Thread: Aging Batman?

Aging Batman?

I have no idea why I just thought of this but I was just thinking:

We all know that when batman was first created his 'crime fighting days' age was about 25-32! somewhere in that range I don't know exactly, I'm sure someone out there does, but that's not the point! Then came the boy wonder: 'Robin' aka Dick Greyson who became Nightwing. yadda yadda yadda, Yeah I know you know the whole story. So what now, I think were up to 3 Robins total...maybe 4? The point is' now that Nightwing is in that 25-32 range age-wise, how the hell does DC justify that Batman is still going around at the sum age of 50-64 kickin' bad guys butts!
    I know there's been 'Elseworld' storylines making him older and there's that new WB batman where Bruce Wayne is about 70, but I'm talking about the regular Batman comic book series and current DC pantheon of heros life stories that all tye-in! I mean if he's gone through 3 robins atleast, and met each of them when they were about 10, then he has got to be atleast 50! Not saying that at the age of 50 people just become useless or anything but come on? he's 50? atleast!

What do you guys say to that? Help me out too, 'cause I haven't bought a comic in about a year and 1/2, so I have no idea what's going on anyways! I think the last DC comic I got was GL # 70-something! I think Kyle was about to become that 'Ion' dude err something, and the JLA had just picked new members!

I think there's a freeze-in-time aspect to comics. I seem to recall Captain America comics where he talks to the various presidents in office over a 30+ year period, but still is the same age. Yes, I know Cap was frozen in ice for decades and that could be stunting his aging. The Crisis on Infinite Earths series tried to deal with the different costumes/names/powers issue, in a fairly decent way. Children growing up is a problem, though, I think.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Bruce Wayne always stays in shape.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Being in good shape is the easy answer and the most logical. Still he's going to be the same age 20 years from now, when he should be 70. I think in comics you just have to give a little in that depatment. Heros don't get old and bad guys never stick around to make sure the good guys get killed.

In comics, logic is not a universal thing. Just like in the Simpsons. Bart has been 10 years old for more than 10 years. In the episode where Homer tells the story of his birth it says that he was born in 1983 (I think). That would make him 20 today, but he's not he's 10. Apu had all his babies and they are now todlers, but Maggie hasn't grown a bit. At this rate Apu's kids will be in college and the Simpson kids will not have aged a day. Plus, they wore shorts on Valentins day once. I know we don't konw where they are located, but they have had snow. Anywhere where it snows, it's never warm enough in Febuary to wear shorts.

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with Batman, but I was trying to illustrate a point. When dealing with comic characters it is not important to show age. Age takes away from the story and what the character is truely about.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Yeah it is like the stories are happenning day by day. The Simpsons are having their 300th episode, that would be less than a year if each ep were a day. Excpet fot time relative problems. Maggie not aging and Apu's kids etc., etc........
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I agree that it could be one day a year, but they've had several xmases and in IL we only have one Xmas a year.

Clearly the show wouldn't work if the kids aged, but logicaly it messes with my mind
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

Yeah, I know with all of fantasy/myth you have to have a little suspension of disbelief when you read or watch, we SW fans know that alot(especially of late) However, comics have become a little more serious over the past 5-10 years and the people who work on them take a lot of pride in them and take them quite seriously, that's why the term "graphic novel" has come into play in the past few years! No, NO ,NO! there not comics anymore, there graphic novels! Yeah and Batman's 30-something still! **cough** **cough** whatever!

Actually does anyone know how old Batman IS suppossed to be, in the current issues?
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"What happens in Indy STAYS in Indy!".[/FONT]
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"The only thing you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you".[/FONT]

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    If you think that's rough...Frank Castle was in the Vietnam War. If you figure a Pvt. Frank Castle joined the Marines in 1968 at age 18 (more likely he was older than that, but I'm illustrating a point) he would have been born in 1950. Making him pushing 60 in today's continuity. Everything in the Marvel Universe is post 9/11.

But back to batman. I think he's in his late 40's and Dick Grayson is jusssst north of his twentieth birthday.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."