Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Cloning: looks like they've really done it! Are there any RAELIANS Here?

Well, scientists subscribing to the Raelian religion have supposedly brought into this world the first human clone - with about 9 more on the way.

Raelians believe we were all created by space aliens, who made us in their own image (they were humans too - but really advanced ones).

Yayweh (spelling) the name the Hewbrews called God, was actually the leader of the Sollus-bound science expedition. That is why we called our creator that in the Old Testament. He's had some contact with us primative Earth People, though he may have now died a long time ago.

In any case, we are all clones, say the Raelians, so we are beginning to follow in our creator's footsteps, as we aspire to become closer to our creators.

What do you think? I hope my ancestors are on the Battlestar Galactica and one day they will come and find me. Or if Star Wars took place a long time ago, maybe I'm a descendant of Han Solo.

All this stuff could be real, and there was one Lord: Vader - and Lucas is his Prophet!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

well, DUH... everyone knows that!
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Well, cloning was a Pandora's box I was hoping to never see opened.

Cloneaid(the Raelians group), has yet to put forward any evidence that the baby is in fact, a clone. All they have done is say they have. Of course, all other scientists are saying they are full of it. But I am sure that is mostly because they are only a few weeks behind them, and would hate to see the first cloned human go to an "off the wall" group such as the Raelians.

Anyway, I doubt the Raelians have done it, considering they aren't very willing to prove it yet, but who knows, I've seen crazier things happen.

I think cloning humans for reproduction is a very bad idea. However, I am torn, because I think the idea of cloning limbs and organs for medical care is a good idea.

Anyway, have you seen the chick they supposedly cloned? Couldn't they have used Reese Witherspoon instead???
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

This world has population problems as it is, the last thing we need is to be manufacturing more mouths to feed. This is a bad idea, and the repercussions ( or possible repercussions) worry me a great deal.

I agree with you QLD about cloning organs, and I see the benefit there. However, cloning an entire person is a different thing altogether......

What if cloning becomes legal, and 50% of the population are clones. I can see the government banning certain films as Attack of the Clones, 6th Day, and other movies about cloning.

We're bringing clones into a society where they have already been shut out. It's not going to work.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    This world has population problems as it is, the last thing we need is to be manufacturing more mouths to feed. This is a bad idea, and the repercussions ( or possible repercussions) worry me a great deal.

I agree with you QLD about cloning organs, and I see the benefit there. However, cloning an entire person is a different thing altogether......
    Exactly.

No one, including Reece Witherspoon, is so irreplaceable that there needs to be clones.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

As long as women still have to physically birth these "clones", I don't see the big deal. When they start growing them in big Kamino-looking vats, then I'll worry. Especially if they look anything like that Raelian lady that held the press conference the other day. Yeesh.

Anyone got a picture of her, so you can see what I'm talking about?

As far as over-population is concerned - I'm very concerned that we do not make a global effort to reduce the human birth rate. All we can really hope to affect is the United States, and hopefully Mexico since they're our nearest neighbor with a growing population.

That being said, Cloning doesn't one way or another effect the birth rate if a mother would normally become pregnant by intention, anyway. Cloning will generally not help her carry more than one baby at a time. It still takes 9 months - we don't do it like the Kaminoans do it.

Just the same, if someone isn't garaunteed a pregnancy the natural way, it can raise the birthrate minutely.

Finally, if someone wouldn't decide to have another child because of their losing one, a clone of the child might encourage them otherwise.

It would be hard to even hypothesize what cloning would do to the world population. But until they can make them like you saw in Star Wars - over-population is no more a concern with cloning, than it is with the natural birthrate.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Thing is, you can't view these type of issues in the short term. The world did that with the atomic bomb, and look where that got us.

This is what I mean by "repercussions". No, right now, cloning would not effect over population in any serious way, and yes, we NEED to look at ways to hamper that problem now. But, 20 years from now, when they can ( possibly) make clones the star wars way, it becomes a problem. Oppenheimer and his band of scientific visionaries were full of zeal and drive in a short term sense. In the long run, oppenheimer spent his remaining years torn and guilt ridden by what he had done, and several other scientists responsible for the nuclear bomb spent their years trying to right the wrong they had created.........

Am I the only one who has absolutly no objections to human cloning?
    May the force be with you.