Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Some new news about the potential Prequel to the LOTR Trilogy have surfaced. The rights issues that prevented 'The Hobbit' from being made in the first place have been worked out. New Line now owns the rights to produce the film. Now the only question is whether or not P.J. still wants to do it. The info is from 'The Green Dragon: Middle-Earth Collectible Heaven' website.
    In the News: HUGE Small Little Tidbit of Hobbit News

Today we learned something that should not come to a surprise to anyone who has ever visited this site or any other Lord of the Rings collector /movie site. As most of you know (or don't) Peter Jackson intended to make The Hobbit FIRST, but both he and New Line ran into difficulty with licensing issues. PJ plainly stated this in the most recent Fan Club interview. To avoid dragging it out, they decided to pursue the trilogy instead...and I bet we are all glad they did! Now for the new news...according to sources that I WILL NOT name under penalty of death, New Line has worked out the licensing issues for The Hobbit and now OWNS THE RIGHTS. In other words, they will more than likely be making The Hobbit sometime in the near future. As far as Peter Jackson's being director...unknown at this point, but he definitely wants to be involved (director or producer?). Stay tuned for more details as we learn more.

SPECIAL NOTE: Neither Toybiz, nor any other licenses collectible producer for the New Line Movies has rights to The Hobbit...so it will be ANOTHER bidding war for toys, and collectibles alike if The Hobbit comes to pass. Hope and pray that Toybiz, Sideshow, Play Along, etc. retain the licenses and we get the appropriate scale figures/toys from The Hobbit to go along with their trilogy line. Lets just hope we get a Deluxe SMAUG!
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

that's good news jar jar! i knew this movie would get made, as the LOTR trilogy has made way to much money for some studio to pass up this movie.

i just hope sideshow makes the 12 inch figures. toy biz makes a nice 6 inch figure, but they stink in the 12 inch departmant.

That's great new! I was pretty sure something would get worked out eventually, but the sooner the better, as I'd like to see all the original actors in the same roles.

BTW- has anyone seen the fan made Trailer for the Hobbit? It's pretty darn good. A friend of mine was convinced it was real.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Great news! Now let the debate continue on who should be cast in this flick.

I still say Elijah Wood should play Bilbo and IMK as Gandalf with Serkis as Gollum.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    Pendo!- The hobbit isn't really centered on the Baggins family persay, but Bilbo is tapped to help take out the evil dragon, Smaug. Gandalf kinda, i don't wanna say forces him into it, but convinces him to do it. It's kinda like another Fellowship, cause Bilbo has many companions on his journey. You kinda hear him talk about it a bit in the film FOTR where he says he wants to see mountains and see [Mirkwood] and stuff. It's in the Hobbit where the Elves give him Sting and hence why Gollum would recognize it. He even tells the hobbit children a story at this party.

It just kinda happens he stumbles upon Gollum in his cave and beats him in a game of riddles and finds the ring. Bilbo uses the ring a few times in the book to take enemies out though.

This is just from my memory of reading the book a few years back in high school. If anybody has any more details or corrections, lemme know. cheers!
    You forgot about the Mithril shirt that saves Frodo's life during the Cave Troll battle in Fellowship having been given to Bilbo by the dwarves at the end of Hobbit, as well as the appearance of the petrified remains of the three troll brothers in the background of Fellowship just before Aragorn and the Hobbits arrive at Weathertop. Oops - and also the appearance of Smaug (however implied) in firework form during the 'long expected party".

Quote Originally Posted by Madalorian Candidat
    However, I would replace Ian Holm for Bilbo with Elijah Wood. It would make sense. IH just doesn't look that young to me in the FOTR prologue and I don't think he'd be believable doing all the action he'd be required to do for the Hobbit.
    An interesting idea, but that would hardly be accurate - Bilbo was 51 years old during The Hobbit, and Hobbit's tend to age (normally) about the same as humans (regular ones, that is - as opposed to Numenoreans). That would make Elijah Wood about 25 or so years too young for the role. I'm really hopin' that if it comes to pass, that Ian Holm would reprise his role as Bilbo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord Returns
    Does Aragorn appear in the book? My gut says no, as I don;t even think he was born when Bilbo got hold of the ring.....but...it's all fuzzy.
    Aragorn is actually 90 years old (Tolkien states that he is 210 years old when he dies - working back from his age at the date of his death to the date of the War of the Ring gives us this info) as we see him in the LOTR film series. Unfortunatly, he had had no dealings with the Baggins family during the story presented in The Hobbit. In fact, he may even have been serving the royal family of either Rohan or Gondor under the alias of Thorongil at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay
    An interesting idea, but that would hardly be accurate - Bilbo was 51 years old during The Hobbit, and Hobbit's tend to age (normally) about the same as humans (regular ones, that is - as opposed to Numenoreans). That would make Elijah Wood about 25 or so years too young for the role. I'm really hopin' that if it comes to pass, that Ian Holm would reprise his role as Bilbo.
    But Holm looks much too old to play Bilbo at the younger age. Who's to say that Hobbits don't look similar in age to Frodo in LOTR when they're in their fifties? Holm was perfect for an older Bilbo in LOTR, no doubt about it. However, I can't see him doing the action he'd have to do for The Hobbit like fighting the Mirkwood spiders. On the other hand it would be interesting to see him verbally sparring with Gollum...

If PJ takes the reins on this project, I'm sure the casting will turn out OK.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Imigosh!!! That's fantastic news!!!
    For years I'd read that the Hobbit would never be made into a movie because the rights were so hotly disputed.
    What a great story it is. Beorn, goblins, giant spiders, a dragon, and an army of dwarves at the end!!! I must be dreaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    But Holm looks much too old to play Bilbo at the younger age. Who's to say that Hobbits don't look similar in age to Frodo in LOTR when they're in their fifties? Holm was perfect for an older Bilbo in LOTR, no doubt about it. However, I can't see him doing the action he'd have to do for The Hobbit like fighting the Mirkwood spiders. On the other hand it would be interesting to see him verbally sparring with Gollum...
    In LOTR, I believe Frodo was in his mid-forties before he started his journey (it's been a while since I read the books though), so if Elijah Wood can play Frodo at that age, it would probably be age-appropriate to cast him as Bilbo in "The Hobbit". Personally though, I loved Ian Holm as Bilbo, and would be happy to see him reprise the role.
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

Check this link out:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=40294

That's the latest.

I actually haven't brought myself to read The Hobbit (though the characters seem infinitely less annoying than Tom Bombadil), but despite slight changes to the first book and some rather major changes to the second book I've loved the movies so far, and I'm looking forward to third and final movie like I was awaiting Episode I all those years ago.

For my money, though, I'm one of those who thinks The Silmarillion includes some of the coolest stuff Tolkien ever created. I would be insane with anticipation to see Glorfindel and Ecthelion fighting balrogs during the fall of Gondolin, the sons of Fëanor mercilessly holding to their oath to obtain the Silmarils, and of course Beren and Lúthien's story. It would also be extremely cool to see the events of the Akallabęth, the fall of Númenor, from which Aragorn's direct ancestors escaped.

Actually, I'm such a fan of history (even fictional histories), I'd love to see the early events of the Third Age played out on screen. The fall of Arnor via wars with the Witch-king Angmar, Osgiliath in its prime, and many other things covered in the appendices of The Return of the King would be great to see.

But on my original point of The Hobbit: I'd definitely be interested in seeing this project actually happen, even if I never read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by RooJay
    Aragorn is actually 90 years old (Tolkien states that he is 210 years old when he dies - working back from his age at the date of his death to the date of the War of the Ring gives us this info) as we see him in the LOTR film series. Unfortunatly, he had had no dealings with the Baggins family during the story presented in The Hobbit. In fact, he may even have been serving the royal family of either Rohan or Gondor under the alias of Thorongil at this time.
    Third Age 2931 is when Aragorn was born; Third Age 2941 is the year at the beginning of The Hobbit, so he was ten during that time (the Ring is destroyed in 3019 when Aragorn was 88). Third Age 2957 is when Aragorn, as Thorongil, begins serving King Thengel of Rohan, and the next year I find for him is Third Age 2980 when he stops serving in Gondor. So in 2941, during The Hobbit, I imagine a very young Aragorn was living in Rivendell with his mother. However since Rivendell is between the Shire and Mirkwood, I would almost bet a movie from Newline and Peter Jackson would show the young Aragorn. I had no idea when The Hobbit took place nor when the years of Aragorn's service to Rohan and Gondor took place prior to this reply, though.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

i assume the hobbit will be one stand-alone film and they will end up having to leave so much out of it, just as they have with the lord of the rings trilogy, which i personally have found disappointing, the biggest crime being that they are not going to the end of the third book and the hobbits return to the shire.

and i think the silmarillion would be a disaster if they tried to make that for either big or small screen. it is such a convoluted work and covers such a vast timescale i think many people would be confused and lose interest.