Throw in your five best and worst that you have seen this year.
1) The Two Towers- LOTR is now the standard for epic genre filmaking. I really like the Prequel Trilogy, but this is a class above.
2) Signs- Although he may be overhyped, I do feel that M. Night is worthy of the label of filmaking genius. True. he does tend to crib from other directors, but at least he does it right, hence a "homage".
3) Insomnia- I thought Robin Williams deserves a best supporting actor nomination for this role. Far superior to the overhyped and tame One Hour Photo. Pacino does his usual schtick, but it plays off really well against Williams.
4) Auto Focus- Dafoe should also get a best supporting actor nomination for his role. An excellent character study with injections of great dark humor.
5) Barbershop- Endearing film that manages to be thought provoking without becoming an informercial for any type of socio-poltical agenda.
THE WORST (in no particular order)
Queen of the Damned
tie- XXX and One Hour Photo- both started pretty good in their own way but tanked in the last act.