Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks. I've had the system for a year and a half so I figured the warranty was already gone. I opened the system and cleaned it and now it plays DVD games. I read the FAQ on adjusting the voltage, and it made me a little nervous. I haven't called Sony, yet. I will probably look at that guide again about adjusting the voltage. If I don't think I can do it, I'll call Sony and see what they say.

My wife is ticked off because she bought The Sims for PS2 and can't play it because it is a CD based game.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

I completely understand being a bit nervous about opening up your PS2.

I hope you get it working again!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

A funny thing happened...

I've been putting off messing with the PS2 again. Well, my wife was bored, so she thought she'd try putting The Sims in the PS2 again. Sure enough, the dang thing worked. I don't know why, or how the PS2 magically cured itself, but now it runs all games.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

That IS goofy. I've had it happen where if i change the way my PS2 sits (horizontal or vertical) it may fix the problem. Never tried just letting it sit for a few days.

At any rate, glad to hear yuo're back in business.

*Sigh* Now I'm getting the error again. It was playing DVDs fine there for awhile, no flaws, but then I had some trouble with some scratched discs from BlockBuster (thanks alot for checking your merchandise, schmucks!) and ever since I tried to play a scratched disc (I didn't know it was scratched, I figured since I was renting it from a famous store such as Block Buster, they did checks on their items when they were returned, and considering this thing had a GASH in it and not just a scratch..) it won't play DVDs. I can play DVD features from games such as Bounty Hunter, but I can't play a DVD. I've tried to go over the different graphics and speed running options but they didn't help.

Do you think a lens cleaner thing will help or something?...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Not sure what to do, but I can assure you, having been a employee at BB, once the game or movie is rented twice, it will be scratched to hell, and no, most employees don't look at it. Oh, and after being rented twice, do not expect an instruction book either.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Same thing the DRE has happened to everyone I know who has Demolition and I found out that having your playstation standing verticle that it will start to srew it up that is why they discontinued the stand and stuf everyone I know (again) who has had their PS2 verticle has started messing up but all mine did was get extremely slow in gameplay and loading
    Yuuzhan Vong Figure Petition

The Otters are attacking the Crab party!

You can try using a commercial lens cleaner, but they best way to do it is to open the case and clean the lens yourself with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. That will take care of about 90% of DREs. I posted a link to Gamefaqs earlier with detailed instructions what to do.

Originally posted by Trip J
    You can try using a commercial lens cleaner, but they best way to do it is to open the case and clean the lens yourself with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip. That will take care of about 90% of DREs. I posted a link to Gamefaqs earlier with detailed instructions what to do.
    Do not use rubbing alcohol or q-tips on your laser lens. This is a massive mistake that people have been making with VCRs for years, I'm sorry to see it's passing over to the DVD side. The problem with rubbing alcohol is that it's not pure enough, when the alcohol evaporates, it leaves behind all the other crap which sticks to the lens building other stuff up on this crap or sometimes even eats the lens depending on what brand of alcohol you use. The q-tip is unwise because the cotton fibers are far too rough and scratchy on your lens and can come off and get into other systems. Less harsh materials include chamois swabs and pure alcohol (it evaporates fully leaving no additives behind) - though the alcohol may be strong enough to melt plastic housings and eat up small gears and their lubricants so be super careful.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.