Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

Maybe they should get Burton to direct?

Then it could star Jonny Depp and Pee Wee Herman!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'd have to burst New Lines bubble, but a movie of "The hobbit" without the support of PJ and his people, will bomb, hard. MGM has stated that they want PJ on the project and since both MGM and New Line are involved in this discussion, this is far from over. With PJ, you'll get same love and respect of the material and not to mention that you have a better chance of McKellan and Holm to come back and reprise their characters. Banishing PJ would be one assinine mistake. So, yeah, this probably has no end in sight, sadly.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

The Hobbit kind of needs to be made soon if they plan to use Ian McKellan and Ian Holm, otherwise they are going to look too old compared to how they appeared at the beginning of Fellowship.

So if this gets delayed too long, then they'll have to start looking for new actors. Plus I think the two Ian's (not to mention Andy Serkis) would be more loyal to Peter Jackson than some New Line executive, so they would likely bow out of the project if Jackson gets banned.

Didn't Jackson also help create WETA? So would they be out of the project too?

"To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I dont know. Looks like PJ might be a one-film-wonder.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn View Post
    I dont know. Looks like PJ might be a one-film-wonder.
    Last time I checked wasn't LOTR three-films? Maybe he's just a one-saga wonder.

I wasn't really all that thrilled with King Kong, although my brother things it's just one of the best movies ever. He's thinks Peter Jackson could become the next George Lucas. I just say, "Let's hope not!" I like Peter Jackson too much to wish that upon him.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I think Peter Jackson is already the next George Lucas.

He has one incredible trilogy under his belt. And he's surrounded himself by sycophants and yes-men. Look at King Kong. It wasn't bad, but it needed some serious editing--maybe as much as a half hour. And, yet, no one seems to have said, "Uh, Peter, maybe releasing a longer version isn't a good idea."

If the circumstances surrounding King Kong and the extended cut of King Kong don't scream "Star Wars Prequels!" then I don't know what does.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Well, for one thing though. If George Lucas would have done three hour episodes of the Prequels, we wouldn't have this shortage of characters to make action figures out of. We wouldn't have to make up one more clone from the Umpteenth Battalion
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

He has one incredible trilogy under his belt. And he's surrounded himself by sycophants and yes-men. Look at King Kong. It wasn't bad, but it needed some serious editing--maybe as much as a half hour. And, yet, no one seems to have said, "Uh, Peter, maybe releasing a longer version isn't a good idea."

If the circumstances surrounding King Kong and the extended cut of King Kong don't scream "Star Wars Prequels!" then I don't know what does.

I concur with this statement totally. You took the words right off my keyboard. It was way too long, needed to be edited down by at least 30-45 minutes. What hey should have done was cut a bunch of s**t out and put in some other stuff if you wanted a 3 hour movie. I still wanna know how they got his fat a55 on the boat?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post

I watched King Kong for the first time on DVD, and I got a phone call about ten minutes into the movie and talked on the phone for over 45 minutes, when I got off the phone, I just continued watching the movie and it was like I hadn't missed anything. That entire first hour was completely unnecessary.

I couldn't really figure out what was up with the visual effects either. Were they supposed to look like crap? Was that an artistic choice? I'm talking mainly about the dinosaur stampede scene, it was comically bad.

So I was less than impressed with King Kong. Some great action sequences and some memorable scenes, not much of a story though.

Unfortunately, it seems that when directors experience a certain amount of success, they tend to just indulge their whims without really considering if it is a good idea.