Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish View Post
    Seeing as how the Wii version of this game seems to eat up at least a few minutes of every day, I'm gonna bump this thread and ask... anyone else still given up their life to Animal Crossing?
    Haven't played either the DS or Wii games (although one of my younger brothers has the DS one). I'd like to maybe someday, but I'm a bit hesitant to get into it with the limited & one time "online/Toys"R"Us kiosk download" items that were introduced to both games. Also one of my bigger turnoffs for Pokemon games (with the likes of Mew, Celebi, etc.).

I like having the ability to "collect everything" without having the pressure of knowing that if I don't go online or visit a particular store/promo within a limited time span that those items become almost impossible to get without either a cheat device and/or an online trade partner. This applies even more so to the Wii version since those "online exclusive items" aren't preprogrammed into the game to find with a cheat device if you do miss them.

As for the GCN version... I haven't played the GCN version in probably a little over a year now. But that has more to do with the fact that I have beaten/completed 100% of that game. At least 100% of what is humanly possible without a cheat device. I managed to get several e-Reader cards and make special memory card "train travel" trades with people personally from other GCN towns to get all 15 station models. Through Guyute's help I was able to obtain the e-Reader cards for the e-Reader exclusive NES games (Ice Climber & Mario Bros.). I also (thanks to Animal Crossing's passcode system being "universal" despite the game's release region) was able to get the NES game Punch-Out!! (never made available in the US), as well as Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and CluClu Land D thanks to contest codes from Nintendo's UK Animal Crossing website (much like how I got a contest code for Soccer from Nintendo's US Animal Crossing website). I even managed (after nearly 1 1/2 years of buyng 500,000+ bells on turnips and selling them on the stock market on an "every week" basis) to save the 999,999,999 bells needed to get the post model.

Only thing I'm missing from the GCN game now are the 2 "non-catalog/cheat device only" NES games (The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros.) & the 8 "removed/non-catalog" shirts (plum kimono, blue sweatsuit, etc.) that are impossible to get without a cheat device or by hacking the Nook trade passcodes.

Oh, and my physical set of eReader cards for the GCN game are no where near being complete if anyone is wondering about those.
    Last edited by Lord Malakite; 04-02-2010 at 04:02 AM.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Have played all of them, and currently playing City Folk. Just restarted my town.
    Maybe we're all insane! - Broken Iris

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I even managed (after nearly 1 1/2 years of buyng 500,000+ bells on turnips and selling them on the stock market on an "every week" basis) to save the 999,999,999 bells needed to get the post model.
    Uh... errr... I enjoy making the animals say dirty words.

But seriously, I don't know what it is about this game. It's so mundane, and yet I feel the need to sign in to see if I've got mail, or check to see what c**p Nook has for sale pretty much every day.
    plasticfetish.net

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish View Post
    Uh... errr... I enjoy making the animals say dirty words.
    Yeah, thats fun too. I just simply ran out of things (aka accomplishments/goals) to do in the game.

Can't say I didn't get my money's worth out of it though. Got the game for Christmas 2003 as a "Player's Choice" title (which made it only $30). I must have played it practically every day of every week from that day on up until late 2008 or early 2009 when I finally got the post model the legit "save 999,999,999 bells at the Post Office" way, which also got me my final "purple catalog star" at Nook's. Certainly a lot more time spent on this one game than in many others from recent years.

Aside from my main character being 100% complete (all "purple star" catalog, completed every "personal" task possible, attended every holiday/event possible), my town (in the general sense) is also 100% complete. Every fruit tree grows in my town, the Museum has all its donated items, Nook's place is is upgraded to Nookington's, all 4 houses are 100% upgraded (with their butterfly plaque & fish weather vane) and all 4 statues (gold/silver/bronze/jade) are present.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Animal Crossing is almost like real world.The difference is that this game is in cartoon form other than that it's almost same like that, you can plant flowers,learn about culture,beauty treatment and many more such things.
    [url=http://www.r4-ds-karte.ch]acekard[/url]

Well, I'm a little late in catching up with the newest versions of this game, but I did pick up City Folk a couple weeks ago. In some ways, I still prefer the original Gamecube version, but there are a lot of aspects of CF that I think are huge improvements.

Major improvements in the Wii version of Animal Crossing:
    1. Being able to wear different hats, helmets and various accessories on your head/face; along with different hairstyles.
    2. Making "Pro" designs.
    3. Redd's store is now open every week and his prices have dropped significantly.
    4. Slingshot!
    5. Blathers can now appraise fossils on the spot.
    6. Emotions are awesome, I just wish you could have more than 4 at one time.
    7. The "rolling log" effect has some positives (travel through the town is more smooth now, easier to catch fast moving bugs), but....

Stuff that I think is actually a step backwards compared to the Gamecube version:
    1. The "rolling log" effect has some negatives as well - mainly the boundaries between acres are less obvious making it difficult to get the proper number of trees planted.
    2. I really dislike how the grass wears away as you walk on it. In high traffic areas, you end up with giant patches of brown dirt and it looks ugly.
    3. Some of the more anti-social animal personalities from the Gamecube game seem to have been toned down too much. Mainly the snobby-girl and grumpy-guy personalities.
    4. Not a big fan of the autocensor when setting catchphrases, I think I should be allowed to have my animals cussing like sailors if I want them to (although I can understand the decision with the emphasis on online play).
    5. The controls just feel slow and cumbersome.
    6. Too much focus on multiplayer features at the expense of the single player experience for me. I loved how you could just buy a new memory card and create a new town on the GC version. If you want to run multiple towns on the Wii, you would have to buy a second Wii console. It should allow you to store a second town on an SD card (especially for those people who have no internet connection).

Anyways, I knew that there would be changes that I wouldn't be happy with, that happens with every game series. However, there are enough cool, new features in CF to keep me checking back everyday.

Some questions for those who have been playing City Folk for a while:
    1. If I have a friend with a Wii, but they are not interested in this game, can I still go and create a town on their console (using my game disc) and visit that town even though they never play it? Or am I only allowed to visit their town while they are actually playing the game? Would it still require two copies of the game?

2. When transferring a file over from the DS version (when you are given that option at startup), exactly what all is transferred over? Would I still keep items in my inventory, catalog and house? Does that require a Wi-Fi connection?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    1. If I have a friend with a Wii, but they are not interested in this game, can I still go and create a town on their console (using my game disc) and visit that town even though they never play it? Or am I only allowed to visit their town while they are actually playing the game? Would it still require two copies of the game?
    I haven't played City Folk bigb, but I did do a little bit of research on your questions. From what I have read it sounds like both players must own and be playing the City Folk game at the same time if you wish to visit another person's town directly via online (from your Wii to his Wii).

Quote Originally Posted by City Folk Guide
    Before connecting to anyone on another Wii, you'll need a friend code. Remember that the Wii doesn't operate like many current gen systems: you can't just hook up to some random player in another country. First, you'll need an active connection to the WFC, which is beyond the scope of this guide (check out the game manuals or nintendo.com for more information).

Once you've got an active connection, you need to head to the town gate at the north edge of town. Talk to Copper (the dog on the right) and select the "Friend Code!" option. After your system connects to WFC, you'll get your friend code. Write it down if you wish, though you can talk to Copper anytime to hear it again. Note that if you ever completely rebuilt your town, you'll need to get a new friend code.

Now, you and your friend need to exchange friend codes. You can register your friend code from anywhere by going to the "Friend Roster" option in the menu. Once you and your friend both have each other's friend codes, it's time to visit!

If you are hosting a visitor, you need to go to Copper and select "Invite Friends." He'll open the town gate, and... that's all you gotta do. You can run around and continue to live life as normal, fishing or bug collecting or whatever. If you are visiting someone else, you need to tell Copper "I wanna go out!" Then, select "Nintendo WFC," and select your friend's town from the list. (Note: if he's already got several visitors, you may be unable to go for the time being.) Once Copper verifies the connection is good, he'll open the gate and let you out.

When you visit someone over WFC, you're more limited in your actions. You can't go to the city and you can't assist your friend with his museum collection directly. Of course, you could drop the items on the ground and let him pick them up, if you're doing some sort of trade that way. Still, you can play together and chat with either the in-game keyboard or the new Nintendo voice chat thingy... Either way, it sure beats playing alone!
    There does seem to be a way to bypass this visitation problem though using only one City Folk disc and not requiring your friend to play. But to do so you'll need a DS and you would have to visit your friend in person and have him let you play on his Wii directly.

If your friend lives nearby and you're planning on visiting him in person, you can use the DS to temporarily hold your character's data. Make sure your battery is full before doing this, as it can be a bit of a drain. (In fact, you'll definitely want to take your DS power adapter with you!)

Okay, the first step is to power on your DS. Go to the system menu, then select "DS Download Play." This should open communication between the DS and Wii, and the DS will have a message that reads "Looking for software available for download..." The DS will wait at this screen for eternity, until you cancel it manually, so don't worry about things timing out on you.
    Okay, now... on City Folk, take your character to Copper, the dog on the right at the town gate. Select "I wanna go out!," and then select "DS Suitcase." Confirm you want to go out, and the DS should present you with a suitcase icon after a few seconds. Press A on the DS to accept it, and the DS will download your character's data. Once done, your character will run through the gate on City Folk, and you'll be transferred to the title screen.

Now, you can use the DS to run around the other person's town. Close the DS but don't power it down; this way it's in sleep mode and you can save some battery power. Once you're at your friend's house, on his title screen, select "DS Suitcase." His Wii will then look for any DS signal. Open your DS, and select "Connect to Wii" from the menu. After communication, your character data will transfer to his Wii, and you can run around to visit at your leisure.

When you're ready to go home, just repeat the steps. Have your DS download your character data once your character is done. Keep the DS on in transit, and when you're back at your house, select "DS Suitcase" from the title menu. The DS will transfer your altered data, and your character will finally be back home. With that, you're good to go, and finally turn the DS off.

If at any point something messes up, note that you can play your character on City Folk without needing to transfer him back from the DS. However, if you do this, anything you got from your friend is obviously lost. Worse still, any item your Wii character was carrying when he initially went to the DS will be gone. His house will be safe, but if he had any money on him, it will be gone. Be careful, and be sure to move back from the DS to the Wii to make sure it doesn't happen!
    2. When transferring a file over from the DS version (when you are given that option at startup), exactly what all is transferred over? Would I still keep items in my inventory, catalog and house? Does that require a Wi-Fi connection?
    From the looks of it it sounds like when you begin a new character on City Folk using the DS transfer option that your DS character's name/gender/face is transferred to your City Folk character. It also sounds as if most of the purchasable items from your DS game's Nook catalog (what you can purchase from Nook's store by mail order) is also transferred to your City Folk's Nook catalog. Money and actual items in your DS character's inventory/town do not transfer to City Folk however. Your DS character's town/items should remain intact on the DS game itself. Also, a wireless internet connection is not required to connect the DS to the Wii.

1. Insert Animal Crossing: City Folk into the Wii and turn it on.

2. Start a new game. Rover will ask you if you want to create a new character or if you want to move a character from your DS.

3. Insert the Animal Crossing: Wild World cartridge into your DS and turn it on. Tell Rover you want to "Move from DS!"

4. Choose "DS Download Play" on your DS, and select the Moving Van. Choose the character you want to transfer.

5. Transfer the data. When the data is transferred, Rover will prompt you to register your character. Select "Yep!" and your character from Animal Crossing: Wild World will now be available for play as a character in Animal Crossing: City Folk.

Thanks for the info. That kind of stinks about the friend code thing. Now my wheels are turning to see how I can get around that. I bought the game used for $25, so purchasing another copy to give to a friend would cost another $25, which is about what this game would have cost me brand new. So that might be an option. The other option would be to rent a Wii for a night, create a new town and visit it; but that would probably only get me some foreign fruit and a few other items.

Does anyone else on here play this regularly enough that you would be willing to exchange friend codes?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

So, is anyone playing New Leaf on the 3DS? I bought it last week (I bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of playing this game) and I love it. Definitely the best version of Animal Crossing so far. There's so much new, awesome stuff to do in this game, that I haven't even been trying to find ways to cheat my way into finding new items.

Deep sea diving is my favorite new feature. It takes a little bit to get used to the control scheme (plus you need to buy a wet-suit), but once you get it down it feels totally natural. You can also get Pascal to visit you every single day by diving for scallops, making it really easy to get his special items and complete the Pirate Theme.

The permanent island is a welcome addition as well, as you're no longer locked into one season while playing the game. It's always summer on the island, so you can go there to catch summer bugs and fish during those long winter months. Plus, you can participate in "tours", which are really just mini games, that give you access to an almost infinite number of randomly generated islands. Which is a great way to get foreign fruit. The mini games do serve a purpose, though, since you get badges that you can trade in for items that are only available on the island (like a wet-suit).

I haven't done too much with the mayor thing yet, except build a couple of bridges and a park bench. But it's nice that you have so much control over the look of your town. You can also set ordinances that cause stores to open earlier or close later (great for those of us playing this game with day jobs). The game also gives you the ability to choose the layout of your town before you start playing.

The Streetpass feature is probably the biggest surprise of the game for me. So far, I've already exchanged Streetpass data with 4 people just from keeping the 3DS in the glove compartment of my car (in sleep mode) while I'm at work. If you do get Streetpass data from someone, then you can actually visit their home, in the HHA showcase, and order any furniture that they have in their house (as long as the furniture is order-able). This is an amazing feature especially if you just happen to Streetpass with somebody who has completed a furniture set that you're interested in.

Now instead of just having hats and one-piece outfits, you get hats, shirts, pants, socks and shoes. So there is so much more mixing and matching and customization options for your townie. Also you can change your hairstyle AND the color of your eyes (although I haven't unlocked that feature yet). You can even cross-dress and wear clothing designed for the opposite gender, if that kind of thing appeals to you (I think it's a feature you have to unlock, though).

There are now a total of 19 expansions you can get for your home, plus you can customize the outside of your house with different roofs, outdoor paneling, fences, doorways, pavements, and even your mailbox.

Even though I haven't taken the risk yet, you can actually open your town up to other players who can visit your town over the internet. From what I understand, any random person with an internet connection, who just happens to be playing at the time, can visit your town if you do this. Which is obviously a danger because they can do a lot of damage to your town; but you can terminate the connection pretty quickly if they start cutting down trees or tearing up your flower garden. This is all based on what I've read. Like I said, I haven't tried the feature yet.

The Dream Suite is another major new addition and this one allows you to actually visit another town in a "dream" and you can do whatever you want (even destroy stuff) and none of it really counts because it's just a "dream". This is another feature that I haven't unlocked yet. I don't know if there are any lasting benefits of the Dream Suite or if it just allows you to go buck-wild in someone else's town with no consequences.

There's so much more to talk about: the thrift shop (which is awesome if you're tired of selling your furniture items at 25% of their value), furniture customization, the ability to hang items on the wall (including KK Slider's songs - which appear as posters), the fortune cookies, 360º camera rotation inside houses, and the list goes on…. you can even catch a whale shark with a fishing rod!

If any of the longtime AC fans are still hesitant to get this game, I can assure you it is totally worth it. Even if you have to buy a 3DS (or 2DS) just to play it.

Speaking of the 2DS, the 3D feature in this game isn't utilized at all; so you won't be missing anything if you decide to go with the 2DS instead of the 3DS. The only reason I went with the 3DS XL was because of the larger screen size. I think I turned the 3D feature on once with this game, just so I could look around inside my house in 3D, but I turned it off after that and haven't used it since.

So, is anyone playing New Leaf on the 3DS? I bought it last week (I bought a 3DS for the sole purpose of playing this game) and I love it. Definitely the best version of Animal Crossing so far. There's so much new, awesome stuff to do in this game, that I haven't even been trying to find ways to cheat my way into finding new items.
    My sister bought a copy of New Leaf for the 3DS back when it came out. I don't think she has played it much though with all her college stuff currently going on.