Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Darth 'Lee Marvin' Tyranus Geonosis leg tremble.

Anyone noticed how hasbro has managed to immortalise two other actors with Count dooku figures? The first one looks like Vincent Price and this second one looks like Lee Marvin. I also noticed with a certain sinking feeling that it's got the same damn leg squeezing feature to make his arm flap around. Dear god on a stick what was hasbro thinking? Are they systematicaly trying to destroy this hobby? With sales last year dropping to a record low and stores havng to reduce everything to shift it you'd think they'd get the message that something is not right. A read of the boards here would tell them that adding more action features is not the golden answer. Whoever commisions the action features needs to be taken out at dawn and summarily executed. It's intolerable that these decent sculpts are totally trashed by crap features that disallow play and disallow alterate poses. Three out of the starting line up for 2003 are gimmicked to hell and this does not bode well for the rest of the year.

Jargo, you are so right!!

Check this out:

http://systems.figures.com/database/...&sitemid=30461

cant they just give him a simple calm pose with no gimmicks?!?

squeeze my legs together action

Originally posted by droidekas2
    squeeze my legs together action

I beg your pardon?...

Oh all right. Hold him down, fellas...

Re: Darth 'Lee Marvin' Tyranus Geonosis leg tremble.

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    Whoever commisions the action features needs to be taken out at dawn and summarily executed.
    Testify!

And I do agree that action features are a big part of the problem. They just plain ruin some figures. Prime example: TA Anakin. That toy has the best sculpt of any toy in the line, sans Ephant Mon. But did Hasbro think that would sell the toy on its own. Of Course Not! Some genius decided "Well, since good sculpts don't sell, I think this figure needs some extra. Let me think... AH HA! I got it! Lets put his legs in a stupid looking spread formation and make them kick out about a half a centimeter! We shall call it Jedi Power Kick!" ARGH! I hate that toy because of that stupid *** kick. He looks like a moron with his legs spread all the time like that. Now, what other action features suck? Let me think... Of course. Mace Windu. Holy crap. I think Hasbro found the one way to make a Samuel L. Jackson toy look not cool. Make his scream with his eyes closed like a little girl who just found the bogey man, and make his arm flail around like it had been dislocated and all the nerve endings had been cut. Stupid. But, don't worry Hasbro, if you are intent are putting some kind of action feature on a figure, take a look at the LOTR line from Toy Biz. I have run into no problems or have no complaints about those features. I even happen to like the one Gandalf The White comes with. And yes, those toys sell. Take a hint, Hasblow.

Also part of the problem is lack of articulation. Believe or not Hasbro, articulation sells. For instance, take a look at the Marvel Legends line. They are the most joint rich figures ever made, and as far as I can tell, they are flying off the shelves. Hasbro, at least give us some damn knee joints! How f**king hard is it to put 2 little joints on a figures leg like Count Dooku. Hell, the same with his elbows. If that figure had elbow, knee, and maybe some turning joints at the biceps, it would be the hands down best figure of the line. Same with HD Anakin, or CC Obi-Won, or KE Jango. Those knee joints in FB Fett were awesome and they allowed for some great poses. Yes, I know that Hasbro is coming out with a super poseable Padme soon, so I will review my complaints once I get that puppy home. But that damn cape better come off...
    Powdered Toast Man!

Record low sales? When did that happen, since Star Wars was the hottest selling toy of the summer. Only reason your getting clerances sales is to try to clear the way for next year. That and the greedy stores again over-ordering the first waves of stuff. Atleast Hasbro took a bunch of the over-ordered stuff back out of the goodness of their hearts.

As for the face sculpt, it isn't bad, better then LOTR's sculpt of Christopher Lee. That one is sad, frankly. It's because Christopher Lee didn't get real scanned like the rest of the cast, he was unavailable. Unsure if the same happened for Star Wars or not. But it still looks more like C.L. then the LOTR sculpt.

By the way, the action feature doesn't appear to be exactly the same. It seems to only move the arm, not swivel the waist. Plus look at the added articulation, the only thing that was missing from the first Dooku. Ball jointed left arm, and cut joints at both elbows. I can't tell about the wrists, but they probably are articulated also.

I see that your complaing about a great sculpt ruined by an action feature. How in this case, there is no buttons or levers or anything. I thought all the complaining about action features was over obvious buttons. Well, he doesn't have an obvious button.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 01-04-2003 at 09:43 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Well, the saber hilt is metal, which is always good, and the blade looks to be removable, which is great as well. Plus the new articulation...

When I saw this a while back, I decided not to buy it, but now that I've seen these pics I'm definately going to pick it up. Now I just hope Spear-Throwing Obi is as good.

No Binks,
    the complaining over action features is over the presence of action features.
    "Stroke 'n Squeeze" legs are just as offensive.

Hasbro and "the goodness of their hearts" ? Thanks to them, many many people are giving up the hobby which should leave plenty of action gimmick figures for you to find on the pegs.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    I thought all the complaining about action features was over obvious buttons. Well, he doesn't have an obvious button.
    For me, it doesn't have just to do with the buttons (although that does irk me a lot). What it has to do with is that action features limit what you can do with a figure.

When I buy the figures, I open them, and I play with them and then when I'm done playing, I'll find a place to display them. However, in wanting to display them, I'll try to find a decent pose to put them in to make it look (for a lack of a better word) cool. But with current practices, I'm unable to put the figure into the pose I want because Hasbro - or some other company - has taken the liberty of posing the figure for me. Because, let's face it, the action features can take away from the pose, because some will only allow for one. Take the first Dooku, for example. You could only have one pose for him (even though he wasn't too pre-posed). Unless you count moving his left arm as changing his pose. (I apologize for saying "pose" so much ).

It also takes away from play value, rather than (what some toy exec's think) adding it. It says: this is the only way you can play with this toy. You can only have it moving its arm up and down, or moving its waist back and forth. You can't play with it the way you want to. Because if you try to go against the action feature (which you can on some), you might break the dang thing, or just wear it out so much that an arm (or whatever) will just fall loose. It's pathetic.
    I'd like to use my imagination for some of this stuff...not let a toy company dictate how I should be playing. And that excuse: "Oh, well, it's not like it's the last Dooku (or Ani, or Obi-Wan) that we'll ever make," is crap. Because although that may be true, their later versions of some of those characters might bite. Had our first Dooku not had that action feature, it would have been okay. Yet something they might release down the road could be statue-like and have no movement at all. But the first version would have. Do you see what I'm saying? But that's just how I'm looking at it.

Bottom line:
    I DON'T LIKE ACTION FEATURES...I LIKE ARTICULATION AND DECENT PAINT JOBS!. Please, will someone at Hasbro finally listen to that?

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Yeah, they are so offensive that people are stating that they are moving on to collect LOTR's or MOTU stuff. Yet 90% you never hear a complaint about the fact that those have action features?

Hello, is this some sort of insane double standard. People are ok with other toyline having action features, but they are disgusted that they see them on Star Wars figures. Doesn't that sound a bit, oh I don't know, insane?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.