Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Queen Amidala's voice in TPM

On a nostalgic kick, I just watched the trailer for Episode I and noticed something strange. All of Padmé's lines in the trailer sound like they're in a higher pitch. I remember, when seeing TPM in theaters, that the "Get to your ships!" line sounded much different than in the trailer, but I never noticed the other differences. I wonder if they ended up lowering her voice for the film to make her sound more mature? Many of her lines as Padmé Naberrie sound much higher than as Queen Amidala, so that's what I'm thinking.

Just something I thought was interesting, really.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

The "Get to you ships" line bugs me in the flick. She sounds so bored and calm when she says it. The trailer version, where she yells it, sounds far better and makes more sense.
    Why wouldn't she be yelling it with all that commotion and blaster fire everywhere?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

As a last-minute choice, Lucas decided the queen and the handmaiden should sound different, so he had them pitch the Queen voice down to an unnatural and bizarre level. I remember in the theater hearing this after watching the trailer for months and being entirely puzzled by it (and right on the heels of Nute Gunray's ridiculous accent, not to mention the bizarre Radiant VII captain's asexual voice).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

We need a See & Say for the films (you choose an accent, pull the string, and hear: "The Neimoidian says... dey gone up da ventalation shahft" or "The Queen's bass voice says... no-body knows, the trouble I've seen" ).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    I've always been bugged by the "Get to your ships" line too. I noticed it when I saw it in theaters, and always wondered why it sounded different. Rarely do movies have the lines in the Trailer sound like they do in the movie... alot of time, I find the trailer's lines are out of context with the movie, so when you see the entire movie, you stop and think to yourself...now why did they include that in the trailer...that makes no sense.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

"Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

Not on topic, but I was sorta inspired by Bel-Cam's post. So, I was kinda hoping that Obi-Wan would look at Padme in ROTS and say "I don't knows nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miss Padme! I'm a-get you to a hospital on Polis Massa!"
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartner View Post
    Not on topic, but I was sorta inspired by Bel-Cam's post. So, I was kinda hoping that Obi-Wan would look at Padme in ROTS and say "I don't knows nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miss Padme! I'm a-get you to a hospital on Polis Massa!"
    That was a cut scene with Jar-Jar. Look for it... in 3-D coming to a theater near you!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

In hindsight, for as obnoxious as he was, Jar Jar was the only character in TPM with any emotion...thank the maker he wasn't in the hanger though...."RETREAT! RETREAT!" (stumbling over some droids and accidentally turning on some rockets that blow up Darth Maul as Jar Jar races towards the blaster doors with his floopy "ears?" covering his eyes)
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

When Senator Palpatine's hologram was cut off, she said "Senator Palpateen"

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    In hindsight, for as obnoxious as he was, Jar Jar was the only character in TPM with any emotion
    I'd argue that Liam Neeson also did a fine job as your namesake. His facial expressions alone were better than 99% of the acting in the prequels.
    Tommy, close your eyes.