Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will we see a Jedi Holocaust? Concentration Camps?

You know, Lucas loves to preach. Here he has a chance to mass educate about the Holocaust, like Spielberg did - and the two are buddies. If "Joe growing up in Arkansas" doesn't know, care, or empathize with the Jewish Holocaust (or Bosnia, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq...etc but mostly the Jewish Concentration Camps), when they are the Jedi being mass murdered (hero characters we've come to love) it will bring out the desired empathy and understanding. With religion and immaculate conception (which didn't happen but was likley a set-up), Lucas can't keep from preaching.

Personally, I like it. It does make you reflect. And it's intelligent writing.

The Sith vs. Republic is an age old debate about the kind of most effective government, violently played out.

Well, I opened up a can 'o worms for something to talk about.

Re: Will we see a Jedi Holocaust? Concentration Camps?

Originally posted by Tycho
    If "Joe growing up in Arkansas" doesn't know, care, or empathize with the Jewish Holocaust (or Bosnia, Palestine, Afghanistan, Iraq...etc but mostly the Jewish Concentration Camps), when they are the Jedi being mass murdered (hero characters we've come to love) it will bring out the desired empathy and understanding. With religion and immaculate conception (which didn't happen but was likley a set-up), Lucas can't keep from preaching.

Well, Fulit growing up in Arkansas has been aware of it since 2nd grade. (Off the subject, why does everyone always connotate Arkansas with ignorance? I hear there's hillbillies in West Virginia too. ) I don't think anyone in this state or any other needs a Star Wars movie to teach us about such things, and I sincerely hope Lucas doesn't choose such a route, as it's a bad idea on many levels. I'm with the mindset of a lot of SW fans that think the Jedi violence will probably be more implied than anything.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

I agree... I doubt well see a holocaust situation in Episode III. I think that Episode II will badly damage the Jedi ranks and Palpatine will use the CloneTroopers with Count Dooku (and later Darth Vader) will hunt down the last remaining Jedi's.
    The Force is strong with this one.

Of course, that's my opinion I could be wrong.

First, of course I didn't mean to imply that people in Arkansas were ignorant.

Next, I did not mean we'd see a showing of violence, like mass executions. We're seeing plenty of violence as it is:

Maul being cut in half, Qui-Gon impaled.

Jango being beheaded by Mace, Jedi falling in battle.

Finally, Obi-Wan permanently maiming Anakin.

But this sort of violence is curiously different from the sort of killing you see in Schindler's List: civilians lined up against a wall and shot. Now Leia was shot in ROTJ, but it was in the line of combat. This is looked upon as different. Or else why cut out Anakin slaying Tusken women and children?

What I was getting at, was that I think some Jedi will be pacifists, and they will be carted off for execution. Showing that, not necessary the actual executions, might evoke the emotion one should feel when seeing this happen to the Jedi, and knowing this is wrong.

By the way, I think Palpatine has this set up so the mass populace wants to lynch all the Jedi. Making the Republic's citizens believe that the Jedi were the ones that started this, or let it happen, and they also wronged the Sith, hence why Vader can later rule openly as the Dark Lord of the Sith. But if you read the New Jedi Order books, they are following the same theme. The Yuuzhan Vong promise to halt their invasion if the New Republic turns over all their Jedi to them.

It's a wrongful judgement laid upon a group of people who are different from you, and the extinction of the Jedi Knights is the wrong that will come (in the Prequels at least).

Finally, in the Teaser Trailer, we saw Obi-Wan, captured and held prisoner in some kind of energy device designed to contain a Jedi. Dark Empire comic books showed Dungeon Ships they used to use to cart Jedi off for execution. While dark, I think this is a cool concept used to illustrate this great mass execution. I know that this energy device used to contain Jedi is portable, else how does Dooku move Obi-Wan to the arena to feed him to the Reek in the end battle? (on Geonosis).

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Lucas did this, as he did borrow a lot of concept from the 3rd reich for Star Wars' empire, but I don't think it'll happen since getting a bunch of Jedi together in one place will probably just make them stronger. No, it'd be better for the pace of the film AND for logic's sake if Palpatine's empire simply cut down each Jedi as soon as they found them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I don't think you'll ever see the Jedi Purge on the big screen. It happened after the twins are born which doesn't happen til the end of the film. I think it's best if the Purge is implied, rather than shown. It might be melodramatic and somber to see some fleeting images of Jedi being turned in by common citzens or rounded up into transports for extermination. But I don't think it'll happen on screen.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Please give an example of "Lucas loves to preach."
    All your base are belong to us!

Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
    Please give an example of "Lucas loves to preach."
    Yeah, I'm having some trouble grasping that one myself.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Both a holocaust situation is a bit to far, aspecially for Star Wars.
    The Force is strong with this one.

Of course, that's my opinion I could be wrong.

Re: Re: Will we see a Jedi Holocaust? Concentration Camps?

Originally posted by Fulit

I hear there's hillbillies in West Virginia too.
    Oh, there are most DEFINITELY hillbillies in WV.....

they're the home, ORIGIN of Hillbillies.....

I've met families, here in the 21st CENTURY that have never seen, let alone USED a telephone......no lie.......
    "You will shed tears of crimson"-Vicious (Cowboy Bebop)

YOU MADE IT HAPPEN!!! THANKS FOR VOTING CONCEPT STORMIE!!!