Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i've seen too many war movies....

.....i just got back from the emergency room, after sticking an exacto pen-knife in my thigh.

i was cutting some plastic off a GI Joe helmet, and the knife slipped and i ended up sticking it in my leg. i pulled it out and a stream of blood shot out about a foot. it didn't hurt at all, but the first thing that came to mind were scenes in Black Hawk Down and Band of Brothers which involved soldiers dying after having an artery severed in their leg. the blood shot out of my leg just like it did to those woulded soldiers. that scared me, so i said without even looking at the wound, i'm going to the hospital!!!

now my wound was no where near as bad as something suffered on the battlefield, but i was bleeding all over everything. after getting a little lightheaded(cause i'm a big sissy) i finally got the bleeding to stop, and luckily a friend was here to drive me to the doctor.

when the nurse cleaned all the blood off my leg, i was kinda embarrased because the wound wasn't big, but the doctor got to looking at it, and said it was "rather deep". long story short, i got some stitches, and a tetnus shot, but they jiped me out of a sucker!

moral to the story, don't cut GI Joe helmets with a knife while holding it on your leg.
    Last edited by derek; 12-29-2002 at 09:01 PM.

That reminds me of something I read:

A guy was cutting a GI Joe helmet with an Xacto knife and ended up cutting his thumb, right to the bone. Even today, when it's cold out, he can feel the flesh separating.

Hey Leatherneck, you read the black hawk down novel? it talks about a Navy SEAL called John ***, he was shot and the bullet hit his commando knife and shattered it and saved his life

Amongst the stupid things I did, I needed stitches for nearly cutting my finger tip off trying to make a custum Han Endor Shield Bunker way back in 1997.

The results?

1) When it was done, some of my SW friends asked "What's the difference?" to which I replied, "Han's got his vest on, but he has the yellow stripes on his pants!"

I'd used the knife or whatever tool I was using then to separate his body more, so I could get the molded arms in trench-coat sleeves off of him, and add back regular Han Solo arms. I think I had boiled water to get the old arms off, but was having trouble getting new ones ON without limiting articulation.

2) Five years and 7 or 8 stitches in the emergency room later, Hasbro has this action figure on the blue card in your local store, today, right now

I'm never buying that Han! I kept my custom and proudly display it in my Endor briefing scene!

I kept my finger, and I'm proudly using it to type this stupid post!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Well, you haven't lived until you have stepped on a hot charcoal barefoot......with both feet even.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
    Hey Leatherneck, you read the black hawk down novel? it talks about a Navy SEAL called John ***, he was shot and the bullet hit his commando knife and shattered it and saved his life
    Yes, I've read it. It's one of my favorite books and movies.

I got the We Were Soldiers Once and Young novel for Christmas, I saw that in a movie theater on a trip to New York City and thought it was intense and probably the best nam movie.
    I've got the DVD too, there's a good documentary on there.
    Full Metal Jacket is almost in a league of it's own though That movie is HARSH!!!
    Last edited by Darth Trymybestus; 12-29-2002 at 10:22 PM.

Derek,

Next time just apply a field dressing. If the bleeding continues then apply a pressure dressing. If the wound continues to bleed (you will probably die or loose a limb) apply a tourniquet. Evacuate the patient. DO NOT remove tourniquet under ANY circumstances.
    May the force be with you.

If you have a saw, you could play Civil War Hospital!

-or recreate the opening scene from Dances With Wolves.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Originally posted by Tycho
    If you have a saw, you could play Civil War Hospital!

-or recreate the opening scene from Dances With Wolves.
    Or do what I did when I cut my finger to the bone with a very sharp knife at work(Pizza Hut). Went up to the manager and asked if he had a ban-aid? He found it funny.
    Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.

19th century ad for Colt revolvers

Be wary of the man who only has one gun...for he probley knows how to
    use it.