Thread: Rip Off?

Angry Rip Off?

This week the English Newspaper, The Sunday People, had a review of the years movies and gave Star Wars the title of Sci-Fi movie of the year, but then just slagged it off, it said:

They took the love story from Titanic
    The city chase from blade runner
    The Arena scene from Gladiator
    And Ewan McGregors accent was terrible.

I think this is totally unfair because Gladiator was not released untill Episode II was in production, let alone written. I don't think that the love story was that much like Titanic, and I've never seen Blade Runner, so I can't say anything about that.

So what do you all think?
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

Apperantly they don't realize that love stories, city chases, arenas, all existed long before the movies that they tagged as Star Wars ripping things off. It's a bunch of BS as usual.

People always play the "Corsurant is the city from Fifth Element". Yet the design for the city, pre-dates the movie. Considering Lucas' love of old cinema, it's more likely an omage to "Metropolis".

I discussed this sort of thing with a friend of mine who's also a film fan not to long ago. Everything has been done before, it's almost impossible to really do anything new that can't be compared to somthing that has already been done.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Hey Ewan's accent was perfectly fine!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I've seen Blade Runner plenty of times and from what i remember, none of the chasing was so fast paced, acrobatic or high flying as star wars. The only similarity I can really see is that they both take place in a city.
    [FONT=comic sans ms]ok make me stop talking, it's not interesting anymore[/FONT]

Saying that the arena sequence is a Gladiator rip-off is just like those morons who claimed the podrace was a Ben-Hur ripoff. Gladiatorial combat and chariot races existed in ancient Rome for centuries before Ben-Hur's writer was even born.

That's like saying Saving Private Ryan is a ripoff of The Longest Day. Completely ignoring the fact that D-Day actually happened.

So I guess Pearl Harbor is a Tora!Tora!Tora! ripoff too huh?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

That's funny. It seems there are quite a few people on the "let's hate the Star Wars prequels" bandwagon, but yet they can't seem to stop talking about it, watching the DVD's, and buying the toy's & collectibles.

The person who wrote the article obviously has never seen Blade Runner. Nice try though!

Agreed mini-rock, it's like that quote in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back about that sort of thing. "This is a site populated by militant movie buffs sad, pathetic little bastards living in their parents basement downloading scripts and what they think is inside information about movies and actors they claim to despise yet can't stop discussing." By the way, love the quote from Lucas in your signature, Mini-Rock.

Edit: Had to drag up the actual quote.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 01-03-2003 at 04:22 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by Bobajames
    I've seen Blade Runner plenty of times and from what i remember, none of the chasing was so fast paced, acrobatic or high flying as star wars. The only similarity I can really see is that they both take place in a city.
    I think they must have been referring to the foot-chase through the bowels of Coruscant and into the club, since there was no air-chase in Blade Runner.

I still think the "5th Element" comparison is justified though in terms of cinematic style used in a similar setting.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I totaly agree with mini rock, although it should be, "lets all love Lord Of The Rings just to emphasise how much we hate star wars".
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008