Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Right on, Phantom-like, about the Silmarillion!

The Silmarillion & Unfinished Tales have some of Tolkien's most amazing works. I believe you forgot to mention the Narn I Hin Hurin (tale of the children of hurin) which is complemented by The Tale of Turambar in Unfinished Tales. What a tragic tale that was! Years ago, I always thought that story would be perfect to make into a great movie.

But yeah, it would be impossible to do a movie of the entire book.

I would like to see a series of movies that tells of Sauron's origins.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Gandalf, Elrond, and Gollum would have to be the same actors. Bilbo should be, too.

There should be material brought in from other Tolkien works to explain the context, as with the LOTR movies.

It should be very clear to "unread" viewers that the Necromancer is Sauron.

Arwen, Saruman, and Legolas could easily make cameos, and Aragorn wouldn't be pushing it too much, either.

The dude who played Hagrid (name escapes me) could play Beorn. Beorn has to be there because (altogether now) bears make everything better!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Gandalf, Elrond, and Gollum would have to be the same actors. Bilbo should be, too.

There should be material brought in from other Tolkien works to explain the context, as with the LOTR movies.

It should be very clear to "unread" viewers that the Necromancer is Sauron.

Arwen, Saruman, and Legolas could easily make cameos, and Aragorn wouldn't be pushing it too much, either.

The dude who played Hagrid (name escapes me) could play Beorn. Beorn has to be there because (altogether now) bears make everything better!
    Legolas wouldn't be too much of a stretch since he is from Mirkwood and Thranduil (who makes an appearance in The Hobbit) is his dad. Arwen...I don't know. She's supposed to be in Lorien with Galadriel during this time I believe. Saruman has no place in this story. It would be like a cheesy celebrity cameo on a 70's show like Fred Astaire on Battlestar Galactica.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Actually, Gandalf meets up with all the other Wizards to go fight the Necromancer, so having Saruman show up wouldn't bee too far fetched.

I always thought James Earl Jones would make a good Beorn. And Sean Connery as the Dane.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Padawan
    Actually, Gandalf meets up with all the other Wizards to go fight the Necromancer, so having Saruman show up wouldn't bee too far fetched.

I always thought James Earl Jones would make a good Beorn. And Sean Connery as the Dane.
    Having Saruman show up in the Hobbit wouldn't work at all unless they did show a minor scene with the five wizards going off to Dol Guldur. However, I don't see it happenning unless PJ does it and tries to tie Bilbo's adventure closer to the background of LotR.

LOL about JEJ as Beorn! I picture him reprising his role as the baddie in Conan the Barbarian with all that funky fur.

As for Sean Connery...it would only work for me if he could slip in the word "Pooooshy."
    Last edited by Mandalorian Candidat; 12-12-2003 at 10:00 AM.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I was going to say that about Saruman, but EP beat me to it.

Jackson has a tendency to show where Tolkien tells. Like the fight between Gandalf and Saruman. Didn't actually happen in the book. (Well, he tells about it later, but we don't see it.) Just a change that better fits the media of film.

Since the scene in which Gandalf tells Bilbo (or was it Frodo) that the Necromancer turned out to be Sauron wasn't in the movie, it would be necessary to put something in a Hobbit film to make that connection in the minds of viewers who haven't read the books, and a scene with Gandalf, Saruman, Merlin, Dumbledore, and Willard the Wizard might do it.

Y'know, unless he was planning LOTR when he wrote Hobbit (and I'm not sure about that), Tolkien majorly copped out when he sent Gandalf against "The Necromancer" for half the book.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

More news on the 'The Hobbit' project. Ian McKellen sounds ready to go, if it gets made. Since he prefers Gandalf the Grey, to Gandalf the White. The news comes via Dark Horizons.
    McKellan appeared yesterday on the UK's Richard &Judy chat show where he was asked about the persisting rumours that New Line is planning to go ahead with the prequel to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy now its finally over.

McKellan seemed more upbeat and forthcoming than expected: "There is currently a situation where two companies own the rights, but when that's sorted out Peter (Jackson) and I will sit and talk it over. We've mentioned it recently and Peter is looking forward to getting it into production...It won't be long until I have to put on that blue hat again and become Gandalf - Gandalf The Grey that is!". The actor joked about his Gandalf the White being "a stick in the mud".
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Jackson Wants To Make Hobbit; Legal Issues

Apparently Peter Jakson is up for making the Hobbit with the original cast returning. It sounds like he feels it is his project and doesn't want anyone else mucking it up. The difficulty at the moment is between MGM and Newline. New Line has the right to make the film, while MGM has distribution rights. Click the link for the full article.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040306/D814VP480.html
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

The only thing I feel is that would THE HOBBIT story would not fit one movie. It would have to fit a couple installments of film or three!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!