Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Actualy it now states all that about Yoda training the kids in the databank entries at the official site. Seems when the lickle kiddywinks first become padawan they are trained by the froggy one. Then as El Chux said, they are partnered with a jedi master at around 13. So yoda at some poibt is every Jedi's master. And they just continue to refer to him as he is the big cheese in the Jedi order. Perhaps it would have been clearer if Yoda had been a grand master but that sounds un jedi like to me. more like a dark side self agrandiosing title.

IMO. I think Qui-Gon was made to be the most daft and dumb jedi ever, and thus, he didn't disappear when killed because he was simply not that well connected with the force and never became one with it, even as a living jedi master.

Qui-Gon's disicions eventually cost the universe greatly. He wasn't even aware that he would be killed in the battle with Maul, as it seems that most other jedi masters are aware of when they engage in battle. His method of only looking into the present and not thinking about the future made him the most thoughtless jedi around.

If GL intended the whole midichlorian thing to apply to science, then how come the Jedi do disappear after they die. That isn't scientifically acurate. You don't see peole die here on earth and vanish into thin air.

In ROTJ Luke is actually buring the suit of Vader. Remember that he was mostly machine, so the suit would have been pretty stable.

In Ep I, who knows why Qui-Gon never disappeared. My whole guess is that GL forgot about that in the OT and didn't even really care. Plus he wanted to write the funeral scene as a bridge between the Obi-Wan asking to train Anakin scene and the final celebration scene. Plus he wanted us to hear Yoda's important words of wisdom at the end and couldn't figure out another way to make it happen.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

Here's my idea behind the whole thing. First of all, I believe for a Jedi to be able to mantain a physical prescence after they have died takes a few important things.

1. Concentration: Obi-Wan and Yoda were both at peace when they died. They were both calm, at peace, passive as Yoda stated to Luke in Empire. Obi-Wan ceased his attacks against Vader on the first Death Star, closed his eyes and saluted Vader with his blade. Yoda was also prepared for death, which is why he could also vanish and take on a spirit form, instead of merging with the force. Qui-Gon was worked up fighting Maul, he never had time to calm his mind, and prepare to pass on. He worried about Anakin's training, instead of his own spiritual passing. Alternatly, Anakin was to worried saying goodbye to his son, and wanting to see him with his own eyes, to properly prepare himself mentally.

2. Yoda and Vader knew that they would have to be sure to survive long enough, to train Luke as the New Hope for the Galaxy. They may have studied forbidden jedi technique's to mantain a spirit form on death, in the event they died before Luke was needed to be trained. That way they could still train him, even though they were dead. A less plausible theroy, but quite possible in the long run.

3. Vader/Anakin was the most powerful Jedi of his time, he survived whatever happens to him in E3, just by his control of the force and thru Palpatine. He was given time to make ammends and be at peace before he died. In saving his son, if there is some sort of cosmic deity in the Star Wars universe, his self sacrifice may have been enough for to allow this being to let him have his old body back, after he died even if it was in spirit form. Vader was also responsible for the Jedi purge, so he may have also come across the forbidden knowledge mentioned in point two, and studied it enough to manifest after death after his cursed mechanical body was destroyed by fire. (See point 4)

4. Anakin, at the time of his death was trapped within the machine body that kept him alive. Upon the burning of the suit, any tie it had to his spirit was destroyed, and he would be allowed to pass on into the next reality. Same reason the jedi probably burn their dead ritually, to allow their spirits to join with the force. Anakin was to weak to properly prepare to escape his mortal body, and with the bonfire, Luke released him from his cursed mechanical form.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I used to think of Vader's suit as "empty" when Luke burned it. With the release of TPM I just assumed the disappearing act was a rarity, with only Obi-Wan and Yoda being able to do it.

The Lucas quote from 1997 says that the technique is picked up between episodes 3 and 4, and it will not be explained on film.

But following TPM, Lucas said Qui-Gon's non-disappearance would be explained as the films continue.

I hope he goes back to the 1997 perspective.

If GL intended the whole midichlorian thing to apply to science, then how come the Jedi do disappear after they die. That isn't scientifically acurate. You don't see people die here on earth and vanish into thin air.

Have you gotten the hint GL. Midichlorians are wrong!

Originally posted by SithDroid
    If GL intended the whole midichlorian thing to apply to science, then how come the Jedi do disappear after they die. That isn't scientifically acurate. You don't see people die here on earth and vanish into thin air.
    Some do, ever heard of Spontanious Human Combustion? Sure it's not a total vanishing act, since sometimes it leaves behind some unburned remains. But there have been cases where the whole body has disapeered, leaving only some burns on the floor, and some ashes.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

True. Then how come Yoda and Obi-Wan don't spontaneous combust? Do they have a cooling effect? My whole point is that GL didn't THINK about half the stuff that is wrong with TPM. He just wrote it and forgot about the OT, which is poor, poor, poor, directing and writing on his part. Research is a huge part of script writing, which, unfortunately I think GL has lost the nack for.

Originally posted by SithDroid
    My whole point is that GL didn't THINK about half the stuff that is wrong with TPM. He just wrote it and forgot about the OT, which is poor, poor, poor, directing and writing on his part. Research is a huge part of script writing, which, unfortunately I think GL has lost the nack for.
    Well, we don't know all that happens in E2 and especially E3 yet, so I wouldn't say that the events of TPM don't carry over to the old trilogy. Remember, by the time of the events of A New Hope, its been 20+ years since the Jedi's were in existance in any numbers. Alot has changed in the galaxy, thanks to Palpatine. Im sure that he has destroyed almost any record he got his hands on of the jedi's and the times before he came to power. Thats why other then some of the higher ups in the Empire, such as Grand Moff Tarkin, Vader was thought of some eccentric sorcerer, going by Motti's comments.

Palpatine also no doubt kept the information about midiclorions supressed, ensuring that those capable of becoming jedi's after the purge were never detected. It also appears that in the Jedi order, they also kept the midiclorians information supressed. Probably so that people wouldn't think themselves capable of being a jedi, even though they weren't trained. I think Obi-Wan and Yoda never mentioned to Luke about the whole midiclorian think, just to capture his awe as teenager about what the jedi's are. And we know that Obi-Wan atleast in the OT, wasn't much for telling Luke the truth anyway.

I think we need to wait and see where the cards fall in E3, before we say that Lucas screwed up on TPM with his script. Like Lucas has said numerous times, the movies are meant to one day be watched back to back, and that they will flow into each other, and form a cohesive tale about the Rise, Fall, and Redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Question

I have another theory: I've heard of two different aspects to the Force, the Living Force, and... well some other Force. Could it be that whatever "mode" of the Force you're tuned in to dictates what happens to your body upon death?
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars