Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 225

Thread: The Hobbit

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    The Hobbit

    Are the rumours that I have heard true? Is Peter Jackson planning on making The Hobbit as a prequal to The Lord Of The Rings?

    I would love to see it, would anyone else?
    "Giggety giggety!"

    Jek Porky 2008

  2. #2
    It's just rumblings now, nothing confirmed yet. But it's possible that it could happen. Especially after the huge success of both Fellowship and Towers. And the likely success of Return as well. I'm sure that Peter Jackson will want to take a while off though, before he actually delves into the world of Middle Earth again.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  3. #3
    i'd only want to see this made if the same actors play thier roles from FOTR. (bilbow, gandalf and gollum)

  4. #4
    They probably would keep the same actors Derek, especially since we saw Bilbo in the flashback to finding the ring at the start of Fellowship. They were able to make him easily look younger, just by pulling back the skin to smooth out his wrinkles.

    Ian McKellan can also easily be made to look a bit younger. Though I think Gandalf looks the same in the Hobbit as he does in LOTR's. And Gollum is CGI, so no need to worry about the actual actor aging.

    MTFBWY and HH!!

    Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  5. #5
    Because I've never read any of the books, I don't know anything about them. Are The Hobbit and The Lord Of the Rings the only books centered around the Baggins' family, and Gandalf? Or do they appear in more books. Do you think we'll see any more films made from the other books?

    PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

  6. #6
    Pendo!- The hobbit isn't really centered on the Baggins family persay, but Bilbo is tapped to help take out the evil dragon, Smaug. Gandalf kinda, i don't wanna say forces him into it, but convinces him to do it. It's kinda like another Fellowship, cause Bilbo has many companions on his journey. You kinda hear him talk about it a bit in the film FOTR where he says he wants to see mountains and see Murkwood (sp?) and stuff. It's in the Hobbit where the Elves give him Sting and hence why Gollum would recognize it. He even tells the hobbit children a story at this party.

    It just kinda happens he stumbles upon Gollum in his cave and beats him in a game of riddles and finds the ring. Bilbo uses the ring a few times in the book to take enemies out though.

    This is just from my memory of reading the book a few years back in high school. If anybody has any more details or corrections, lemme know. cheers!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    Pendo!- The hobbit isn't really centered on the Baggins family persay, but Bilbo is tapped to help take out the evil dragon, Smaug. Gandalf kinda, i don't wanna say forces him into it, but convinces him to do it. It's kinda like another Fellowship, cause Bilbo has many companions on his journey. You kinda hear him talk about it a bit in the film FOTR where he says he wants to see mountains and see [Mirkwood] and stuff. It's in the Hobbit where the Elves give him Sting and hence why Gollum would recognize it. He even tells the hobbit children a story at this party.

    It just kinda happens he stumbles upon Gollum in his cave and beats him in a game of riddles and finds the ring. Bilbo uses the ring a few times in the book to take enemies out though.

    This is just from my memory of reading the book a few years back in high school. If anybody has any more details or corrections, lemme know. cheers!
    You forgot about the Mithril shirt that saves Frodo's life during the Cave Troll battle in Fellowship having been given to Bilbo by the dwarves at the end of Hobbit, as well as the appearance of the petrified remains of the three troll brothers in the background of Fellowship just before Aragorn and the Hobbits arrive at Weathertop. Oops - and also the appearance of Smaug (however implied) in firework form during the 'long expected party".

    Quote Originally Posted by Madalorian Candidat
    However, I would replace Ian Holm for Bilbo with Elijah Wood. It would make sense. IH just doesn't look that young to me in the FOTR prologue and I don't think he'd be believable doing all the action he'd be required to do for the Hobbit.
    An interesting idea, but that would hardly be accurate - Bilbo was 51 years old during The Hobbit, and Hobbit's tend to age (normally) about the same as humans (regular ones, that is - as opposed to Numenoreans). That would make Elijah Wood about 25 or so years too young for the role. I'm really hopin' that if it comes to pass, that Ian Holm would reprise his role as Bilbo.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord Returns
    Does Aragorn appear in the book? My gut says no, as I don;t even think he was born when Bilbo got hold of the ring.....but...it's all fuzzy.
    Aragorn is actually 90 years old (Tolkien states that he is 210 years old when he dies - working back from his age at the date of his death to the date of the War of the Ring gives us this info) as we see him in the LOTR film series. Unfortunatly, he had had no dealings with the Baggins family during the story presented in The Hobbit. In fact, he may even have been serving the royal family of either Rohan or Gondor under the alias of Thorongil at this time.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RooJay
    An interesting idea, but that would hardly be accurate - Bilbo was 51 years old during The Hobbit, and Hobbit's tend to age (normally) about the same as humans (regular ones, that is - as opposed to Numenoreans). That would make Elijah Wood about 25 or so years too young for the role. I'm really hopin' that if it comes to pass, that Ian Holm would reprise his role as Bilbo.
    But Holm looks much too old to play Bilbo at the younger age. Who's to say that Hobbits don't look similar in age to Frodo in LOTR when they're in their fifties? Holm was perfect for an older Bilbo in LOTR, no doubt about it. However, I can't see him doing the action he'd have to do for The Hobbit like fighting the Mirkwood spiders. On the other hand it would be interesting to see him verbally sparring with Gollum...

    If PJ takes the reins on this project, I'm sure the casting will turn out OK.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

    "Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

  9. #9
    Imigosh!!! That's fantastic news!!!
    For years I'd read that the Hobbit would never be made into a movie because the rights were so hotly disputed.
    What a great story it is. Beorn, goblins, giant spiders, a dragon, and an army of dwarves at the end!!! I must be dreaming.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    But Holm looks much too old to play Bilbo at the younger age. Who's to say that Hobbits don't look similar in age to Frodo in LOTR when they're in their fifties? Holm was perfect for an older Bilbo in LOTR, no doubt about it. However, I can't see him doing the action he'd have to do for The Hobbit like fighting the Mirkwood spiders. On the other hand it would be interesting to see him verbally sparring with Gollum...
    In LOTR, I believe Frodo was in his mid-forties before he started his journey (it's been a while since I read the books though), so if Elijah Wood can play Frodo at that age, it would probably be age-appropriate to cast him as Bilbo in "The Hobbit". Personally though, I loved Ian Holm as Bilbo, and would be happy to see him reprise the role.
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO