Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best and Worst of 2002

Throw in your five best and worst that you have seen this year.

THE BEST:

1) The Two Towers- LOTR is now the standard for epic genre filmaking. I really like the Prequel Trilogy, but this is a class above.

2) Signs- Although he may be overhyped, I do feel that M. Night is worthy of the label of filmaking genius. True. he does tend to crib from other directors, but at least he does it right, hence a "homage".

3) Insomnia- I thought Robin Williams deserves a best supporting actor nomination for this role. Far superior to the overhyped and tame One Hour Photo. Pacino does his usual schtick, but it plays off really well against Williams.

4) Auto Focus- Dafoe should also get a best supporting actor nomination for his role. An excellent character study with injections of great dark humor.

5) Barbershop- Endearing film that manages to be thought provoking without becoming an informercial for any type of socio-poltical agenda.

THE WORST (in no particular order)

MIB2
    Queen of the Damned
    Scorpion King
    The Tuxedo
    tie- XXX and One Hour Photo- both started pretty good in their own way but tanked in the last act.

I don't know about five best/worst, but I can give you a couple.

Best:
    Catch Me If You Can
    Two Towers

Worst:
    Time Machine
    Windtalkers
    Powdered Toast Man!

i started watching windtalkers the other night on pay-per-view, and the opening battle scene was about as lame as they come. it looked like something i'd expect to see on walker, texas ranger or some hokey show like that. simply horrible.

O.K., i had to check box office mojo to recall this years films. i was suprised to find out i'd only seen 25 movies in 2002. a few years ago, i would go to about 3 films a week, at least.

My Favorites of 2002

1. Road to Perdition
    2. The Two Towers
    3. Count of Monte Cristo
    4. The Ring
    5. Red Dragon

Worst of 2002

1. Queen of the Damned
    2. The Tuxedo
    3. Jackass
    4. Collateral Damage
    5. Orange County

Biggest Disapointments of 2002

1. Attack of the Clones
    2. Signs
    3. Minority Report
    4. Goldmember
    5. Insomnia
    Last edited by derek; 12-31-2002 at 07:22 PM.

Yeah, to think that Windtalkers was a John Woo film, disgraceful. Hard believe that this guy was responisible for such great action films as The Killer and Hard Boiled. He really tanked when he came over to the US.

derek, The Count of Monte Cristo was released in 2001.
    still, leave it on your list because it was really cool indeed !

Originally posted by Caesar
    derek, The Count of Monte Cristo was released in 2001.
    still, leave it on your list because it was really cool indeed !
    but i saw it in 2002.
    was it released in late 2001?
    i was just going on box office mojos list of the top grossing 150 films of 2002, and since no film really blew me away, i had to check the list to refresh my memory.

The Best: (in no particular order)

My Big Fat Greek Wedding
    Lord of the Rings: Two Towers
    Harry Potter: And the Chamber of Secrets
    Punch Drunk Love
    Undercover Brother

The Worst: (in no particular order)
    XXX
    Men In Black 2
    Reign of Fire
    Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
    Jason X

As a side note, I know this movie came out in 2001, but I just saw it the other day. And I have to say, that MONKEYBONE, is without a doubt, one of the WORST movies I have ever had the displeasure of seeing.

Thank You.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

That's curious derek, I looked it up on IMDb and they also have it listed as 2002 . . . see, when I saw it I took notice of a pro football player who was there to see it too, and I don't think he lives here year round. However, maybe it was during the playoffs in January ? ? ?

I can't say for sure, but I was CERTAIN I saw it in November 2001.

Oh well, sorry for the confusion.

I didn't see many pix in 2002 but I will say that the best I saw the whole year was FOTR (yes, I know it was released in 2001, but I didn't see it til Jan.), followed closely by TTT. I would add MBFGW to my best list if I had a chance to see it. That looked like an original and funny movie.

The worst was Goldmember. I can't believe my bud talked me in to wasting a whole 2 hrs. of my life watching that tripe. Second would be MIIB; another waste of money. It would have been more entertaining if the producers made a two hour CSI episode instead. Third was the first half of AOTC. Only the second half makes the film worth watching.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I only saw 2 movie in the theater this year (which is 2 more than I usually see).

The best film was Lord of the Rings: Two Towers

The other film was Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, which was ok. But, technically, I suppose it was the worst film I saw in the theater this year

I'm kind of suprised no on has mentioned Spider-man yet.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".