Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally Got Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw.... I Am Not Impressed...

Oh, boy, where do I start? Actually I should say that I'm becoming less and less impressed with the Masters of the Universe line every time I pick something up...and these two are just reinforcing that idea.

Let me just say that I AM QUITE TIRED OF ACTION FEATURES...on anything and everything. They are utter crap and I'm tired of being (basically) told how I should be playing with my figures.
    I love the sculpts of the MOTU line...love the paint jobs, like the accessories. But anything good is taken away by stupid obtrusive buttons and (usually because of those action features) a lack of articulation.
    Hell, the first line of MOTU figures in the 80's had more articulation. Example: He-Man back then had 6 (neck, waist, arms, legs) and our new He-Man only has 5 (I am not counting his waist because that's his action feature...you can't turn him at the waist, so it's not a point).
    I am also tired of these things not being able to stand up. Especially Man At Arms and Trap Jaw. Their weapons are so freakin' huge and heavy that they'll fall right over unless you lean their upper bodies back. Which makes them look like they're trying to limbo. It's getting to the point of being ridiculous.

Okay, I mentioned one problem of Trap Jaw...his mechanical arm. You cannot have his laser weapon attached, or he'll fall over. The other two (the claw and hook) are okay, but you still have to lean him back slightly, which is just stupid.
    I also do not like that his jaw cannot stay open. I understand that he's "Trap Jaw"...but I'm sure that he would be able to keep his mouth open if he wanted to.

Tri-Klops...meh. The sculpt is good, as always, the paint is groovy and I like his head gear (that's his whole point). But that dang button is just huge. Tri-Klops is quite limited in what poses I can put him in...as he is slightly pre-posed and his right hand is basically useless (fingers extended in some Force-push-like way).

I also finally got a Panthor (still no regular Battle Cat...I refuse to buy that Samurai crap)...and I actually do like him. I didn't like those huge honkin' rocket launchers on his back, but I took them off and now it doesn't look quite as bad. I also don't like its action feature: press a button on the back and the right arm comes up and the jaw opens. I don't like this because it won't stay that way and the arm doesn't come up nearly as much as it should (to look realistic, anyway....I would have eventually liked to pose Panthor against Battle Cat). And even if I found a way to keep the button down, Panthor will topple only standing on the three legs. But the primary reasons that I do like this toy are: his face and inside of the mouth (the thing just looks evil and angry)....and the velvet-like material (which I'm pretty sure was on the original version). I just have to be careful not to rub any of it off, because I know stuff like that comes off pretty easily.

Okay, there I vented. I really needed that. But it's just that I'm seeing toy company after toy company putting useless, limiting, obtrusive, ugly action features into toys and it's really making me start to wonder why I bother anymore. I really do like toys - that's why I buy them - but I can't keep buying stuff I don't like. I know that most toys are for kids, but I'm a big kid and I don't like the stuff. Hell, I have heard that...get this...most regular kids don't like the action features themselves...so what's the point? That is what I want to ask some toy companies. Someone please tell me! And don't say it's for added play value...because it's not!

Thanks for listening to my barking...

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Umm, what toy line are you talking about. MOTU had action features in the past, thats why they have them now. It's not making you play with them a certain way, and the action features work a hell of alot better then the Classic Stuff.

The new He-Man figure has more articulation then the old one, your just obiously ignoring them. The ball jointed shoulders are a huge improvement over the old way the arms were aattached. If you arn't counting the waist on the new He-man, you can't count it on the old one. They both have pretty much the same punching action. Not to mention we got articulated wrists on most of the figures as well.

My Trap Jaw stands fine, but you do have to adjust his arms a bit to blance out the weight of his body. Mine stands up fine with any of the attachments, including the laser weapons. Perhaps you should look into some stands. Spawn.com's online store sells ones that fit the He-Man line. The spring loaded jaw is cool, and was on the classic figure as well. What they should have done, was made his eyelet hook into a button that made it chomp though.

As for Panthor, my original one got a lot of love and the flocking never wore off. I don't think you need to worry so much, as they are well made toys. I think you need to check out some of the old He-Man figures, to find out how much an improvement these really are. Atleast Mattel now adays doesn't just re-use the same basic parts for almost every figure.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I understand that much of it is an improvement. And I do appreciate the ball joints in the shoulders and in the legs....I'm not ignoring anything. However, that stuff means little when that ball jointed arm is connected to an action feature. Wow, it's ball jointed, but with an action feature that means the joint will only allow it to go out away and then closer back to the figure's torso. I can't have them moving their arms down and KEEPING them down. Like with Trap Jaw's arm. It's pointless to have his laser attachment anyway, because he can only have the weapon pointing up. God forbid he should be able to be posed with it pointing at anything...

I shouldn't have to get stands. They should be able to stand on their own. I didn't know that anyone made stands for these figures, as their holes were bigger than some of the stuff I've seen. But again, point is that I shouldn't have to...

I know that most of the old MOTU figures had action features, yet the earlier stuff didn't. To my knowledge, the original He-Man didn't (because I don't remember his waist being like that), the original Skeletor didn't... Man At Arms didn't. Should I go on? Yes. Teela didn't, Prince Adam didn't, Mer-Man didn't, Tri-Klops didn't... No spring loaded crap. Just plain, simple articulation and snap on armor and other accessories.
    However, I will admit that I forgot about the wrist articulation on these figures, which I do like, and which the originals didn't have.

End...
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

They do stand, but the thing your complaing about is the fact that they are toys. Toys that kids play with, typically mean being tossed into a box when they aren't being played with. If your looking to display them, then your going to need stands. It's the same way with Barbie dolls, they are meant to be played with. If you want them to permenantly stand up, you need stands.

1st He-Man had twist and punch action, 1st Skeletor had twist and punch action, Man-At-Arms had twist and punch action, Teela had twist and punch action, Prince Adam had twist and punch action, Mer-Man had twist and punch action, and so did Tri-Klops. If Mattel hadn't been so cheap on most of these figures, and not used pretty much the exact same bodies, you may have had more varied action features.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

They don't stand. And yes, I have acknowledged that they are toys. And I have also stated that I also play with my toys. But you're telling me that they shouldn't have to stand, even if you're just going to play with them? I'm sorry, but in all my years of ever playing with toys, I know I've used more than two, which would mean one wouldn't be in my hand. I know that's a shocker... The other(s) should be able to stand up while waiting to be played with, especially on a flat surface without falling on its (or their) face(s).

And it was to my understanding that the original He-Man figures just had O-ring construction...similar to what they used on the GI Joe figures. Where that black rubber band was attached to the legs and waist (on the inside). So, that would be the only reason they had "twist and punch", but it was easier to keep their torsos in ONE position...you know, without coming back on you.
    And another crap thing about the twisty waists in our current line...my Teela is permanently stuck to one side (I'll include a pic).

And about action features not taking away from the play value. Has anyone even looked at Stratos? Please tell me what the hell you're supposed to do with that figure. His arms go up and down, and up and down, and wow, he can fire a missile. Again, another example of a great sculpt, but a pitiful figure overall because of a hindering action feature.....I threw that in because I needed to vent over Stratos....

However, I do know that all my arguments can be pushed aside with things like: "Well, just don't pose them that way, and they'll stand..." First, Teela will not stand, no matter what pose I put her into, and second, I should be able to pose my figures anyway that I want. Not being able to, that means I have to settle. And why should I have to settle?
    I know...I know...I know that they're only toys. Things meant to be played with and enjoyed. But you're telling me that even toys shouldn't have basic principles to them....like actually being able to stand up. Even if you're only playing with them? Or something simple like being able to use your imagination and put them into any situation you can come up with.
    Example: first day I got Man At Arms and Beast Man, I was playing around and in the course of playing I had Man At Arms get "knocked out". So, when it happened, I wanted Beast Man to hold Man At Arms in his arms and "carry" him off. Yet, I tried putting MAA into Beast Man's arms, and what happens? Oops, nope, sorry, can't happen. Because of Beast Man's wonderful "whip lashing action" MAA fell right out of his grasp.
    "Well, just don't have a figure carrying another figure..." Um...shouldn't I be the one to dictate that? They are toys, correct? Things to be played with? How the hell else am I supposed to play with them if I can't make up my own scenarios?
    Yes, I do understand that all figures have limits...but c'mon, that was like a simple action I did with most of my action figures way back when. Bebop or Rocksteady giving one of the Turtles a bear-hug (the best that he was able to, anyway), and that was fun...

End...

I accidentally hit "Enter" before I could attach a pic, but I have more than one anyway, so it's okay, I guess.
    First is of Man At Arms and Trap Jaw. I couldn't get the angle right with my camera to show this exactly, but it gets the point across. The bending is worse than it looks...

End..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doingthelimbo.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	4866  

This is the one of Teela, and I'm basically including this because I want to know if anyone else has this problem. If you have it, is yours stuck to one side?

End...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alwaysbent.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	4867  

Lman, while I hate action features on the SW line, with MOTU I think they're usually ok. Most of the arm-based ones don't limit poses because they can be ratcheted into different poses - Tri-klops is a perfect example of this, you CAN have his left arm at any point on the ratchet just by moving it backwards to each gear point; Skeletor is exactly the same way.

The articulation on new He-Man is higher than the classic HM even by your reasoning because new HM also has swivel wrists. Plus, the ball-jointed hips and shoulders provide much better range of motion than the classic. And didn't the classic HM have a twist-and-punch waist as well, the exact same gimmick as new HM?

I am a little bugged by the limbo-back-hunch sculpt of some of the figures, that is a bit annoying, but my Trapjaw stands like a champ in many regular poses even with the gun way out to the side or up in the air or out in front. His feet are heavy enough for just such needs, I can get him to stand totally normal most of the time. Actually, my Skeletor has more trouble standing than TJ.

I just got Tri-klops and Trapjaw, so they're still on my mind. The button on Tri-klops doesn't bother me much since Skeletor has one too, but I can see where it would others. Both hands bothered me at first, but since the wrists are articulated, I found a few cool poses for each hand.

Wasn't Panthor and Battle Cat each just an unposable statue in the original line?

Basically, the MOTU line is a toy line for kids with enough articulation to satisfy most collectors as well. The original line didn't have these great sculpts or nice paint jobs or cool accessories or anywhere near the quality of articulation this new line has. I'm not suggesting you should like the new line, but this is an update of that original action-feature-driven line - it's not like Mattel is adding these features in 20 years after the fact, this is a large part of what the line was about back then.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't have any problems standing any of my MOTU figures, except for Teela. Her legs are too far apart and her feet are molded incorrectly. But with a little work, I've been able to get her to stand.

I still need to get Orco, Tri-klops and Trap Jaw, they're in stores and I just need to quit being lazy. Still NO sign of Mechaneck. Does anybody have him?
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

It's funny Teela is an all new sculpt and she still has the same problems her original figure had, she can't stand without her staff. I wanted to put it in her hand opposite of what it is on the picture, but unfortunately it didn't want to stand that way.
    Mekaneck should be out with the next wave now that they have the packing problems fixed. He was released in limited quantitys already.

JIm