT. Watched and enjoyed SG-1 and Atlantis (and Infinity was okay for what it was, though not perfect) Also watched quite a bit of LOST and some BSG (though I couldn't really get into BSG). Unfortunately I haven't watched SGU yet (since I only have access to basic television at the present), so I can't say much about it at this time. I do plan on seeing SGU eventually though, either when it hits "syndicated reruns" or by borrowing the DVD sets through the library. So I'll tell you exactly what I think of it when I get to see it.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I liked the original movie, and after the shaky first season, I really liked SG1 as well. Atlantis didn't work as smoothly for me, but it was fun and had "the SG feeling" even if it did get repetitive.

I am shocked to hear anybody liking Stargate Infinity, I found it unwatchable, I gave it 2 episodes and that was 2 too many for me. You must be pretty hardcore.

I haven't watched much Lost, I gave it a shot a couple times but it's just not my style. I did like BSG though.

LM, I was going to suggest you could watch SGU online, Hulu or Syfy.com, but they only have the last 6 episodes, which would leave you missing the first 5.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've pretty much been a fan of Stargate since seeing the movie for the first time, but for some reason I mostly ignored the series. I guess because it was a pain to keep up with since we didn't always have Showtime throughout the years, and I only saw a couple of episodes. I remember trying to watch an episode of Stargate Infinity early one morning, thinking it'd be like the show, but wasn't able to stand it. I didn't even finish the episode. I've thought about checking out an episode to see if I still react as badly, but the more I've looked into it, the more it seems wise to avoid it.

Anyways, throughout the years since I saw the couple of episodes on show time, bits of "The Torment of Tantalus" stayed with me as an interesting memory throughout all the years until around SG-1's seventh season. Siffy was showing large blocks of episodes regularly, so I tuned in one day and got fully hooked at that point. Thanks to the DVR and Siffy's marathons I had managed to watch 90% or so of the previous episodes by the time season 8 started. I was a definite fan at that point, and was excited that Atlantis was getting launched, although the first few episodes didn't impress me so I didn't really get into SGA until season 2.

I pretty much hate SG-1 season 10, and SGA seasons 4 & 5, though. They got so horribly indecisive, and repetitive, and just lazy. You could even tell the actors didn't seem to care as much, as their performances got more stale. Still, I was sad to see SG-1 end. SGA, I was only really sad to see go at that point because the last episodes were also plagued with the same usual repetition instead of actually doing something significant.

In regard to BSG, I watched the mini-series that launched it, but that was enough for me. I kept trying to tune in on occasion to see if I might enjoy an episode, but it just never seemed all that interesting. Especially when every seem to be doing their best to have the most stressed look, even when things were relatively calm. It always seemed like a horrible attempt to keep a tense tone, that just left you waiting for someone's vein to spontaneously pop. You could practically freeze frame any moment and apply the caption, "I'm here now and I want to kick your puppy because DRAMA!!!!!" I also didn't care for the literally dark atmosphere, just turn the freaking dimmers up a bit!

As for Lost, I've never watched that, but have occasionally poked my nose at conversations about it. The impression that I would get is that I would really hate it with the overly mysterious twists that they come up with, and then practically abandon. It was recently mentioned in an article that the writers have confirmed they won't be able to wrap up every single thing, which just sounds sloppy to me. Heroes has really killed my tolerance for mysterious arcs like that, only to not deliver.

So, this brings us to Stargate Universe. I was excited with the premise, but a bit disappointed that it was supposed to be "darker." Which, I took to mean they would attempt to lazily add lingering tension as they did in Atlantis, which never fit very well. I still don't really know how I feel about it. I wasn't very impressed with the season's first half of episodes, which felt like they weren't all that sure in how to set up the show, but they wanted LOTS OF DRAMA! to be in every episode. This was annoying just as it was in the BSG episodes I watched, since every scene felt like it had such pointless tension. I like that it died down a bit, and they explained it away somewhat by having the crew suffering from caffeine and nicotine withdrawals, but it still doesn't feel like they have completely gotten out of it. The latest episode was especially bad about that, with the ridiculous mutiny.

The whole civilian/military play for power was really overused on Atlantis, especially in the last couple of seasons, and really only done well during SG-1's prime. It's mildly understandable that the civilians don't like being pushed around by the military guys, but I find it ridiculous that it went to THAT extreme because everybody was already on a military base! If it had been a random group of civilians spontaneously abducted from Earth, including a handful of military personnel, then fine. That'd be about right to see so much tension about it, but the fact that they were already military-controlled because they were on a remote base seems that it should be business as usual. Granted, there were visitors that are trapped on Destiny that weren't assigned to the base, but still. There is really no reason for the others to care.

I still don't really have any care for any of the main characters. Colonel Young seems like he would have been an unrealistic choice to command a remote outpost with such importance. It's hard to buy him as any sort of authority figure after having someone like Colonel O'Neill be the star of the franchise for over a decade. Rush seems like the only character with any real depth, but I hate the continued overly mysterious use of him. Yeah, an unpredictable character is nice after SGA and SG-1 were plagued with repetition in their last seasons, but it's getting ludicrous. The more and more that he seems to be working for himself, it just adds more prominence to the question as to why he was picked to be the outpost's lead scientist? Why not Carter? Why not someone that was more compliant in actually showing their success rather than some tool that hid the most important details away until last minute? At this point, it feels like the only way he could have been assigned to the outpost is through blackmail.

The only other noteworthy ones are really Eli and Greer. Eli, however, continuously amazes that he even knows anything at all. They're overplaying the "THIS IS THE CHARACTER YOU IDENTIFY WITH" card too much, and making him too whiny or too much like he's begging for a pat on the head. As for Greer, I hated him at first because they seemed to exaggerate how much of a jerk he is, but it subsided slightly in the latest episodes. Occasionally I still get the feeling that he's about to kill everybody on the ship, though.

The rest of the cast are pretty plain, and most of the female characters seem to pretty much just be around for sexual tension.

Overall, I'm not impressed with the show. I know they wanted to distance it from the more light-hearted Stargate, but I think they don't really know when to stop distancing it. Considering how interwoven SG-1 and SGA were, it's really sad to see this show only pulling out the occasional bit of Stargate canon for a quick plot convenience, rather than really attempting to tie into the established mythos. I think it has lots of potential, but whether or not they're going to tap into it is hard to tell. I'll keep watching, though.

Oh, and they need to get rid of the stupid shaky cam! For kino-vision it's fine, but normal viewing? STEADY IT! Especially the views in space, why do those need to be shaky and use the stupid zoom-in effects? They haven't been doing chaotic BSG-esque battles, so it just comes off as an amateurish ripoff.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I am shocked to hear anybody liking Stargate Infinity, I found it unwatchable, I gave it 2 episodes and that was 2 too many for me. You must be pretty hardcore.
    I don't know if I'd flat out say that I "liked it". That might be a tad overstating it. I just stated that was okay for what it was (a Saturday morning kids cartoon). It wasn't a kids show that I would go out of my way to watch "new episodes" like I currently do/did for kids shows like Power Rangers & TMNT (2003 series), or even compared to the "live-action" adult aimed Stargate TV shows, but at least as an adult it was watchable enough (for a kids show) when compared to what else currently is/was on at the time. It was a Saturday morning kids shows that I could kill some passing time while waiting for my shows to start and not come out of it feeling like just got demoted back to grammar school.

I haven't watched much Lost, I gave it a shot a couple times but it's just not my style. I did like BSG though.
    I kind of had the reverse reaction.

LM, I was going to suggest you could watch SGU online, Hulu or Syfy.com, but they only have the last 6 episodes, which would leave you missing the first 5.
    Watching it online wouldn't be possible for me anyway. My internet connection is as antique as my TV connection. Modem internet access and only basic local digital channels. Once of those giant mobile phones with an antenna sticking out of it and 1990's here I come.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I've pretty much been a fan of Stargate since seeing the movie for the first time, but for some reason I mostly ignored the series. I guess because it was a pain to keep up with since we didn't always have Showtime throughout the years, and I only saw a couple of episodes.
    I was the same, it was only once SG1 hit syndication that I could even think of getting into it.

In regard to BSG, I watched the mini-series that launched it, but that was enough for me. I kept trying to tune in on occasion to see if I might enjoy an episode, but it just never seemed all that interesting.
    I definitely enjoyed the miniseries head and shoulders above the series. It was more than mere space battles and soap opera, it had more thought to the situations and tactics, and I always felt like the series wasn't aiming high enough because of that.

The whole civilian/military play for power was really overused on Atlantis, especially in the last couple of seasons, and really only done well during SG-1's prime. It's mildly understandable that the civilians don't like being pushed around by the military guys, but I find it ridiculous that it went to THAT extreme because everybody was already on a military base! If it had been a random group of civilians spontaneously abducted from Earth, including a handful of military personnel, then fine. That'd be about right to see so much tension about it, but the fact that they were already military-controlled because they were on a remote base seems that it should be business as usual. Granted, there were visitors that are trapped on Destiny that weren't assigned to the base, but still. There is really no reason for the others to care.
    Agreed.

I still don't really have any care for any of the main characters. Colonel Young seems like he would have been an unrealistic choice to command a remote outpost with such importance. It's hard to buy him as any sort of authority figure after having someone like Colonel O'Neill be the star of the franchise for over a decade. Rush seems like the only character with any real depth, but I hate the continued overly mysterious use of him. Yeah, an unpredictable character is nice after SGA and SG-1 were plagued with repetition in their last seasons, but it's getting ludicrous. The more and more that he seems to be working for himself, it just adds more prominence to the question as to why he was picked to be the outpost's lead scientist? Why not Carter? Why not someone that was more compliant in actually showing their success rather than some tool that hid the most important details away until last minute? At this point, it feels like the only way he could have been assigned to the outpost is through blackmail.
    Agreed.

The only other noteworthy ones are really Eli and Greer. Eli, however, continuously amazes that he even knows anything at all. They're overplaying the "THIS IS THE CHARACTER YOU IDENTIFY WITH" card too much, and making him too whiny or too much like he's begging for a pat on the head. As for Greer, I hated him at first because they seemed to exaggerate how much of a jerk he is, but it subsided slightly in the latest episodes. Occasionally I still get the feeling that he's about to kill everybody on the ship, though.
    HEAVILY agreed about Eli especially. Forced down our throats, that character always comes off pathetically pandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I don't know if I'd flat out say that I "liked it". That might be a tad overstating it. I just stated that was okay for what it was (a Saturday morning kids cartoon). It wasn't a kids show that I would go out of my way to watch "new episodes" like I currently do/did for kids shows like Power Rangers & TMNT (2003 series), or even compared to the "live-action" adult aimed Stargate TV shows, but at least as an adult it was watchable enough (for a kids show) when compared to what else currently is/was on at the time. It was a Saturday morning kids shows that I could kill some passing time while waiting for my shows to start and not come out of it feeling like just got demoted back to grammar school.
    Uh huh, backpedal, I see how it is.

Watching it online wouldn't be possible for me anyway. My internet connection is as antique as my TV connection. Modem internet access and only basic local digital channels. Once of those giant mobile phones with an antenna sticking out of it and 1990's here I come.
    Wow, dialup and broadcast channels only? How long ago did Ohio discover the wheel, 6 months?

Uh huh, backpedal, I see how it is.
    Backpedal, hardly.

Lets see which one you'd choose to watch if your only choice of shows to watch at a certain time were either That's So Raven, 3-2-1 Penguins, Saddle Club, Bratz or Stargate Infinity.

On a related note, if you ever get a chance (and its still on the air) you should check out Dragon on the Qubo kids block. Its intended audience is only "3 and under", but its funny as all hell with how the characters are all portrayed as "mentally challenged". The episode where Dragon "adopts" a stray cat into his house is particularly amusing. The cat urinates on everything. Add to it the fact that Dragon actually decides to sniff his feet after stepping in a "yellow" puddle only to declare that it stinks and you have an instant classic.

dialup and broadcast channels only? How long ago did Ohio discover the wheel, 6 months?
    1997, but it took another 13 years to perfect it to round circles. First they were square, then hexagons, followed by octagons. Finally got them round by 2008, but we had a minor setback in that they were oval. Next step is to convert them from stone to something more durable, like wood. And maybe someday rubber once we master it.

Lets see which one you'd choose to watch if your only choice of shows to watch at a certain time were either That's So Raven, 3-2-1 Penguins, Saddle Club, Bratz or Stargate Infinity.
    That's So Raven on mute while listening to a discman. Raven-Symone went from cute to hooooot. 'Course you're older than her and I, so I suppose that would've been creepy.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Backpedal, hardly.

Hmm, the choice of dog poop or cat poop is not exciting.

On a related note, if you ever get a chance (and its still on the air) you should check out Dragon on the Qubo kids block. Its intended audience is only "3 and under", but its funny as all hell with how the characters are all portrayed as "mentally challenged". The episode where Dragon "adopts" a stray cat into his house is particularly amusing. The cat urinates on everything. Add to it the fact that Dragon actually decides to sniff his feet after stepping in a "yellow" puddle only to declare that it stinks and you have an instant classic.
    Wow. Just wow.

1997, but it took another 13 years to perfect it to round circles. First they were square, then hexagons, followed by octagons. Finally got them round by 2008, but we had a minor setback in that they were oval. Next step is to convert them from stone to something more durable, like wood. And maybe someday rubber once we master it.
    Wait, isn't Ohio the original capital of making rubber tires? Akron shouldn't hoard that information from the rest of you.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    That's So Raven on mute while listening to a discman. Raven-Symone went from cute to hooooot. 'Course you're older than her and I, so I suppose that would've been creepy.
    What does "hooooot" mean here?